Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 12-07-2007, 01:51 PM   #181
Frodo
One ring to rule them all...

I have a different box to the one shown in Extras.
Should I scan & upload it, or is AB not interested in another box scan?

Frodo is offline                         Send a private message to Frodo
Old 15-07-2007, 10:37 PM   #182
Usmanov
Kyrandia 3 was my first adventure game with speech. I must say I never looked back after that. This game is simply hillarious and the many solution options provided through the first half of the game is still as of this day unmatched in the genre.

I randomly cast sentences from this game around me in my everyday life. It's just had such a huge impact on my life as a gamer and I recommend it to everyone. I still have my original package for Mac but no computer to play it on. Guess it's not the same without the voices so for now i'll skip it.

[BEEEP]@yahoo.com

Old 15-07-2007, 10:41 PM   #183
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Please, no email adresses in the forums.
Old 18-07-2007, 06:58 PM   #184
Usmanov

Hi all!

I'm trying to get this game started, with speech and everything. Downloaded the full cd version.

My computer runs in windows XP.

I have tried a few things.

Step one. Installed the game through windows. In the folder that was created I choose setup. Game asks me to configure sound. I do, and a window comes up that says checking sound hardware. And then it all seems to freeze up and I'm stuck with that window.

Step two. I try Dosbox. Wee, always hated these black screens.. But I know the basics. Created folders (mounted) and installed through it. This time around the menus are more graphical, promising. I can do a soundtest through here that works! But then it tries to access benchmark files (whatever that is, Tina seemed to have the same problem but I did not find a proper solution to the problem in this thread. Except for tips of running it on win 98 and stuff, that's not for me)

If anyone has a clue on how I can get it running I'm all ears!

Thanks
Usmanov is offline                         Send a private message to Usmanov
Old 19-07-2007, 07:23 AM   #185
Jishuku

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Usmanov @ Jul 18 2007, 08:58 PM) [snapback]300079[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Hi all!

I'm trying to get this game started, with speech and everything. Downloaded the full cd version.

My computer runs in windows XP.

I have tried a few things.

Step one. Installed the game through windows. In the folder that was created I choose setup. Game asks me to configure sound. I do, and a window comes up that says checking sound hardware. And then it all seems to freeze up and I'm stuck with that window.

Step two. I try Dosbox. Wee, always hated these black screens.. But I know the basics. Created folders (mounted) and installed through it. This time around the menus are more graphical, promising. I can do a soundtest through here that works! But then it tries to access benchmark files (whatever that is, Tina seemed to have the same problem but I did not find a proper solution to the problem in this thread. Except for tips of running it on win 98 and stuff, that's not for me)

If anyone has a clue on how I can get it running I'm all ears!

Thanks
[/b]
Hey Usmanov. First of all, when it asks you "would you like us to detect possible sound drivers for your sound card?", choose no. Then a new window will appear where you can choose manually instead. I chose Sound Blaster.
Secondly, have you read my .nfo file? It explains that I haven't gotten this game to work by mounting it, you have to burn it to a CD-R. Otherwise the benchmark won't work, and the game won't start. (if you have already installed the game, uninstall it before installing it again from a cd)
It also explains how to get the game to work with sound in Windows XP. (so, no, i never used dosbox or anything like that, just XP)

Good luck.
Jishuku is offline                         Send a private message to Jishuku
Old 19-07-2007, 12:01 PM   #186
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Apparently someone was able to run it through VDMSound:
Quote:
For people that cannot play the game, i think i found the correct way.

Step 1:
Download the VDMS program from Abondia Software.

Step 2:
Onces installed, you need to push the right button in the Kyrandia 3 directory on the MAIN.exe file and start the program
using VDMS:

- Here you need to select "Use Default configuration" & Remember my settings.

(it's now one of the windows options (just like copy, paste and stuff)
- You can Skip Step 3, it's not needed; but i'll put it here to explain how to fix
the cdrom problem.

Step 3:
- But when started it will give the CD-ROM Problem. Close the DOS window.

Step 4: Push the right button on the Main.Exe file (but now the new pictogram that
VDMS made) here go to properties (or in Dutch : Eigenschappen) (last option in the row)

Step 5: Here you need to select : Enable Low-Level CDROM Support

you have finished this steps, it should work in Windows XP (pack 1 & 2)[/b]
Someone else also used cdemu to get around the problem (I think you could achieve the same result by using DOSBox' mount command with -t cdrom switch).
Quote:
I had the same problem. Have you tried to use the cdemu2.com file?
just type "cdemu2 [any drive letter]:" and it should work then by starting the "main" file. I made a file called Kyrandia.bat with
"cdemu2 i:
main"
in it.[/b]

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 19-07-2007, 06:16 PM   #187
Usmanov

I feel very close now. But still no luck.
I manually selected sound card, it took a few minutes but eventually gave me the go ahead.
Then It took me to benchmark thingy, it seemed to pass test. Was asked a question to run under windows or true dos. (I tried both)

But regardless of how I did I still got the same result when trying to run (through vdms or without it):

"SETUP.CFG or PLAYER.INI not found. Run SETUP.exe"

I have it on a seperate CD that I installed from. Sound blaster worked for me also. These files seem to not get created? Where is my miss?

Thanks for your patience :wallbash:
Usmanov is offline                         Send a private message to Usmanov
Old 20-07-2007, 09:58 AM   #188
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

I've solved how to run Abandonia's version of the game. I think you could copy the sound and speech files from the CD version to this one - they should work with it right.

1. DO NOT CONFIGURE A SOUND CARD!!! Digital sound was ripped off and this would crash the game. You have to disable digital sound in the setup. (of course the CD version users can ignore that).
2. The setup works only under Windows.
3. After disabling sound, run DOSBox.
4. !start.bat is the file to run the game from, but if you tried it... you need MSCDEX.
5. DOSBox includes MSCDEX, but it won't be loaded unless you mount a CD drive of some sort.
6. Just mount any directory - anything, anywhere - as drive D and add a -t cdrom switch.
7. Since this made DOSBox load MSCDEX, just run !start.bat and enjoy the game.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 03-08-2007, 03:28 AM   #189
tormentor

Melcolms Revenge is one of my all time favourite adventure games. I own original copies of all 3 Kyrandia games & this is by far the best
tormentor is offline                         Send a private message to tormentor
Old 24-08-2007, 12:07 AM   #190
Anya

Does anybody know how to save this game without using f5? I'm using dosbox on a mac laptop and it won't let me save so I'm having to restart over at the beginning!!!!! Or maybe how to access and menu without using the f buttons?
If you know you can leave the answer here or email me at [BEEEP]@aol.com

Thanks so much to anyone who can help!!!