Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 05-10-2007, 06:00 PM   #181
Capo
Unconventional member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jurie Horneman @ Sep 29 2007, 11:18 AM) [snapback]313798[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Hi all. My name is Jurie Horneman and I was the lead programmer and co-designer on Albion. I just wanted to say thanks for all the nice comments, it is great to see so many people enjoyed playing the game or still remember it fondly!

[/b]

Capo is offline                         Send a private message to Capo
Old 09-10-2007, 08:49 PM   #182

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jurie Horneman @ Sep 29 2007, 10:18 AM) [snapback]313798[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Hi all. My name is Jurie Horneman and I was the lead programmer and co-designer on Albion. I just wanted to say thanks for all the nice comments, it is great to see so many people enjoyed playing the game or still remember it fondly!

It was made by quite a small team (4 people full-time and various people who helped out). We worked on it from the start of 1994 till the end of 1995, and then it took us about six months to get the English and French versions done. It started as an Amiga title but Commodore went out of business mid 1994 and we had to switch to the PC . We did a massive amount of overtime, but we had almost no creative constraints, which is a rarety these days. The game has its flaws but it is nice to see people like it.

Cheers,

Jurie
[/b]
Dear Jurie, It was one of the best games I've played. I have upgraded my first PC with a sound card just becuse of this game. Nowadays it seems sily, when all PCs has sound card, but that time...

But I have two question also, I hope you'll visit this site again:
1., There was a room in one town I can not remember the town's name, and the building, but I think it was a Townhall and in the middle of the building there was a room with a chest. I was unable to open the room's door and also unable lockpick, etc. I read also on Internet, that nobody find the solution for that. So I am curious if it is possible to open that room somehow???
2., Is it possible to reach the all maximum abilities with the characters? After some upgrades flowers do not increase it....

Old 13-10-2007, 09:42 AM   #183
Arne

I dislike the 3D part of the game. It actually made me sick A shame because apart from that this game looked great.

Old 13-10-2007, 10:31 AM   #184
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

yeah, same with me=/ if they put more effort in developement of 2d scenes instead of making 3d ones it would be so much better
Old 13-10-2007, 07:22 PM   #185

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Arne @ Oct 13 2007, 10:42 AM) [snapback]315949[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I dislike the 3D part of the game. It actually made me sick A shame because apart from that this game looked great.
[/b]
I do not agree with that. That time, when game was written this 3D part was perfect!!! That's true, that in the light of today's 3D engines this part of the game looks not too nice. But remember game was written when 3D begin to exist like Wolfstein DOOM I, etc.

Therfore if you take this in account 3D solutions of the game is interesting and it was a perfect job from programators.

- I am also curious if full "abilities" of characters can be reached, if yes, then how?

- Somewone wrote here, that he can edited the saved file, so he can set up the characters weapons, strength, etc. Can anybody help me with some instructions, how to do it??? (I am not a programator, but if you write it step by step I can edit also in hexa editor... )

Old 14-10-2007, 03:11 PM   #186
Capo
Unconventional member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Oct 13 2007, 09:22 PM) [snapback]315995[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
- Somewone wrote here, that he can edited the saved file, so he can set up the characters weapons, strength, etc. Can anybody help me with some instructions, how to do it??? (I am not a programator, but if you write it step by step I can edit also in hexa editor... )
[/b]
Is not good to cheat in games like Albion

Capo is offline                         Send a private message to Capo
Old 14-10-2007, 08:42 PM   #187

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Il Colgionazzo @ Oct 14 2007, 04:11 PM) [snapback]316073[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Oct 13 2007, 09:22 PM) [snapback]315995[/snapback]
Quote:
[/b]
Is not good to cheat in games like Albion
[/b][/quote]

Hmmm... I have played Albion from beginning till the end about 7-8 times, with different setup of the team. I just want to try features, which was impossible form the normal game. Eg.: if Dirr can use magic (beacuse his charachter able to learn some, but in normal gema it was impossible.)?
So I am not thinking really about cheating, but to play the game a little bit different way...

But if you think it is not so etical, just not post here the this gudiance. Than I will leave my Albion in his CD box, beacuse I think there is nothing new in it for me. But it will be a pity...

Old 14-10-2007, 10:21 PM   #188
killnik24

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Contented but feeling sorta sill @ May 21 2005, 01:06 AM) [snapback]108915[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Got it!
Right, for those of you who, like me, have been getting the "please insert cd" message over and over and have tried all the solutions offered here so far, I think I have an answer for you.
Use Winrar not Winzip to extract the files. Yes, it was that simple for me.
When you use winzip, all the files are extracted together in a big bundle, which is why you'll get the message "xxx file already exists, do you wish to replace it?". Winrar will extract the files into their designated subfolders.
From there, run setup with VDMsound and set digital to roland and midi to soundblaster. Then run the albion.bat file, using VDMsound again.
Problem solved (for me at least)
Hope it works for you too
[/b]
thanks man you freakin rock! i used a different sound configuration but this is the third suggestion i tried n the only one that worked. :thanx:

Old 15-10-2007, 11:30 AM   #189
Sandy

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Aegis @ Jul 6 2007, 01:26 PM) [snapback]298161[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Please, could someone tell me the controls? I can't figure out how to "search" or open doors or anything like that. I really want to play this game it looks filled with retro-awesomeness.
[/b]
For all who search a manual:
you can download at underdogs. Use a search engine with "underdogs albion manual" - then you'll need a lot of patience 'cause the server seems to be steam-powered.

Old 15-10-2007, 01:42 PM   #190
Sheldon

LOL it was me who said about using a hex editor to edit the saves :bleh:. Using a hexeditor to edit the saves is a difficult and can be time consuming process....but fun.
Also...as one guy said above: you shouldn't cheat in a game like albion! ...which i tend to agree haha. And i'd like to advise to all those who have never finished the game not to try it...it will ruin your fun!

Now for those who have finished it and want to edit...

I have only really found ways to edit character info (basically everything you see on screens 1 2 and 3 in the character screen and backpack). But naturally you should be able to edit most things if you know where to find them in the save file!
Firstly you must back up the saved game you wish to edit. I use a hex editor to edit the saves...scroll down to the character's name (about 1/3 the way down) and start changing numbers and look for changes in game! Backpack item entrys look like this: 01 00 00 3C 00

The 01 specifies the number of that particular item you carry.
I belive that the 00 00s in the middle specify the number of charges the item has (if it is magic item) and its spell that it casts. (This particular item has no charges and is not magical as both values are 00)
The 3c specifies the item (i.e. what is it, a sheild a knife a tablecloth etc). It may not be 3c, 3c in this case may mean the item is a helmet, 2A may be a ring etc. each item in albion has a unique hexadecimal value.
The final number is a strange number and I dont exactly know what it is. It must remain either as 01 OR 00 I believe. Try editing it to see what happens. If you make this a 03 or 04 the game may crash.

You can edit the characters stats and portrait also. This information is kept just above their name in the saved game file when viewing it with a hex editor. It has been years since i have played around with it properly, but editing these values will mostly effect that particular character's stats (i.e. what is on character screen 2).

You can change what a character looks like in the 2D sections of the game, however I have been only able to change it to the same model as another party member....(you'll understand what I mean if you try it). If anyone is able to make a party memeber look like another NPC from the game, i.e. make rainer look like sebai li winn...tell me! k:

email me with questions if you wish: sheldon_is_here@hotmail.com

Thanks and good luck.

PS - dont do this if you haven't played it through!