Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 05-06-2005, 09:53 PM   #1381
Wibbler

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but isn't there a fairly major bug in X-Com that means after you shut down and re-load a game, it is re-set to the simplest difficulty level? I think I remember hearing about a patch for this, thought you might want to know about it (of course, I could just be a fistful of wrong on this!)

Old 06-06-2005, 09:40 AM   #1382

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharp@Jun 4 2005, 10:50 PM

Engineers are an easy source of income, motion scanners are good first, then laser cannons, then fusion ball launchers, although laser cannons will be the majority as they are relativly low level research.
Fusion balls ?
Ive never got that !
How can i reasearch the thing.
I only got the, laser weapons, med kit and, scanner (on the beginning).

Old 06-06-2005, 10:41 AM   #1383
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

About the choice of base locations: my first picks are always Europe and USA. That way my radars cover most of the best paying countries. My third base should cover Japan, which is usually the second biggest sponsor after the USA.

I'm not sure (it's been a while since I played UFO) but I think researching heavy plasma and everything it leads to (like plasma defense and any new research items that show up after you've finished researching heavy plasma) should allow you to research Fusion balls.

And yes, build small and large radars in each base at first, then switch to hyperwave decoders once you've got access to those.

Last time I played I had "excellent" rating virtually every month (with the exception of perhaps the first two months), though that was at an easy level.
Like R Havell said, down every ufo you can take on, finish as many missions as possible. And don't ignore terror sites! It's been said 100 times here, but I'll still repeat it: even touching down and taking off again is a lot better than simply ignoring a terror site.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:40 AM   #1384
Student

I alwaus place my bases in

Central europe 1

East asia 3

North america 2

South america 5

Australia 4

Central africa 6

Old 06-06-2005, 11:42 AM   #1385

I'm having some trouble with the dos version of x-com running under
dosbox. The game runs a little laggy. When I'm on the geoscape and I
right-click to rotate it, there's a half second lag before it actually
rotates the globe. Also, during combat, my cursor lags and I end up
shooting the wrong things / moving people instead of selecting them /
other stupid things. The slowdown is really irritating. I would play the windows version of UFO defense, but I have two gripes about it:

1. AWFUL MIDI music compared to the awesome dos version's music (is there a fix for this? please say yes)
2. STUPID CRASHING PROBLEMS ON A TERROR MISSION! Magically the game just crashes as soon as I land. WTF?

As a solution, I'm trying to get the dos version of X-com to run under
windows XP without using dosbox. Do you know any way to fix the
stupid lag, or perhaps to get X-com running under xp?

I also have a question about the game itself. What item do you
reccomend manufacturing and selling for profits? I've found a nice
profit margin in medikits and motion scanners. What do you do
usually?

Thanks for the time.

Old 06-06-2005, 12:06 PM   #1386
Kearnsy
Games Master

Your right another_guest 6 is pretty tough but Im not on the highest difficulty so that helps a lot.

The reason i dont have a base in Europe but in North Africa is that the radar coverage is almost exactlythe same but the cost of building it is quite a bit less. This i pretty useful at the start of the game when you are cash strapped.
Kearnsy is offline                         Send a private message to Kearnsy
Old 06-06-2005, 03:09 PM   #1387
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

Yeah, true, also it was actually me who said that.

@ Another_Guest

It is actually Blaster Launchers for Fusion Balls, which means that it takes quite a while to get them.
PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks
Old 06-06-2005, 10:24 PM   #1388
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by Guest@Jun 6 2005, 11:42 AM
1) I'm having some trouble with the dos version of x-com running under
dosbox. The game runs a little laggy...

2) I also have a question about the game itself. What item do you
reccomend manufacturing and selling for profits? I've found a nice
profit margin in medikits and motion scanners. What do you do
usually?
1) Have you tried increasing the number of cpu cycles in Dosbox? You should increase it to the point that any further raise will cause the game to slow down again. If that isn't enough, try skipping frames. Here, increase to the point where it would start affecting the graphics.

2) Early in the game, med kits and motion scanners are a good choice. But as soon as you can, switch to laser cannons. They yield the biggest profit without requiring additional materials like elerium. I'm not sure how the comparison between laser rifles and motion scanners turns out, so once you can manufacture laser rifles but no laser cannons yet, you could look into that.
And to avoid any possible confusion, with "the biggest profit" I mean the highest net profit per hour, per engineer.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:25 AM   #1389
Alejobravo

Hi to every one!, Im having Problems during the game play, when i see a lab research it just take´s me out of the game. ( Windows XP Error review), What shall i do... where i can get the Gold X-Com??

Thanks For your atention

( Sorry for my English, i´m Colombian Nice to meet U! )

Old 07-06-2005, 09:11 AM   #1390
Sharp
Game freak

Send a message via ICQ to Sharp

you can get UFO Gold from Home of The Underdogs but be warned, extremly slow download, but it does have a wide collection.

My version of UFO is from there, you might get the occasional bug of when you land on a site it might crash and when you try to send your first unit out of a skyranger so frequent saves are advised, other then that it's just like the one from here (and you get a notepad guide of the USG of UFO from Kasey Chang).

Also motion scanners give a higher profit then laser pistols and rifles, also early out its better to produce laser pistols as they cost less to produce and are quicker to build so your cashflow is more stable.

« † DxRxIx † »
Sharp is offline                         Send a private message to Sharp