Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 06-04-2010, 10:26 PM   #121
Professor Oak
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malteser60 View Post
The best game I've ever played in my opinion. When I first played it, which was a good 20 years ago, I was hooked. No other game has captured my imagination like Wasteland.

I still own the original box, disks, manuals, etc :-D
Why don't you register yourself an account here, you'll find it is much more rewarding?
Professor Oak is offline                         Send a private message to Professor Oak
Old 10-05-2010, 10:27 AM   #122
UK_John
Default Get the C64 version

Get this on Commodore 64, download an emulator and play this in 16 colours instead of 4 and with 4 channel sound instead of PC beeps. There was a short period where C64 games beat the pants of their PC equivalent! Then EGA and Creative came along and it all changed.....!

Old 10-05-2010, 02:27 PM   #123
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

Wasteland has an EGA mode, and it looks better than the C64 version. It's true that is has an CGA mode as well, and even 16-colour CGA composite, but more graphics modes are an advantage, not a disadvantage.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:38 PM   #124
Fubb
GreatCanadianMan

wait, waste has EGA? how do i turn it on?

DUN duuuunnnn dudududududun SPLOOSH duuunnnnn

We ate the horse.
Fubb is offline                         Send a private message to Fubb
Old 10-05-2010, 02:46 PM   #125
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

It is on if you didn't set CGA in your DOSBox configuration. The download is missing the other graphics mode anyway.
Old 14-08-2010, 07:15 PM   #126
HuckleCat

I also still have the manuals/box, and even the official map/hint book from EA.

You guys should put up links to the Apple 2 version as well. I remember being able to recopy single sides so I could replay certain locations without having to do a full restart. (I'm not sure the PC version allows you to replay the game with your characters once it was finished.)

Anyways, awesome game - one of the best ever.
HuckleCat is offline                         Send a private message to HuckleCat
Old 15-08-2010, 02:22 PM   #127
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

you can post the apple version so i can update it as an extra
Old 22-08-2010, 08:17 AM   #128
HocusPocus23
Lurker

this has got to be one of the best games I have recently played! I like it so much!
HocusPocus23 is offline                         Send a private message to HocusPocus23
Old 30-11-2010, 07:57 PM   #129
skullkan6

Before ANYONE plays this game they MUST download the PDF of the manual, otherwise they will get no-where fast.
It plays very little like what we are used to in most modern RPG's, and it took me a lot of reading to find out what all the skills did.
skullkan6 is offline                         Send a private message to skullkan6
Old 02-02-2011, 05:24 PM   #130
Jessica Davison
Exclamation Tips for somewhat advanced players

Here's a few exploits, tricks and tips for people struggling a bit. I haven't read the entire thread, so there may be repeats in here.

1. The cause of the crashes is the mouse. Find a way to disable the mouse BEFORE the game loads, and learn the hotkeys instead. It's worth the extra effort. On that note, can somebody please post how to disable mouse in D-Fend Reloaded, which is what I'm using?

2. If you'd like to reset the game but keep your characters equipment/money, note the following. The game covers two disks. Disk 1 is the desert, Highpool, Quartz, Needles, Ag Centre, and Mine. Disk 2 is Guardian Citadel, Las Vegas, Darwin, and any of the hidden map locations. Can't remember the rest, but it's not important.

So the game states are saved in particular files, which I think are Game1 for Disk 1, and Game2 for Disk 2 (if it's not game1/2, it's another pair of files with 1 and 2 numbering). Enter a Disk 2 area, Guardian Citadel is a good choice since simply entering is not dangerous. Copy the original Game1 file off the site over the Game1 file in your directory. Then go back to the desert, and copy the original Game2 file over the one in your directory.

If all goes well, everything will be as new, except you will have your party in it's present state, including NPCs (which you can recruit duplicates of), items and money. If it screwed up, and you forgot to back up your files, you should have remembered to back up your files.

3. If you have some knowledge of how the game works, and you want a super powerful character, simply take a single character from the start of the game, who uses only melee weapons. Melee kills are double xp, and since your single character will be getting all the xp for every single kill, you'll quickly become very high level. Just take brawling 1, grind a bit in the easier areas until you get Brawling 2, and use the rest of your skill points on utility skills. With some careful planning, you can get every single skill that is even slightly useful, as long as you skip all of the various firearm skills. If you're careful, this one character can take any enemy or group of enemies in the game, without cheating. You'll need four characters at the very end of the game, but you'll find something that can help with that along the way. It needs a skill with the initials CT to use, and is in a hidden (but fairly safe) area.