Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 26-03-2007, 04:03 PM   #121
Arman

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Privateer @ Mar 25 2006, 05:06 PM) [snapback]217120[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Of course they take less losses from AA and AD. Just compare ground defence of your good level bombers with that of your Stukas! HE177 in the sky is like a KV on the ground in terms of defence against ground-based attacks. It's a pity levels don't cause more damage, but suppression is good too when you take relatively few losses in return.

I wouldn't say the allied commander would not miss 70 prestige. They do have a lot, but 70 is 70. Even if they still have a lot left, that means you will be facing one fewer infantry or ATG later on. Like I said, I wouldn't concentrate just specifically on bombing their prestige, but if there is an open objective hex in range of my level, I might as well dump some explosives on it and cut the enemy's prestige.
[/b]

Hmmm 70 points eh? I have to try that out. I was aware that you could make the enemy lose prestige, but I generally did not bother, unless there was nothing else to do. At 70 points it might be worth it though.

What I had noticed is that after repeated level bombing airfields and cities would lose their flags. Later taking them did not earn you the 40 points (if I recall) you would normally get.

Speaking of which I think giving up a city to the enemy and then taking it back, also does not give you additional prestige.

In campaign mode I also keep one Level Bomber among my core units. I keep stengthening it and upgrading so it can be effective against naval targets, too. I use level bombers against entrenched units primarily. Occasionally I use them against AA to suppress them or even drain their ammuntion. That approach may be used against other strong ground units that are hard to take down.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:24 PM   #122
laiocfar
NOD Commander

Right in most Arman but sometimes by destroying arfields (when it lose the flag), you can gain air control of big zones.
Old 18-06-2007, 06:00 PM   #123
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Am I just plain dumb, or is there a major flaw in this game?

I am attacking this Polish town.
Forces in action: Infantry, tanks and artillery

Normally, you would use your artillery to soften up the defence, use infantry to attack and use the armoured units to mop up any left-overs. Then you would move your tanks, infantry and artillery, in that order, towards the next target. However:
When I use the artillery without moving it (waiting for the other units to move first), select another unit and then reselect the artillery, it cannot move :wallbash:
Also, when moving a unit into position without fireing, then move another unit into position, the fisrt unit can no longer fire. This is relevant when the first unit spots a new danger which needs to be taken care of before that unit can attack.

Someone pray tell me: What on earth is the general idea behind this brilliant coding? :tai:
Old 18-06-2007, 08:10 PM   #124
velik_m
Game Wizzard

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mighty Midget @ Jun 18 2007, 06:00 PM) [snapback]295061[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Am I just plain dumb, or is there a major flaw in this game?

I am attacking this Polish town.
Forces in action: Infantry, tanks and artillery

Normally, you would use your artillery to soften up the defence, use infantry to attack and use the armoured units to mop up any left-overs. Then you would move your tanks, infantry and artillery, in that order, towards the next target. However:
When I use the artillery without moving it (waiting for the other units to move first), select another unit and then reselect the artillery, it cannot move :wallbash:
Also, when moving a unit into position without fireing, then move another unit into position, the fisrt unit can no longer fire. This is relevant when the first unit spots a new danger which needs to be taken care of before that unit can attack.

Someone pray tell me: What on earth is the general idea behind this brilliant coding? :tai:
[/b]
You're dumb.
Old 18-06-2007, 08:19 PM   #125
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

That was constructive. Yessiree! Now, slowly, read the last sentence until you understand what it says.

Any hints on how to plan the usage of the units, please?
Old 19-06-2007, 01:59 AM   #126
laiocfar
NOD Commander

Girls, do fight for my love, i already got Gf...

Mighty Midget: Nope, the games works that way. Maybe it was supposed to work that way to add fog of war or myabe no.
Old 19-06-2007, 08:30 AM   #127
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Ianocfar: Thanks for a serious reply

Only thing is: I know this is the way it's supposed to work, but it makes no sense, that you have to fire and move without deselecting that unit, and it makes any reasonable moving impossible.

What I really asked for, was some hints on how to use your units so it would resemble a reasonable game. Tips on tacticts, if you like.

So: any hints on tactics greatly appreciated
Old 19-06-2007, 10:49 AM   #128
Japo
Autonomous human

Ah yes I didn't get you, it does suck that only deselecting a unit expends its movement. I don't know if it's that way to save memory or just so the game was easier to code or what, but it does suck. So you'll have to plan your every movement in advance.

But still with that flaw I found this game the best military strategy simulator I've come across. You could read the manual, it's very helpful.

In short, you should use tanks only in open terrain against unentrenched units. Against cities, units entrenched in forests, etc. you should attack with infantry. The previous artillery/tactic bombers bombardment is necessary not for killing the unit partially, but to neutralize its entrenchment level, because attacking a heavily entrenched unit is suicidal and incresaes the likelihood of rugged defence --attacking with pioneers or engineers annul that probability. Strategic bombers on the other hand suppress part of a unit, suppressed men don't fight during one single round, and obviously if most of a unit is suppressed then it's a sitting duck during that round.
Old 19-06-2007, 11:28 AM   #129
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

to me it's logical. first you deploy tanks & infantry and then artilery.

so if oyu want to move forward you should pack artilery in a truck and movie it first then move tanks in adjacent hexagon to protect it from the enemy (by doing this enemy can't reach the artilery by ground).

in fact this kindof movement is quite good as it makes your artilery unit aways safe from any ground attack.

so how to invade a city. move tank in the clear area next to it (prevents them form getting mor ereinforcements). move infantry closer. move packed artilery (or even better if you have those armoured ones) behind tank. move air defence next to artilery or fighter.

let the siege begin. next turn. bomb town (if you have bombers). fire artielry shots. check for their entranchement. if it's low enough andif you can move artielry forwad (bypass the town) then do so. now attack wiht light infantry (multiple attacks is prefered). if your forces get crushed then move them forward near artilery. if you clean the town occupy it. if not try the tanks on the now battered enemy infantry.

if you occupied the town move the tank forward to protect atrilery.

if you had a delay. no worries.... you can pack and move artielry later. they won't be able to fire on next front anyway as they need a turn to deploy.

use parashooters to cause confusion or to prevent the enemy purchasing any units in his cities as reinforcements. if you have a unit near a city no matter which he can not reinforce it or buy new units in them.

usefull if you just occupied one city then another one on your way is about to get fortified with some air defence, infartry, artilery etc. to prevent it all you need is a unit of parachuters (no matter how weak the are).

at lower AI you can also confuse him with parachuters into strengthening defences in the wrong areas/cities.
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 19-06-2007, 11:51 AM   #130
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gregor @ Jun 19 2007, 01:28 PM) [snapback]295154[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
to me it's logical. first you deploy tanks & infantry and then artilery.
[/b]
As for deployment in the beginning, it doesn't matter. As for deploying units into battle, I would say artillery/bombers first, then inf/tanks depending on the target area.

Quote:
so if oyu want to move forward you should pack artilery in a truck and movie it first then move tanks in adjacent hexagon to protect it from the enemy (by doing this enemy can't reach the artilery by ground).

in fact this kindof movement is quite good as it makes your artilery unit aways safe from any ground attack.
[/b]
A little bit risky, isn't it, to move your artillery into unknown terrain. I prefer to move some strong defensive units first, to decide where to put my artillery pieces. Unfortunately, as you can see, this doesn't work in PG, as you would need to move the artillery right after fireing and the artillery would be the first to fire.

Quote:
so how to invade a city. move tank in the clear area next to it (prevents them form getting mor ereinforcements). move infantry closer. move packed artilery (or even better if you have those armoured ones) behind tank. move air defence next to artilery or fighter.
[/b]
Ah, I think I see. I am always nervous about putting a tank next to an infantry/AT unit in a city. I prefer infantry for that job. I'll have a look into that.

Quote:
let the siege begin. next turn. bomb town (if you have bombers). fire artielry shots. check for their entranchement. if it's low enough andif you can move artielry forwad (bypass the town) then do so. now attack wiht light infantry (multiple attacks is prefered). if your forces get crushed then move them forward near artilery. if you clean the town occupy it. if not try the tanks on the now battered enemy infantry.
[/b]
Agree

Quote:
if you occupied the town move the tank forward to protect atrilery.
[/b]
To me that would greatly depend on what enemy units are threatening my artillery, and on the terrain. But I guess you do the same so...

Quote:
if you had a delay. no worries.... you can pack and move artielry later. they won't be able to fire on next front anyway as they need a turn to deploy.

use parashooters to cause confusion or to prevent the enemy purchasing any units in his cities as reinforcements. if you have a unit near a city no matter which he can not reinforce it or buy new units in them.

usefull if you just occupied one city then another one on your way is about to get fortified with some air defence, infartry, artilery etc. to prevent it all you need is a unit of parachuters (no matter how weak the are).

at lower AI you can also confuse him with parachuters into strengthening defences in the wrong areas/cities.
[/b]
About the enemy not being able to deploy from a threatened hex: I occupied this Polish city (the middle one on the second mission), and even after I had the city under my control, the Poles were still able to deploy units from that very same city!! :blink: