Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 20-06-2011, 10:21 PM   #161
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcaray3 View Post
To the extent that I could, I did. Drag&drop did not work for me because it does a:
"mount c "c:\users\danny\desktop",

which does not make any sense, and does not work. I'm not sure where the shortcuts have to be and/or where dosbox has to be to make it work.
It works for me. But you must follow the instructions to the letter. Un-zip the whole folder structure, that is: you get a "TES2 Daggerfall" folder, with only a file "dagger.bat" and a folder "dagger". You must drag onto DOSBox this "dagger.bat", NOT the "dosbox.bat" inside the "dagger" folder. And if for example you move "dagger.bat" into the "dagger" folder, it won't work either. You must not disturb the relative placement of any file. (Otherwise it would be pointless to have two separate .bat files, surely you figured that.)

Quote:
Instead, I:

1. manually launch dosbox,
2. "mount c c:\dagger",
3. "c:", and
4. "dosbox".

I think this is equivalent to what your drag&drop accomplishes when it works. If not, let me know.
No, it's not equivalent, and here's the cause of the error, and of what I said above. The installation I prepared expects the game to be found at the virtual path "c:\dagger\", because that's where the original CD installer left the game when I ran it. Your lines place it at the virtual path "c:\".

The archive is prepared to run it exactly as instructed, to the letter, or alternatively it allows you to re-install the game since it includes the original CD.

If you re-install it, you will have the same constraint about the virtual path were the game must be run from. If you installed it in a folder mounted as "c:\", you must always run it from the DOSBox virtual path "c:\", or you will get an error. If you install it at "c:\dagger\", you must always run from "c:\dagger"\. Etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
Main problem with installing DF from CD is issue in DOSBox itself: it cannot recognize label of disc, so if you made "clean" install, it will say "no CD". But as this issue can be avoided with no-cd install, well, I cannot remember anything else. Simply made "full install", apply patch (still with "CD" in DOSBox), made game no-cd, and play! At least, it worked for my my last three installs of it.
A full install like Spectre says is an option, if as he says it precludes the need to have the CD. To be honest I never tried that. I had just prepared the archive for another game that didn't work without CD even with a full install (for copy protection purposes), plus this way we get to preserve the original CD.

The issue with the CD error and the label is quite complicated:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japo View Post
The game has a very particular way of identifying the game CD. It's not a good way, because it seems the only thing it does is look at the disk label; but in a very particular way. The only way it works AFAIK is with the mount command advised by Bethesda: using "mount" with a simple folder (not imgmount with an image) with the parameters "-t cdrom -label Daggerfall".

Mind you, it has to be "-label Daggerfall", neither "daggerfall" nor "DAGGERFALL" will work! I just realized today, I was lucky to make it work at the first try back then, but I'm sure this has been responsible for a lot of pending support posts on the forum. Considering that DOS was case insensitive, and that the champs who coded this could have no foreknowledge of how DOSBox and its mount.com would handle this, this has to be a one in a million shot, and very fucked up.

But I wanted to make this work by mounting an image instead of a folder for one reason. The "imgmount" command accepts either a real or virtual for the image, but "mount" accepts a real path only. So I can't make a .bat that mounts the folder as CD and then starts the game, because every guy will have the CD folder in a different path which I have no way of knowing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japo View Post
The story is, I now remember when this got released, lots of people were saying that you had to enter "fall.exe z.cfg", dagger.exe wouldn't do. I now know they must have spelled "wrong" the label in the CD mount command. Dagger.exe is a very small program that only makes some checks (CD and presence of mouse, enough memory and file handles...) and if they're passed it just calls precisely "fall.exe z.cfg". So an image still doesn't cut it for dagger.exe, but if you call "fall.exe z.cfg" instead it runs OK.

