Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: Is 2O 2O is the future of oneday cricket?
Yes 3 33.33%
Maybe 3 33.33%
No 3 33.33%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14-06-2005, 01:18 AM   #11
Sameeralord
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by Flop@Jun 14 2005, 01:01 AM
I actually thought that the 20/20 referred to eyesight.

But please continue explaining the rules. I've always wondered how to play cricket. I have a few questions about the rules you've already posted, though:

1) Why are 20 overs more entertaining than 50 overs? Is it because the game drags out for too long otherwise? And why do you call it oneday cricket, do some cricket matches last more than a day?

2) What's a run? Is it like a point?

3) What's the rope you're referring to? Is it the same thing as the boundary on the diagram?

4) What are the sticks in the ground for, and why are there three of them? I've always wanted to know that.

I hope I don't come off as a complete moron, but I've never seen a cricket match, and I don't believe it's played anywhere around here, if it's played in Denmark at all.
Good questions k: . Thanks for asking these questions because you made my 100 th post a useful one.

Here are the answers

1) Why are 20 overs more entertaining than 50 overs? Is it because the game drags out for too long otherwise? And why do you call it oneday cricket, do some cricket matches last more than a day?

As I have said normal oneday cricket is 50 overs. Each side get 50 overs and an over=6 balls. So in one hour one side can ball about 10 overs. So roughly it would take about 5 hours to bowl 50 overs. After that you get a rest for half an hour and then the other team bats. It would also take 50 overs. So the game can be finished within oneday it is called a onedayer. In onedayers teams where coloured kits. The matched that are played in white kits and is more than one day is called test matches. In test matches there are NO OVERS the match would go for 5 days.

2)What's a run? Is it like a point?

Yes the aim is score many runs as possible and let the opposing team not pass your score.

3) What's the rope you're referring to? Is it the same thing as the boundary on the diagram?

Yes sorry for not making my self clear in above posts.

4) What are the sticks in the ground for, and why are there three of them? I've always wanted to know that.
Those stick in the ground are called stumps. As you can see they are oppsed to each other. Each stump has 3 sticks. It is labelled in the diagram. The batsman has to stand infront of the stumps without fully covering it. If he missed the ball when the bowler bowls it and if it hits the stumps you are out. There are 3 sticks so they would fall down when hit by the ball.

Hope that explains it k: . I'll post more rules as we go!!
PS: My 100 the post k: k:

Sameeralord is offline                         Send a private message to Sameeralord
Old 14-06-2005, 01:24 AM   #12
Flop
Hero Gamer

Yeah, I think that pretty much covers it. Thanks a lot for the answers.

Feel free to keep posting rules, though, if there are more. It's very interesting, although it does seem to resemble baseball in a number of ways (I hope I won't be subject to a digital lynching for posting that ).

I'll see if I can catch a match the next time I'm in the UK.
Flop is offline                         Send a private message to Flop
Old 14-06-2005, 01:27 AM   #13
Sameeralord
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by Flop@Jun 14 2005, 01:24 AM
Yeah, I think that pretty much covers it. Thanks a lot for the answers.

Feel free to keep posting rules, though, if there are more. It's very interesting, although it does seem to resemble baseball in a number of ways (I hope I won't be subject to a digital lynching for posting that ).

I'll see if I can catch a match the next time I'm in the UK.
If you are in UK. Ashes tour is a must watch. If you are in UK now put the tv on this week cause 20 20 matches are going on between England and Australia.
Thereare many more rules I'm going to post them!!
Sameeralord is offline                         Send a private message to Sameeralord
Old 14-06-2005, 01:34 AM   #14
Sameeralord
Game freak

Ok here we go to next set of rules

* Now though the match is set for 50 overs,20 overs, test etc you can't always bat for 50 overs or 5 days.
- The reason for this is that you have 11 players in one team. Which mean if you get 10 people out in one team you get them all out. In cricket you always have to bat in pairs. So let's say a team was batting in a 50 overmatch and then other team bowlers got all the 10 wickets in 30 th over. Then the other team bats for normal 50 overs. The team batted first has a disadvantage now because they all could bat for 30 overs and the other team has 20 extra. So you always try to get all thier wickets.

More rules coming soon!!
Hey by the way any other people who knows about cricket please don't hessitate to add more rules.
Old 14-06-2005, 01:48 AM   #15
Sameeralord
Game freak

If you are unclear of anthing please ask!!

Here is a picture that shows how you go out?

Old 14-06-2005, 01:54 AM   #16
Sameeralord
Game freak

I would keep on adding rules but I HIGHLY RECOMMEND going to this online cricket game site and play this online cricket game. It would give you good idea about cricket!!

www.stickcricket.com
here is the quick straight link Cricket online game
Old 14-06-2005, 06:53 AM   #17
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

Hmmm whilst I do agree that it doesn't knacker out our teams and that I can watch it after school...

It isn't too interesting to watch due to the batsmen breaking in for about a quarter of the match, playing as safe as they would in a test for 10 and then all getting out as they try to slog the ball in the 16th and 17th.

@ people who don't understand cricket -

Runs are sort of like points, but it is not uncommon for teams to get 300 per innings in a test match. Because there are 2 innings each, this equates to about 1200 points at the end of a match.
PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks
Old 14-06-2005, 07:01 AM   #18
Iron_Scarecrow
Home Sweet Abandonia

I hate that stick crichet game.

I never actually watched a 20 20 match yet, but it doesn't sound like a very good idea to me. I suppose it was the same for limited over matches when they were first introduced.

But I enjoy Indoor Cricket much more they should show that more often. I have a game in an hour and a half myself.
Iron_Scarecrow is offline                         Send a private message to Iron_Scarecrow
Old 14-06-2005, 08:32 AM   #19
Sameeralord
Game freak

Here are some proffesional shots played in cricket.

These are not must play shots. But learning them is the key for a good score.
Old 14-06-2005, 02:05 PM   #20
Kearnsy
Games Master

Love the explainations and the pictures!! k:

To answer your question:
I put a maybe as it could attract all those who dont like to spent hours at a match. But to use a bad pun it just aint cricket!

I (being an Aussie) have watched many a match but I think the great thing about cricket is to spend a day with mates and beers and enjoy hours in the sun.

PS. Well come back just you wait!! *shakes fist*
Kearnsy is offline                         Send a private message to Kearnsy