Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 22-12-2005, 10:21 AM   #1981
blue123
Abandonia nerd

I HATE Ethereal's! Came across a few on my last terror mission and... you can guess the rest. I really need to find out how to build a Psi lab...
blue123 is offline                         Send a private message to blue123
Old 22-12-2005, 10:59 AM   #1982
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Capture a live Ethereal or a Sectoid with Psi abilities, then research it.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 22-12-2005, 12:35 PM   #1983
Kearnsy
Games Master

Quote:
Originally posted by blue123@Dec 22 2005, 11:21 AM
I HATE Ethereal's! Came across a few on my last terror mission and... you can guess the rest. I really need to find out how to build a Psi lab...
I take it this means you are no longer losing every mission!

Before Psi labs,I tend to move faster in Ethereal missons, so I can take them out before they can Mc you repeatedly. There weaker physically so you can move in smaller groups or on their own, this will cover ground faster... as for getting Psi labs, dont forget your stun launchers! k:
Kearnsy is offline                         Send a private message to Kearnsy
Old 22-12-2005, 12:57 PM   #1984
blue123
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by Kearnsy+Dec 22 2005, 01:35 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Kearnsy @ Dec 22 2005, 01:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-blue123@Dec 22 2005, 11:21 AM
I take it this means you are no longer losing every mission!

Before Psi labs,I tend to move faster in Ethereal missons, so I can take them out before they can Mc you repeatedly. There weaker physically so you can move in smaller groups or on their own, this will cover ground faster... as for getting Psi labs, dont forget your stun launchers! k: [/b][/quote]
Yes, I am actually winning every mission. Except for the ones with MC...
blue123 is offline                         Send a private message to blue123
Old 22-12-2005, 02:38 PM   #1985
rlbell
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by the_fifth_horseman@Dec 22 2005, 11:59 AM
Capture a live Ethereal or a Sectoid with Psi abilities, then research it.
Thats actually one of the interesting changes from UFO to TFTD. Transmission resolvers are easy to get in UFO (interrogate alien navigator) but getting the psi lab requires capturing an alien that can MC your troops. In TFTD, the MC lab can be researched after interrogating a captured terrorist, but the transmission resolver secret is known only to lobsterman navigators. Being able to mind control in TFTD still requires capturing an alien that can MC your troops, but you should be able to attack the likely target with troopers with high MC strength.

P.S.: Is there any way to crosspost? Normally that would not be an issue, but some of stuff in one of the UFO and TFTD threads might be of interest to the other.
rlbell is offline                         Send a private message to rlbell
Old 22-12-2005, 02:58 PM   #1986
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

No way to cross-post, you can only re-post it or post a link to this page here.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 24-12-2005, 03:15 AM   #1987
Flowbar

I've never used proxies much before, but I really start to enjoy them in my current game.

I'm using tbe Xenocide EU-ET version from 2005-03-28 k:, but it seems buggy with proxies, they often (but not always!) go off at random end of turns, just as if they were primed with some time too. I've never experienced this in the basic game before, is this a patch bug maybe?
:help:
It's simply not fun to put your two ambush squads a bit away to the left and right of the UFO door with a proxie two spaces from the door, just to see it go off, creating a smoke cloud, that serves as a base for hit-and-run attacks for aliens, nicking off my supposed-to-be ambushers one by one...
:ranting:
My tip-of-the-day:
If you want to give your mind controllers a lot of practice, make sure you save one or a few aliens at the end of a battle and then let all MC:ers get to attack say at least 5-6 times each. Up to 40-45 psi skill I just go for panic attacks, but around that switch to mind control. In this way they gain 1-6 (7?) skill points per battle. Works even against the small scouts with a single alien. Then practice reaction fire when you're satisfied. After one month of scout hunting, you should have all around 80+ psi skill, then go to Cydonia. Skip this if you want to role play, since it spoils the fun somewhat.
Flowbar is offline                         Send a private message to Flowbar
Old 24-12-2005, 04:06 AM   #1988
Cockroach
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by gufu1992@Dec 20 2005, 02:22 AM
Tips Tips Tips
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1)DON'T use Ligthning
A:Ligthning takes lots of elerium(I think even more than avenger)

3)Use weak psies as a cannonfodder!
A:Um - or they die or the half of squad after he get's Mind Controled

4)Save TU
A:Many guys loose guys because they forget to save TU's - they don't
have enough to kill the alien!

5)HE+rookie= :evil:
A:Yep-when rookie down HE go boom and alien... ...well that's one less corpse

6)Kill weak ones*
A:We don't need them aren't we

7)NEVER stun or Mind Control civilian
A:They turn evil...

9)Shoot terror enemy's by lasers
A:Best guns of all!

10)Reapers are weak
A:rookie+rifle+auto shot+reaper=owned alien carnivore

11)DON'T double wield* :guns:
A:Go play apocalipsys if you wanna duel wield!

12)Blast sectopods from the back
A:If not...* :help:

I shall give more! :Titan:
1. Lightning is an excellent craft for rapid troop deployment on the battlefield. Just try walking through the walls...

3. It's far better to use them to draw psi attacks away from your other guys. Equip them with things like smoke grenades, flares, stun rods, or standard pistols if you have power armour.

4. Very much so. Also if you are low on TU, your reaction score goes down and you are less able to get opportunity shots.

5. It's a waste of $40k. Not to mention that you could take out other men if they are within 7-8 tiles.

6. Just sack them. It hurts your morale and makes other troops more likely to panic or go berserk.

7. If you stun them, they no longer exist as far as scoring goes. So if you can't save them, stun/mc and get a 0 instead of -30.

9. At least for sectopods, it's the way to go. Anything else, the heavy plasma owns all.

10. Erm...they have about 160hp I believe.. You'll be lucky to drop more than 1 per rifle clip.

11. Don't dual wield rifles. If you have pistols though, ALWAYS have that other hand doing something, be it holding a grenade or a different class of pistol that complements the other. I tend to prefer a laser in one hand and either a plasma or standard in the other (volume of fire stacked with either stopping power or accuracy).

12. Amen...if you can get there at least... >.>
Cockroach is offline                         Send a private message to Cockroach
Old 24-12-2005, 04:08 AM   #1989
laiocfar
NOD Commander

When i found an ethereal i evacuate all troopers and send the tank in a suicide attack for cover the retreat.... sometimes the tank´s attack can give u enought points to accapt the fact of lose money and the mission. Once i was forced to assault an undamaged ethereal´s battleship(i was needing the income hardly and without seeing an alien in weeks). To enforce the mission i send mostly top officers(they tend to got good MC skills)....Well, MC, sectopods and the fact that both squads were ambushed to near the ship (sectopods at rear and the ethereals going out all the time) make a result of -451 even when i manage to avoid sectopods by moving into the ship killing many ethereals, even when a wounded trooper do it to one of the power source stations...

About ambush and being ambushed, only in base defence missions u can ambush them. In the others, it´s more likely u are going yo be ambushed cuz they are scatered in the whole map and all your people is in the Skyranger. Smoke is only usefull to get out of the Skyranger or to cover an already moved soldier that is in a huge need of cover.
Old 24-12-2005, 02:43 PM   #1990
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

MC-ing aliens and alien sniper attacks especially when your troops are exiting your craft, are the reason why I always take 1 (in a skyranger) or 2 (in an avenger) laser tanks.
I don't need the money (just have some engineers producing goods for sale non-stop, like laser cannons -> net over $40000 per month profit, per engineer) and also in terms of score I don't care about lost tanks.