Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 25-05-2007, 04:13 PM   #111
Japo
Autonomous human

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zigzag @ May 25 2007, 05:18 PM) [snapback]291350[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Oh, here's a question: How is it determined how many cannon are on your ship in combat? The manual says, for example, that a pinnace can hold 8 cannon, yet even when we're carrying 14 cannon (and have no other ships in the fleet) I sometimes enter combat with 4-5 cannon, once even only 2 cannon. I haven't tested crew strength in regards to this, is there a formula for how many men are needed to sail and how many are needed per gun?[/b]
Each additional ship (besides the flagship) takes 2 guns no matter its size. Also you need 4 crew to man each gun, both in your flagship or in the additional ones. So each additional ship takes 8 crew as well. IIRC.

I attack fortified ports always by land. When you attack by land you use your full crew --or maybe you must leave 2 crew in each ship I don't quite know--, but when you attack by sea your forces are limited by the capacity of your attacking ship, and that sucks especially in order to change a port's national allegiance. Besides the ships with greater capacity are the slowest ones that can't sail against the wind and so are useless in this case. So it's either attacking with few men and poor chances of not being gunned down, or attacking with moderate numbers of men and no chances whatsoever; you'd better attack by land with all your men and piece-of-cake chances.
Old 26-05-2007, 12:04 AM   #112
Scatty
Treasure hunter

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Japofran @ May 25 2007, 06:13 PM) [snapback]291352[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
So it's either attacking with few men and poor chances of not being gunned down, or attacking with moderate numbers of men and no chances whatsoever; you'd better attack by land with all your men and piece-of-cake chances.[/b]
I second that. While attacking by land you also have a good chance to decimate the defender's numbers underway if your army is strong, which raises your chances at the final duel considerably. And going through forests hides you well from the enemy, you can come close to the fort without much risk at all that way.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 11-06-2007, 03:54 PM   #113

great game, but your crew starts to desert far too fast, too few opportunities to realy gain the fabulous wealth, before you realy get anywhere you're retiring

Old 11-06-2007, 04:33 PM   #114
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

No offense, but might that be a problem with the way you're playing the game rather than the game design?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 30-06-2007, 11:05 AM   #115
Grand Dad
Game Wizzard

It is a great game...however I am having some problems with it. It worked fine when I was using Win98 with DOS6.2. But ever since I had to switch to XP on my new computer the game doesn't start. Oh! I do use the latest DOSBox but for some unknown reason the game doesn't start says no SPR etc found, althought the directory shows SPR and SPR16 subdirectories. Have tried everything possible. I miss playing it it's far better than the new Sid Meier's Pirates :angry: :wallbash:
Grand Dad is offline                         Send a private message to Grand Dad
Old 30-06-2007, 12:12 PM   #116
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

you extracted the game in a directory first and Then used dosbox, right?
Old 05-07-2007, 11:36 AM   #117
Grand Dad
Game Wizzard

The game was already in my oldgames directory, I don't understand by extracting it first then used DOSBox? All the other games work fine!

PEACE!
Grand Dad is offline                         Send a private message to Grand Dad
Old 05-07-2007, 01:44 PM   #118
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Please post the exact text of the error message.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 11-07-2007, 11:39 PM   #119
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

I just saw Pirates of the Caribbean III: At World's End and guess what?!?!

In the scene when all the pirate lords raise their flags you can recognise the flags!!! They are in fact all taken from this very game (the manual is B/W only, but in game you also see the colors).

Is this coinsidence?
Were the flags really taken from this game?
or
Are those acctual historical pirate flags that were used both in the game and in the movie?
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 17-07-2007, 11:45 AM   #120
Grand Dad
Game Wizzard

Thanks all of you! I should've told you earlier that I got it working fine...it was an SPR error and once I'd copied the files Bingo...I am continuing my old saved games .