Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 18-04-2007, 07:41 AM   #151

this graphics suck... i like pt on my ps2 better... whats the hype about a game with sucking graphx like that?

Old 18-04-2007, 08:08 AM   #152
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

You're joking, right?

Stunts was released in 1990, some 10 years before the PS2 came out; it's hardly fair to compare games of such a different age... In 1990 racing game graphics didn't get much better than this + it was mostly the gameplay and the ability to build your own tracks that was important.
Old 18-04-2007, 11:04 AM   #153
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Apr 18 2007, 09:41 AM) [snapback]287305[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
this graphics suck... i like pt on my ps2 better... whats the hype about a game with sucking graphx like that?
[/b]
hypocrite
Old 18-04-2007, 01:04 PM   #154
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
this graphics suck... i like pt on my ps2 better... whats the hype about a game with sucking graphx like that?[/b]
The whole - as you call it - "hype" is about the sheer enjoyability of gameplay.
Think about it - your "better" game for PS2 won't ever match the graphics on nextgen consoles like Xbox 360 or PS3. And yet, does that mean this game automatically sucks?
Of course not.
The same also applies to older games - there are people who like games with CGA graphics, text-based adventures/RPGs or games that use ASCII charset to represent the enviroment (like Rogue). Don't look down on us just because you cannot understand our tastes.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 18-04-2007, 09:09 PM   #155
-RD-

Brings back memories indeed! I recall a friend once played the game with a Lamborghini Diablo...so I was wondering if anyone would recall a cheat in the game, or if there was a way to import cars and not just tracks to it. I never figured it out.
Awesome add anyway, cheers Abandonia!

-RD-

Old 14-05-2007, 08:37 PM   #156
Ant2007

Ok, so how do I get past the security... nah, just kidding ;-)

I came across a whole load of old tracks and replays for this game on one of my archive CDs which brought back fond memories of it. I have uploaded them here for anyone who is interested:

http://rapidshare.com/files/31261458...plays.zip.html

Some of these were made by myself and friends, though I can no longer remember which ones. That's probably for the best, as some of the tracks are pretty awful to race on, but they do show off some of the crazy things you could do with this game!

That's what I loved about it. The game would have been a bit mundane if it wasn't for the track designer and replay features. The ability to share your own tracks and replays of your best times/most spectacular crashes with others made it great fun!
Ant2007 is offline                         Send a private message to Ant2007
Old 15-05-2007, 03:27 PM   #157
CrazyTerabyte

I love this game. I played it a lot on my 486. Excellent game! Excellent gameplay! I also use this game MID music as my cellphone ringtone!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ant2007 @ May 14 2007, 08:37 PM) [snapback]290284[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I came across a whole load of old tracks and replays for this game on one of my archive CDs which brought back fond memories of it. I have uploaded them here for anyone who is interested:[/b]
Just one notice: This game has been released by Broderbund with name Stunts! and by Mindscape with name 4D Sports Driving. Each of these have versions 1.0 and 1.1. There are little differences among them, and one of the differences is the replay format. Broderbund replays are incompatible with Mindscape replays (and the other way around too).

Old 15-05-2007, 03:59 PM   #158
Scatty
Treasure hunter

I suppose Mindscape's version is more frequent. My copy of the game, not from this site and which I have already for a very long time before this site existed, is also the 4D Sports Driving one.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 15-05-2007, 05:29 PM   #159
Ant2007

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CrazyTerabyte @ May 15 2007, 04:27 PM) [snapback]290376[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Just one notice: This game has been released by Broderbund with name Stunts! and by Mindscape with name 4D Sports Driving. Each of these have versions 1.0 and 1.1. There are little differences among them, and one of the differences is the replay format. Broderbund replays are incompatible with Mindscape replays (and the other way around too).
[/b]
Ah, didn't realise that. My version of the game on which those files were created is Mindscape 4D Sports Driving (version 1.1). I just tried the version of the game on this site (Broderbund Stunts! version 1.0) and tried a couple of the tracks and replays I uploaded. They do seem to work, so I guess the tracks are ok(?) but the replays actually play differently. There's one called "airborne", for instance, in which the car exits a tunnel from the ceiling and ends up shooting high into the air. The same replay on this site's version shows the car crashing inside the tunnel. On others the car stays on the track on one version and drives off the track completely on the other!

So, for the record, the files I uploaded are for 4D Sports Driving but may work (with inaccurate replays) in Stunts. Oh well, it was worth a try.
Ant2007 is offline                         Send a private message to Ant2007
Old 07-07-2007, 07:57 PM   #160
Spotted Cheetah

Brings back memories...

I still remember that i got my first copy of the game (some Broderbund version i guess) in 1993 from my neighbours on a 5.25" floppy in an lha archive. It was somewhat around the end of August, and i was absolutely pissed off then about that school was going to start within days, and i can not play the game enough!!! I just do not get one thing. From where on the Earth people in Hungary got the games then since Internet pratically did not even exist then (at least in our village it did not... Anyways somehow on those 5.25" floppies any game could spread out). A later memory of the game is that i could not fit it in any way on an 5.25" floppy (i mean in an unpacked, ready - to - play state). That was maybe the first time i started "hacking", as i remember i removed the files relating to the opponents except for Skid Vicious. I do not know what i actually did, but it worked.

I knew about two additional glitches which i did not see in the topic yet:
One is the block of flats under a jump. This thing was dangerous, and especially pissing off on a long track. Randomly sometimes the car could not get it right, then, well ... Yet another nice space rocket launch video saved
Another is again with jumping when somehow the air lifted the car a bit higher. This was noticeable, then, when the car grounded, it crashed, except if it landed on a higher ground.
Well, and sometimes the car would start bouncing after the jump... Usually no problem, but when a turn, and a big flat was ahead...

The opponents were dumb. You all mentioned this, but once i got a very strange result. On a track i designed the opponent at a point mistook a turn, i mean it drove in a pipe which i placed under a jump, and when it was about to get out, it always tried to go down the road to reach the crossing one. You know what a deadly thing is the pipe's entrace / exit node, it obviously did not success for it :P

A trick which came handy for me: The icy 4 block corners also have a red and white colored area (like the pawed and mud corners). And that's not slippery. With an elegant turn, it is possible to make it much faster than by going on the ice! (But be careful, the Indy just fits on it! You have to be precise!; The 1 block sharp icy corners can also be tricked. I can not remember well, but maybe including the grass in the turn can make it faster)

I (as i think like everyone) experienced a lot with speed warp mode. I had even seen a track designed to be done with speed warp, and then even i created such a track, what i completed then (i could only do it with the continue replay feature, it is awfully hard to drive that way...).

Of course i still have the game I did not play with it too much recently though... At gaming i was too occupied with Albion and watching C64 intros