Last edited by Japo; 20-06-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Japo is offline                         Send a private message to Japo
Old 21-06-2011, 10:38 PM   #162
alcaray3

I see. Your instructions were a bit on the general side. I have an obsessive personality and I like things organized properly. Typically, I install dos games to c:\games\classics\.... In this case I looked ahead a bit into the dagger.bat and dosbox.bat files and got the feeling that this thing needed to be at c:\dagger, and (begrudgingly) that's where I put it. Your instructions were also a bit general at the part about drag&drop. You should have said something about launching Windows Explorer, finding the \Tes2 Dagger folder and dragging the bat file from there. This procedure is pretty ineffecient anyway, in my opinion.

Never-the-less, I have now:
1. removed c:\dagger,
2. deleted the dagger.bat shortcut from my desktop,
3. unzipped he \Tes2 Dagger folder to my root directory,
4. launched the game by drag&dropping,
5. started a new game with a new character, and
6. grinded through the starter dungeon for the 5th %$!!%!!! time.

Upon exiting the dungeon and hitting the 'w' key, I get the "blah, blah message blah blah backpack blah blah written in a flowing hand" message. I open my backpack and click the message and it comes up to announce that Andy Woodsy (or whoever) insists that I go somewhere and get my lycanthropy cured, blah, blah, and blah.

Then I get out of the backpack and hit 'w' again. Instead of the map I expect, I get the "blah blah flowing hand" message a second time. I don't think I've seen this variation before. So I go to my backpack and there are now 2 messages. Clicking on the second one gets me the lycanthropy note. Clicking on the first one crashes the game with a 113.

I think I'm over this game for the time being. Maybe I will try it again in a year or so. It is a shame.
alcaray3 is offline                         Send a private message to alcaray3
Old 21-06-2011, 11:41 PM   #163
Japo
Autonomous human

That particular error is very strange. I have beaten the game once and gotten very far another time, and I found occasional glitches, but nothing like that, specially so reproducible.

Have you tried re-downloading? And re-installing from the CD, patching or not afterwards?

The drag 'n drop method is advised only for beginners who don't know how to use DOSBox otherwise. The rest of people need only take into account that this installation needs the game to find itself at "C:\DAGGER\".
Old 22-06-2011, 06:03 AM   #164
dosraider
Dismembered.

Or get the game@DBGL
http://members.quicknet.nl/blankendaalr/dbgl/
Pre-configured and ready to run on DBGL.

If you can't get it running with this one, forget the game, it really doesn't like you.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 22-06-2011, 07:03 AM   #165
Japo
Autonomous human

Good idea.

There's also another installer for Windows, mentioned earlier in this thread:

http://theelderscrolls.wiwiland.net/...erfallSetup_EN

But I don't really understand what happens to you Alcaray, unless you have modified the game files by hand as you said. Try DBGL or the other package.
Old 29-06-2011, 08:12 PM   #166
Schurke

i installed this game from abandonia yesterday and i got the same lycanthropy problem as alcaray

Old 30-06-2011, 02:18 AM   #167
Japo
Autonomous human

Aw man I'll have to look into it. How can I reproduce it, does it appear always the first time you try to look at the region map?
Old 30-06-2011, 06:18 PM   #168
Japo
Autonomous human

Please attach a savegame file from just before exiting the dungeon, checking that when you play from it you get the error.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:02 PM   #169
Japo
Autonomous human

I have replaced the archive. I reproduced the error, and with this archive it's gone. Let me know if there are others, this game is quite special about everything. Thanks to Alcaray and Schurke for reporting.

It's now a full installation and it doesn't need any CD, but it needs to be run with "fall z.cfg" instead of "dagger", or else it will complain about it. It also needs to be mounted at "C:\DAGGER\". The cutscenes are missing.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:47 PM   #170
Cardgar
Default New to this

My girlfriend recommended this game to me and I was having the problem with the scroll that people have been posting about lately. I just re-downloaded the game and it is running fine, however I never got the scroll that was giving me the problem in the first place.

Should I just wait longer for the scroll to appear in my backpack or was it just taken out and I need to activate the main quest in some other way?

Thank you very much, it looks like a great game!