Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 18-08-2005, 12:35 PM   #171
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Gamefreak@Aug 18 2005, 09:24 AM
I remember there was a useful event (meteor hit town, magicless time, star conjunction) in the game before the last patch - the discovery of a new mine, like mithrill or jewel, near some town. Too bad that doesn't happen in the final patch anymore, that was handy...
I played the game repeatedly with the final patch for about a year after it came out, and there were still occasional random meteor strikes and mine discoveries. Of course, this was largely on the shadow side of the universe, so if you don't play there, I can't confirm you'll get those effects.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 18-08-2005, 04:50 PM   #172
Squaddie_Anderson

I play the final patch and get some of the events fairly regularly. Conjuctions for Chaos, Sorcery or Nature. Good or Bad Moons for Life or Death - and the rarer Mana Short. I think I've seen 2 meteor strikes in about 200 hrs of gameplay on the 1.31 version and one was on an enemy city. Other city events I've seen: Earthquake and Plague - and I think something like Population Boom (double pop growth). Other random events in general: Pirates stealing part or most of the treasury, neutral cities joining my kingdom through Diplomatic Marriage, Gift from the Gods: free magic item, Donation of gold from a wealthy merchant... any other confirmed random events anyone has seen?

Note: one Population Boom event hit a halfling city that already had Stream of Life on it :bleh: I had over 900 growth per turn when I changed to housing- but not quite 1000, damn the luck.

Funny Note: the first time I got the Diplomatic Marriage a city in Myrror joined my kingdom. This was on my first game ever - I hadn't read the manual and didn't know what Myrror was. I couldn't figure out why I couldn't find one city from the other when moving my troops around.
Squaddie_Anderson is offline                         Send a private message to Squaddie_Anderson
Old 18-08-2005, 05:59 PM   #173
blastradius14
Abandonia Homie

I get pirates stealing my treasury all the time. Once you get to max cash its either you must alchemize it into mana or you buy stuff. Cause if you don't they will abscond with some of it. It isn't as bad as Birthright: The Gorgon's Alliance where the treasurer can abscond with more than 10000 gold from your treasury...

In myrror, I have had nightshade and gold and some times even another resource near my capital city. This is another game where I prefer to be a single city, and where it doesn't hurt you as bad to be one.
blastradius14 is offline                         Send a private message to blastradius14
Old 18-08-2005, 08:18 PM   #174
Squaddie_Anderson

Arrrrg. I have a mental problem blastradius - I can't build more than one city. It never seems to be a good idea to build those settlers, let alone the units needed to protect the new city, I much prefer to upgrade an existing city. Taking over cities is fine - but I don't like it - I usually end up sitting around improving my city while the rest of the world is populated by the other wizards, then creating my unbeatable army of heros, units or summoned monsters and just go knock some heads. ARRRRg.
Squaddie_Anderson is offline                         Send a private message to Squaddie_Anderson
Old 18-08-2005, 08:54 PM   #175
Gamefreak

Quote:
Originally posted by Squaddie_Anderson@Aug 18 2005, 08:18 PM
Arrrrg. I have a mental problem blastradius - I can't build more than one city. It never seems to be a good idea to build those settlers, let alone the units needed to protect the new city, I much prefer to upgrade an existing city. Taking over cities is fine - but I don't like it - I usually end up sitting around improving my city while the rest of the world is populated by the other wizards, then creating my unbeatable army of heros, units or summoned monsters and just go knock some heads. ARRRRg.
You're almost like me - I build 2-4 cities and that's it. The rest comes from getting a champion and best artifacts for him, taking over all the nodes on Myrror and after there's just the matter of either study up to the Spell of Mastery and finishing the game, or have some fun and watch the barbarians overrung enemy cities or mess around with the enemy, get boring after a while, anyway.

Old 18-08-2005, 09:27 PM   #176
blastradius14
Abandonia Homie

Get planar seal and cast Armageddon. A one city civ can manage this :twisted:
blastradius14 is offline                         Send a private message to blastradius14
Old 18-08-2005, 11:44 PM   #177
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

I usually conquer a few cities first in order to build up enough forces to take a few power nodes. After that initial phase, things go rather smoothly in comparison to those first struggles to get hold of some power nodes.
Old 19-08-2005, 02:33 AM   #178
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Halflings: halflings with +2 weapons. On the shadow side. With a quick, surgical strike at your only enemy in that world. Then I work towards casting the spell that seals off access, and set about exploring and conquering the place. Typically, by the time I'm ready to cut my spell and enter the other side, I have three stacks with veteran halfing units, three heroes with wind mastery, and lots of other perks going.
Old 19-08-2005, 06:20 PM   #179
Squaddie_Anderson

Quote:
Originally posted by blastradius14@Aug 18 2005, 09:27 PM
Get planar seal and cast Armageddon. A one city civ can manage this :twisted:
Is armageddon the chaos spell that randomly causes volcanos to rise each turn? I don't play with chaos that much - is it possible volcanos will rise within the city limits of your own cities? What about cities protected vs chaos magic?
Old 19-08-2005, 06:33 PM   #180
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

As I recall, those world-affecting spells won't target your cities, and any protection against that specific type of magic remains in force. However, if the protection spell is cancelled for any reason--you can guess the rest.