Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 25-11-2005, 10:34 PM   #111

you can actually find some of the thargoid things without having a mission there. If you already know the coords. Check jades.org if you want more info. They have links to most of what you could want. including walkthroughs, technical readouts, hints, cheats, and anything else for all three elites. And yes, there is a key that centers the map, tho I cant remember if it is on you, or on (0,0) but holding down shift and the arrow keys moves by a whole map square at a time.

If I got the locations wrong, I'm sorry, but that was from memory since I'm currently playing some other games, and I try to limit how many major games I keep installed at one time.

My sugestion is to not attack the thargoids, since if you do attack them, you can't get the last few hardcoded missions, and you can't get thargoid ships and weapons. Which are VERY powerful and VERY good.
Also I seem to remember that FFE doesn't allow the forced mis-jumps that the earlier versions allowed. (in Elite I, you could use that as a way to fight the thargoids in witchspace)

Old 26-11-2005, 05:26 AM   #112

I have the largest "fighter class" ship available, and 10 shield generators but I still can't take 1 second of fire from a ship of the same configuration (4MW Beam Laser). I have no idea why it's so unbalanced. :/

Old 26-11-2005, 09:25 AM   #113
Eva02Soul
Game freak

You're using the largest fighter class ship available and you've only got 10 shields and a 4MW beam? what a waste of an Imperial Explorer.

The thing with the beam laser is it's a continual weapon. So, even though against a pulse laser 10 shield generators would be more that enough, with a beam laser continually trying to punch through them, they get overloaded really quickly. As soon as they're gone, a 4MW beam laser would be enough to kill a smaller ship instantly, and a larger ship in a couple of seconds of continual fire. Combat in FFE usually boils down to 'kill or be killed', and even a comfortable amount of shield generators (50 or so) will only grant you a few seconds thinking time against the larger weaponry. Anything you can use they can too with some exceptions. (I've never been plasma bombed before, luckily)
Eva02Soul is offline                         Send a private message to Eva02Soul
Old 26-11-2005, 01:23 PM   #114

After I buy a Military Drive Class 2 and try to leave a docking station (on Soholia,) I get stuck in the bay doors.
Is this a curable bug? How do I best buy M.D. Class 2 near Gateway?

Old 26-11-2005, 02:01 PM   #115

More information: it doesn't matter whether it is an inside docking bay or outside.
And both Military Drive class 1 or 2 cause the bug.
I am stuck when departing:
Bug info: Inside docking: the ship will not accelerate at all, if there's enough space I can maneuver about in all directions. When there isn't space it will hit a wall and lose Hull fast.
Outside docking: As soon as I hit the 'Engines On' button the screen shakes up and down wildly and any attempt to fly away results in crashing to the planet surface.

Old 26-11-2005, 04:48 PM   #116
whatshisface
Abandonia nerd

Send a message via AIM to whatshisface Send a message via Yahoo to whatshisface

I took the advice gregor gave a couple pages back, (to sol, buy stuff, to bernards star, sell stuff, buy stuff)... and now i am very very rich!! my problem is my progres is slowing because of my small cargo space, i need a ship that is cheep and has a big cargo hold. Please help.
whatshisface is offline                         Send a private message to whatshisface
Old 27-11-2005, 12:29 AM   #117
Eva02Soul
Game freak

My first choice in the career i'm playing now, after the default saker 3, was the viper 2. Nice amount of room for cargo after you've loaded it up with essentials.
Eva02Soul is offline                         Send a private message to Eva02Soul
Old 27-11-2005, 03:56 AM   #118
Ashes

The military drives use a special military fuel instead of just hydrogen fuel, so you probably just don't have any of the correct type of fuel. (MD's also produce radioactives, which are illegal some places, like at sol, so consider that when you buy one)

Don't even TRY combat until you can successfully manually navigate a complete jump, from take off, thru hyperspace, to docking, without using the autopilot even once. And the docking should be at a rotating space station. That is the MINIMUM competancy necessary for combat.

Old 27-11-2005, 05:33 AM   #119
bahman
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by whatshisface@Nov 26 2005, 05:48 PM
I took the advice gregor gave a couple pages back, (to sol, buy stuff, to bernards star, sell stuff, buy stuff)... and now i am very very rich!! my problem is my progres is slowing because of my small cargo space, i need a ship that is cheep and has a big cargo hold. Please help.
So I think you need a bigger car (truck).
bahman is offline                         Send a private message to bahman
Old 27-11-2005, 08:39 AM   #120
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by whatshisface@Nov 26 2005, 05:48 PM
there is plenty of bigger ships available... you should do some search on various planets (i suggest you try and get something in bernards star as they probably are better stocked). basically if you are on space station you can buy teh biggest one you can afford and then strip. all it needs (for trade in those two safe systemes) is cargo space and engines. you dont' need anything else.

oh and crew. always make sure enough people want to fly!!!! pay them good salary at first, you can sack them later. don't worry.

in fact i have now all my crew on minimum wage :evil: and i drive a panther clipper (has problems with rocket bug, but who needs rockets on such big ship...)

As for shields - yeah this part is a bit strange, because the larger cargo space the larger shields you can have. Imperial explorer is the largest fighter, but for example my cargo ship has so much generators (i think 200) plus i equiped it with all extras (such as energy boosters, autorepair etc.) that it can sustain most of attacks. the only one that burns out the shields and hull to quickly are impersial explorers with particle accelerators. but there are very few of them in systems and i can always load and destroy them.
also dangerous are smaller ships equiped with 100MW beam laser, but only if they have some supports. otherwise i am invincible. my turrets take care of pirate scum.
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor