Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 19-05-2006, 10:11 AM   #11
paulypoos
Abandonia nerd

Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou...this site just gets better and better, what a great addition to the game library.

k:
paulypoos is offline                         Send a private message to paulypoos
Old 19-05-2006, 11:29 AM   #12
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
in DosBox the sound FX can´t be enabled; with VDM Sound the game runs really slow (but with sound fx (: )
Odd.
In DosBox it all worked allright for me (I used Sound Blaster 2 emulation setting), and VDMSound did not run it at all.
Try using the install.exe in the game directory and set the sound to Sound Blaster.

Quote:
A score of just 3 for a version of Flashback. Wow, that's a tough judgement. Not that I disagree, I haven't played it yet.
As I said, the original has 5/5 in my book. :whistle:
If you want the reasons for dropping the score:
- Removal of subtitles. The fact that they added digitized speech didn't mean they had to get rid of them (making them optional would be much better). -0,3 points.
- Totally botched outro. :not_ok: The original was absolutely stunning - the first time I saw it it was so beautiful it made me cry. This one does not even come near to that standard, and that fact alone = -1 point.
- No improvements to the gameplay except for fixing that one bug. Come on, it's not like they couldn't even least replace the sound samples with higher quality ones. And they have the nerve to describe that as "enchanced". -0,7 points.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 19-05-2006, 11:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluntman@May 19 2006, 07:50 AM
Personally, I prefer "Another World". Flashback gets a strong 4/5 in my books, though. And I'm still searching for "Heart Of The Alien", which was the sequel to "Another World".
Heart of the Alien is available on the-underdogs.info . I think it's a pale imitation of Another World.

Old 19-05-2006, 01:48 PM   #14
Eva02Soul
Game freak

Well, it is an end to the story, but the above poster is right. The alien handles like a shopping cart, not at all like the original

Anyway, to make this relevant, did anyone play the flashback sequal and what did they think of it?
Eva02Soul is offline                         Send a private message to Eva02Soul
Old 19-05-2006, 02:08 PM   #15
DonCorleone
Hero Gamer

Do you mean "Fade To Black" or what? But no, I haven´t played it yet....
DonCorleone is offline                         Send a private message to DonCorleone
Old 19-05-2006, 02:38 PM   #16
Shadowbrother

I remenber this game from a distant past... Mmmm, memories of ye ol' 386-days...
Shadowbrother is offline                         Send a private message to Shadowbrother
Old 19-05-2006, 02:47 PM   #17
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

I've got Fade To Black, but didn't have time to play it yet.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 19-05-2006, 03:04 PM   #18
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by DonCorleone@May 19 2006, 02:08 PM
Do you mean "Fade To Black" or what? But no, I haven´t played it yet....
I've played the demo years ago... I remember that I liked it, but my PC wasn't able to handle all that uber-3D graphic
Old 19-05-2006, 03:08 PM   #19
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally posted by Eva02Soul@May 19 2006, 03:48 PM
Anyway, to make this relevant, did anyone play the flashback sequal and what did they think of it?
From the Flashback forum:

Quote:
I have "Fade to Black" and it is horrendous compared to master piece that was Flashback. A earlier (predated TR by a year) and bad attempt at 3D graphics and gameplay [...]

I never did get far in Fade to black, I got so frustrated with the controls I gave up.
Old 19-05-2006, 04:28 PM   #20
ShadowXIX
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluntman@May 19 2006, 07:50 AM
Personally, I prefer "Another World". Flashback gets a strong 4/5 in my books, though. And I'm still searching for "Heart Of The Alien", which was the sequel to "Another World".
I kind of feel the same Flashback and Another World "Out of this world" (in the states) are two of my all time favorite games. But I lean alittle towards Another world since it was the first game of this type and something about the setting really drew me into the game. I was able to play through the entire game without dying a single time on the SNES becuase I played it so much They are both great though and both hold a great place in my book.

I had Heart Of The Alien on Sega CD infact that was the game I bought Sega CD for. It wasnt the same it was more like the orginal compared to the Flash back sequel which went off into 3D. But they lost something in the translation the controls were not as tight and story was not nearly as Movie like as the first game.

*SPOILER*

Plus they killed off Lester in the begining of the game After the ending fight in the first game I assumed he was just injured when he and the alien took off on that dragon. But in the begining of Heart of a Alien he is dead reduced to a skeleton and entombed in a stone coffin by his alien friend

That was a blow like killing off Solid Snake in the begining of the second Metal Gear game for a MG fan. I wanted to see him perhaps make it home to earth or atleast live a long life in his new planet.
ShadowXIX is offline                         Send a private message to ShadowXIX