Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 05-01-2005, 01:14 AM   #11
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by Titan@Jan 4 2005, 09:02 PM
For DSL, it's either Router or nothing... trust me.. Switch is pointless...
Oh, I missed to mention you need two cards if modem has network conection. In the case of USB modem, switch is enough.
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 05-01-2005, 03:11 AM   #12
twisted-mystic
Abandonia nerd

if your running windows, connnect the computers (Via xover , switch, whatever) to the computer that connects to the internet, go to your network settings, right click on your modem connection, choose share. that should set up ICS ( assuming your using win2k or xp), then set the other computer to use DHCP. Easiest thing to do at that point is reboot the second pc. There are other things you can do but probally outside the scope, for instance, dial on demand, allows the other computers connected to your computer to dial out on your modem.

Quote:
Yeah, like pirating one client. Mainly why I said I never encountered a provider stupid enough to do so around here. You bet half the planet would not have a legit connection
Well, theres a problim. I have broad band, if i put my network behind a switch or hub (where all comps have a Golobally unique ip addy) i pay for the extra IP's , but if i'm behind a router, or using ICS (for instance, my server connects to the internet, but i'm on another PC) then I am unknown to the ISP, the only thing my ISP sees is what they assign IP addresses to.

Since it's the IP addresses that cost, they don't care how many people i put through my computer as long as i'm not abusing my bandwidth prividgles. They cap the bandwidth anyway :bleh:

Google NAT(Network Address Translation) for a better explination
twisted-mystic is offline                         Send a private message to twisted-mystic
Old 05-01-2005, 04:40 AM   #13
Titan
Gnome

Send a message via ICQ to Titan Send a message via MSN to Titan Send a message via Skype™ to Titan

Quote:
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire@Jan 5 2005, 03:04 AM
Quote:
Eagle: We have a few who allow it here... it has its uses..
Yeah, like pirating one client. Mainly why I said I never encountered a provider stupid enough to do so around here. You bet half the planet would not have a legit connection.
I was talking about dailup there actualy..

Whole family sharing 1 account..

As for DSL, i've never seen someone allowing more then one session either..
Old 05-01-2005, 07:17 AM   #14
Tuttle
Super Freak

Send a message via AIM to Tuttle

My old ISP allows 4 simultaneous DSL logins with the same username/password so you can use a switch. Things are kind of different down here though -- there's a monthly download cap on DSL, after which you either pay about $80-$100/GB or have it cut down to dialup speeds. By the time you also consider the cost of getting other houses' lines a low-end DSL connection so the line is activated, sharing a single connection between more than one house just doesn't make any economic sense.
Tuttle is offline                         Send a private message to Tuttle
Old 05-01-2005, 11:58 AM   #15
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
My old ISP allows 4 simultaneous DSL logins with the same username/password so you can use a switch. Things are kind of different down here though -- there's a monthly download cap on DSL, after which you either pay about $80-$100/GB or have it cut down to dialup speeds. By the time you also consider the cost of getting other houses' lines a low-end DSL connection so the line is activated, sharing a single connection between more than one house just doesn't make any economic sense.
Yes, I completely agree with you. That was not the problem itself tough: how about someone steal or hack thru and get your password and "share" the connection with you without you knowing?

For example here I don't have to write a pass each time I log on; I'm on cable, which mean that I have a single cable running from my provider to my house (so to speak). But the cable itself, if someone is knowledgable enough to actually know which one, run freely on the top of a wall with all the other cables entering the building (I'm in an appartment). Someone could simply create a T connection and bring the new cable to his house, and he would get free cable connection... If 2 connections at the same time was allowed, of course.
Old 05-01-2005, 12:58 PM   #16
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I have cable at home, and I did setup couple DSL and one wireless (use to set up couple ISDN lines at the time).

My cable provider does not care how many PCs I have connected on single modem, and they don't care about brendwith. They are trying to stay in bussines as more and more prople moved to cheaper DSL. (I'm paying about $50 for 3.5Mb/256Kb connection, and I can get 1.5Mb/128Kb for about $27) The doubled speed about year ago, just so we get a bit more for our money.

I am using firewall as router, and from time to time (like right now) I put my linksys router, so I can upgrade my firewall PC.

Still waiting to see what hardware/software yamcha has. :blink:
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue