Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 07-04-2005, 09:03 PM   #11
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I doubt that. You cannot play your DVD's on there. You cannot rip your DVD's to there as it does not have a HDD and the battery only last for 2 hours when watching movies. How ever nice it will be to play games with it is not going to enter the multi-media world as a contender let alone one that will dominate it.
Rabyd Rev -- 2 Timothy 2:15
The Niles is offline                         Send a private message to The Niles
Old 08-04-2005, 02:57 AM   #12
Caged
Game Wizzard

sounds like an expensive hobby, LOL, but thx for the read
Caged is offline                         Send a private message to Caged
Old 08-04-2005, 12:01 PM   #13
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by The Picard@Apr 7 2005, 04:03 PM
I doubt that. You cannot play your DVD's on there. You cannot rip your DVD's to there as it does not have a HDD and the battery only last for 2 hours when watching movies. How ever nice it will be to play games with it is not going to enter the multi-media world as a contender let alone one that will dominate it.
It is true, unless sony start to sell psp-dvd-r.

As for gaming part and music, you can use memory stick for them. (I belive they developing emulators already, but it will take some time to get it)
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 08-04-2005, 01:33 PM   #14
DeathDude
Caught Somewhere In Time

The psp has it's own unique format with the umd disks that they'll be using for dvd movies and such, and I believe the cost is slightly more expensive than a normal dvd movie.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/ Upcoming Concerts will be attending 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden!!, 7/27/08: Judas Priest
DeathDude is offline                         Send a private message to DeathDude
Old 08-04-2005, 03:07 PM   #15
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Yes and the quality is not as good (only 1.8GB storage per UMD) and as far as I know there is no methode for play back on a TV (I could be wrong about this). The one part you cannot get a decent workaround for though, no matter how much money you spend (extra batteries are available but who wants to change his battery mid movie?) is the two hour battery life for movie playback. That is not even a single movie most of the time.
Most people also already have a DVD collection which you would have to replace with the (more expensive) SONY standard if you want to watch them on the road (instead of just ripping them to HDD for Portable Movie Players).
The PSP only accepts SONY's own standard memory sticks (not SD or CF) which are insanely expensive (€180 for 1GB as against €60 for the same amount of CF or SD memory).

You might think I'm against the PSP in general but I'm not. I have not seen one myself but the specs look impressive and really, what is not to like about a portable PS2 (or close to that)? I am saying that it is not truelly suitable for multimedia functions as other devices beat the pants of it in that department.
Rabyd Rev -- 2 Timothy 2:15
The Niles is offline                         Send a private message to The Niles
Old 08-04-2005, 03:13 PM   #16
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I don't think you are against PSP, just I believe that SONY will have to do something if they like people to use PSP. I will never get it, if I can't burn my own disks (not the games, but with music and movies).

Same thing with DS, where I can already use my FC, but will wait till they get one for DS.

As for media center, I just worked with Dell's X50, pocket PC. Interesting thing. I have a trouble to get it to connect to our wireless network. :blink:
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 08-04-2005, 03:16 PM   #17
DeathDude
Caught Somewhere In Time

I agree with ya Picard, all the points you mentioned on the umd, very true stuff, many of those points have been mentioned by a lot of the anyalists in the video game industry.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/ Upcoming Concerts will be attending 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden!!, 7/27/08: Judas Priest
DeathDude is offline                         Send a private message to DeathDude