Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 12-01-2008, 09:30 PM   #161
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

try setting core to full and increasing cycles. sometimes cores make strange things

edit: oh, from dosbox site

Quote:
Problems with 0.71
Note for DOSbox 0.72: The game freeze when you enter in combar mode. Play with DOSbox 0.70.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:07 PM   #162
Driderman

That's about the only time during gameplay it HASN'T frozen. When I enter combat, that is... Anyway, game seems stable now, even though I haven't done anything. Maybe it just needed to get 'warmed up'
Driderman is offline                         Send a private message to Driderman
Old 13-01-2008, 04:41 AM   #163
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driderman View Post
Anyone else by me think the copy protection on this game is a bit over the top? I mean, I have to consult the manual every 5 minutes or so...
I've found it only happening 2-3 times, before it stops. Whether it pops up at all seems to vary from game to game. But you have to remember that back in the day, game copying was easy, but manual copying took some effort. (And Microprose typically made very full manuals!) So when somebody copied a game, you tried to find different ways around it, and this was a fairly harmless one.

Now, the copy protection I loathed was New World Computing's, that made you look up a page, sentence, and word from their manual, and input it to start a new game session.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 13-01-2008, 11:49 AM   #164
Driderman

Well, maybe it's because I travel a lot with my band, but everytime I leave or enter a village, city or other spot on the main map, I need to pass the copy protection. At least it means I'm learning them quick.

When I was a kid, my father got me copies of the TSR Gold Box games. I've never fully understood the storylines of those games, since their copy-protection simply was that any plot-relevant exposition was written in the manual and when you got to that point it the game it simply told you what page to look up to get the info you needed. Didn't stop me completing both Champions Of Krynn and Death Knight Of Krynn though :laugh:
Driderman is offline                         Send a private message to Driderman
Old 13-01-2008, 09:13 PM   #165
Driderman

Now this is odd. I got a quest to get some letters from "The merchant in Wismar" but I can't find him anywhere. I've visited all the merchants and craftsmen, every single location in the city I'm pretty sure, but no luck.

Edit: Ahh, sneaky sneaky. I seems I have to pay him a night visit...

Last edited by Driderman; 13-01-2008 at 09:20 PM.
Old 13-01-2008, 09:38 PM   #166
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Now this is odd. I got a quest to get some letters from "The merchant in Wismar" but I can't find him anywhere. I've visited all the merchants and craftsmen, every single location in the city I'm pretty sure, but no luck.

Edit: Ahh, sneaky sneaky. I seems I have to pay him a night visit...
Yes, that's a common requirement for quests that involve some shady stealing. You have to enter the relevant merchant's store at night. Just a suggestion: I would avoid the quest. Quoting from the 124 page cluebook:

"Any failure or fighting invariably leads to a serious loss of reputation in the city. Defeat in battle can result in imprisonment.

"Once upstairs, you must break into the appropriate office. A character with good artifice skill and a set of lockpicks can sometimes do it. Otherwise you need either eater-water or thunderbolt potions, preferrably ones of high quality. Even if you get inside the room, there is still a good chance that the mere act of searching for the item will alert the guards.

"Sometimes you can escape from the upstairs with the item and without encountering the guards. Most frequently, though, you will be challenged by the guards. You then must fight past the guards, which sometimes means fighting has a bad effect on your local reputation.

"In general, unless you're very sneaky and skillful, this type of quest will seriously damage your reputation in the city."

Couldn't agree more.

Last edited by Borodin; 13-01-2008 at 09:44 PM.
Old 13-01-2008, 10:11 PM   #167
Driderman

Well, I actually slipped through by pure luck more than skill, so it all worked all out
Old 14-01-2008, 02:52 AM   #168
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Well, I actually slipped through by pure luck more than skill, so it all worked all out
Now, that's real luck. I wouldn't try pushing it too much, though!

The best strategy I've had with quests involves Raubritten. Simply put: when you find a group of nearby cities, see if any of them have a Raubritter quest going. With luck, you may even find 2, or 3 people in the same city looking for revenge on that same Raubritter.

Then go to the other cities surrounding that Raubritter, and see if they'll anty up for his destruction. I've made large sums of cash and items that way, very occasionally. And even when I didn't, I did make out much better than with the single quest/single quest assigner.
Old 14-01-2008, 06:09 AM   #169
red_avatar
Administrator

Those old copy protections were pretty annoying when overdone, I agree.

I bought Eye of Horus on a Prism budget label which came in a small plastic sleeve the size of a 3.5" disk, with the manual in tiny tiny print folded 10 ways or so (it was like 2 by 2 feet when unfolded) so each time I started the game I had to unfold the thing and really search hard. It used like font size 3 or so.

On the other hand, our copy protections we got now will only create serious problems in the future because they're hardware based. Look at the games of old that used hardware based protections: Lemmings, Yo! Joe!, etc. They have serious trouble running on modern systems so good thing we all have cracked versions of those.

Still, I loved code wheels and other ingenious copy protections that actually added value to the game. Sam & Max had you dress them up according to the manual for example.
red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 01-06-2008, 10:47 PM   #170
Robsie
Forum hobbit

Hello,

I have a question regarding strength

So far to equip a bit more my party and get them better combat stats, i have hunted lots of bandits during the night and got additional money from selling the looted equipement.

Once i felt my warriors had enough, i left the city and roamed the countryside. I fought bandits, mercenaries and even boars and got even more loot and money.

Back into town, i sold back every loot and began to buy better weaponry that were out of my price range before.

Then, i was back into the hunt.
There i faced some more enemy and noticed that my party had more trouble. I noticed their strength were lower and lower after each fight.

So back to the city and i was basically resting days and days at the inn to get the strenght in a better shape.

I notice strength go up 1 point after each day spent in the inn.
Well, that's not exactly very good for my aging party, as they all have a strength over 30, and so they are wasting months (and lot of money in the inn) just to rest enough.

So here is my question :
Is there a way to heal the strenght faster without having to use potions ?