Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 08-05-2008, 11:36 AM   #161
Scatty
Treasure hunter

The other side of the sky is not for everyone :laugh:
As for Wizardry VII, using the preset 6 characters would be passable, but I would seriously recommend you to delete the 6 from the roster and create your own ones. The thing is, when you create characters in Wizardry VII, the rolled stat points for them can randomly range from 8 (very bad) to 24 (heavenly), or maybe it was even 28, and some more advanced characters like Ninja or Bishop can only be chosen with higher rolled amount of points, from 18 on depending on the chosen race for the character. Even the standard characters like Fighter or Cleric will benefit greatly from extra points from higher rolled pool.
The default 6 characters though only have moderate statistics, which, while being sufficient for being able to play the game, makes it harder to play the game through. Also, if I remember correctly, they're all only the basic characters. If you get a chance to choose a Samurai, for example, he might be a better choice than a Fighter because of some more advanced skills.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 29-05-2008, 07:39 AM   #162
bobinator1992
Abandonia nerd

Send a message via ICQ to bobinator1992 Send a message via AIM to bobinator1992 Send a message via MSN to bobinator1992 Send a message via Yahoo to bobinator1992 Send a message via Skype™ to bobinator1992

All right, I need help getting this working.

See, I've got Vista, and Vista just won't work with DOS games. Is there any other way to get it working? I've got D-Fend Reloaded, if that helps.
bobinator1992 is offline                         Send a private message to bobinator1992
Old 29-05-2008, 09:33 AM   #163
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

So you have D-Fend... and don't have DOSBox?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 29-05-2008, 10:31 AM   #164
dosraider
Dismembered.

D-Fend reloaded is dosbox 'included' in the download it seems.

BTW, bobinator1992, if I understood swell, DFReloaded has a special Vista option when you install it, so that the virtual Cdrive and dosbox conf are installed in your user files, did you used that special Vista option?

And FYI: I also have Vista on another bootdisk and have no problems whatsoever to run dosbox directly, without front end.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 29-05-2008, 11:28 AM   #165
bobinator1992
Abandonia nerd

Send a message via ICQ to bobinator1992 Send a message via AIM to bobinator1992 Send a message via MSN to bobinator1992 Send a message via Yahoo to bobinator1992 Send a message via Skype™ to bobinator1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
D-Fend reloaded is dosbox 'included' in the download it seems.

BTW, bobinator1992, if I understood swell, DFReloaded has a special Vista option when you install it, so that the virtual Cdrive and dosbox conf are installed in your user files, did you used that special Vista option?

And FYI: I also have Vista on another bootdisk and have no problems whatsoever to run dosbox directly, without front end.
Sorry, I forgot to mention, I do have DOSBox, version 0.72. There wasn't any special option for Vista in the installation.
bobinator1992 is offline                         Send a private message to bobinator1992
Old 29-05-2008, 01:21 PM   #166
dosraider
Dismembered.

http://dfendreloaded.sourceforge.net...#Kompabilitaet
Quote:
Vista-Compability:
D-Fend Reloaded uses the program folder (and its subfolders) for the setup files (like D-Fend) or the C:\Users\<YourName>\D-Fend Reloaded folder. In the latter case D-Fend Reloaded does not write to its program folder after installation.
De-install and reinstall the latest version.
Or try DGL
http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=12915

Or simply learn how to work with dosbox directly in Vista.
(Not hard at all, simply use c:\users\your_name\ folders for everything, works perfect.)

Or if your harddisk is partitioned use D ...E ... F whatever, those aren't protected.

Or use an USB key.-(Dosbox runs fine from those)-.
You simply can copy-paste to-/install/run dosbox from USB key.
Use your whole USB key as virtual C, the mount line can be added under [autoexec] as:
mount c \
c:

This automount your USB key as C when double clicking on dosbox.exe IF dosbox folder is on that key.
That also makes dosbox portable, runs from any Win PC whatever the USBkey drive letter is.

Possibilities enough.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*

Last edited by dosraider; 29-05-2008 at 01:24 PM.
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 10-06-2008, 10:42 PM   #167
QuicksandBetty
Lurker

Red face

Thanks to everyone who posted steps to install this game. i had one hell of a time finally getting it up and running.

But now I have a question. Now that I have saved my progress and everything can I close DosBox? Is it possible to close DosBox down, then a few days later start it up and play the game and be able to load my game where I have left it?

The reason I'm asking this is because I've had problems weeks ago when I tried to load my savegame and was unable to do so. I decided to uninstall and reinstall all over again, and more accurately this time. Now I've spent quite a few hours on the game and I worry about my laptop automatically restarting and that I might lose all my progress if this happens.

If anyone can hlp me with this question it would help a ton!
QuicksandBetty is offline                         Send a private message to QuicksandBetty
Old 11-06-2008, 08:28 AM   #168
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Now that I have saved my progress and everything can I close DosBox? Is it possible to close DosBox down, then a few days later start it up and play the game and be able to load my game where I have left it?
Yes and yes.
Quote:
The reason I'm asking this is because I've had problems weeks ago when I tried to load my savegame and was unable to do so. I decided to uninstall and reinstall all over again, and more accurately this time
Check if any files in the game directory are set to "Read Only". If so, disable that attribute.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 16-06-2008, 05:27 AM   #169
LordKhan

Thanks to this board I finally got Crusaders to run after 7 hours of total frustration LOL..However now I have another problem..I cannot figure out how to save the game..When I click on Save & Resume I get a Disk Error Message..Can someone tell me exactly what to do to fix this problem? I had this game a long time ago and was so happy to find it here but damn its getting to the point where I am ready to give up..Thanx for any help
LordKhan is offline                         Send a private message to LordKhan
Old 16-06-2008, 07:33 AM   #170
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Which version of Wizardry 7 are you using? The one from Abandonia or the one I posted a link for few posts back?
Generally it should help if you mount not the game folder itself in DosBox but the drive C: and then switch manually to the game folder, like in this example:

mount c c:\
c:
cd dsavant
(command to run the game)

Then in the game options just write in the savegame location the name of the savegame itself, it will then be saved to and loaded from the Wizardry 7 folder.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty