Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: What religion do you believe in?
Catholic 7 8.43%
Atheist 27 32.53%
"Born Again" 3 3.61%
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormon) 3 3.61%
Christian non-denominational 8 9.64%
Hindu 1 1.20%
Pagan 0 0%
Lutheran 2 2.41%
Presbyterian 1 1.20%
Methodist 0 0%
Jewish 4 4.82%
Protestant 2 2.41%
Islam 3 3.61%
Other 5 6.02%
"I make my own religion" 15 18.07%
"None of your business" 2 2.41%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 17-02-2005, 07:56 AM   #111
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

It's not my opinion science and religion can't go hand in hand. It's just, that feeling the world explained enough by science I do not feel the need for any religion anymore.
I thoroughly believe that everything man does on this earth, he does on his own account. there's no need for an excuse or a motivation, it's all in our minds (and or societies). scientiest who believe in God can still be excellent in their work and a profound believer.
I am however, a non-believer (and, a scientist).
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 17-02-2005, 09:08 AM   #112
FreeFreddy

Quote:
Originally posted by wendymaree+Feb 17 2005, 08:07 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (wendymaree @ Feb 17 2005, 08:07 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Hmmm...that was very interesting, Alex.* I don't claim to believe in either evolution or the Garden of Eden, nor disbelieve, as I really don't know for sure.* I wasn't around.* However, I saw a thought-provoking documentary last year about ancient mumified remains found somewhere.* This is all very vague as I don't remember names or places, but some scientific type spent a great deal of time trying to track down the remains of an early species of human in order to prove the missing link theory.* (i.e, that humankind descended from primitive apes.)* However what he discovered was even better:* an incredibly ancient skull with enough remaining bone segments that showed the creature walked upright like a human.* Scientific dating showed that this was the oldest skeleton so far discovered.* However, the skull was larger than later finds...even larger than our skull size today.* So this scientiist deduced that humankind is de-evolving, not evolving.[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-wendymaree
@Feb 17 2005, 09:08 AM
Actually, you know, the myths and Bible stories all have strange types of beings that suppposedly wandered about here at various stages.* Could we have descended from an Alien gene pool?* Hell-o?* gene pool...Gene Roddenbury...is anyone getting alien connections here?* Is anyone hearing the music from The Twilight Zone?* :whistle:* [/quote]
I read a book by a Russian scientist, Ernst Muldashev, who didn't allow to print his books outside of Russia, especially in the "western" countries like USA and Europe and like. I won't mention the reasons here, just say that they're not putting the "western" countries in the best light.
Anyway. in his books he made some scientific discoveries that are earthshaking, to say the least. And they are all proven with calculated facts and similar, so there actually isn't place for doubts in them. And he's an internationally known doctor of plastic surgery and transplantation of the eyes, something with allowing blind people to see again (don'T recall exactly now), so he's not some "shady" person that would write some mares.

So, in his books he writes about the civilizations of Atlanteans and the Lemurians (they were before the Atlanteans). They lived all on Earth, btw. Not aliens. He was in Tibet and talked to quite some known people there (and made some discoveries, but these would sound too unbelieveable to you, I fear, so I won't mention them here, either).
To come to the point, he wrote about the usual size of these "pre-people". The Lemurians were usually around 20-25 metres high. The early Atlanteans were around 4-6 metres high, the later Atlanteans, close to the time before they destroyed their civilization, were around 2.5-3 metres high.
Also he wrote about the humans, called the Ariers at that time, that came as followers in the next civilizations step. First they were almost at the size of Atlanteans, 2-2.5 metres high, later those humans who didn't degenrate into apes-similar animals because of lack of civilization became our today's size. So as you see, some similar points to what you wrote, Wendy.

Old 17-02-2005, 09:15 AM   #113
taikara
Abandonia Homie

Sigh.

Why can't people just be happy with things the way they are?

Why not joke and laugh and not be quite so serious all the time?

Who really cares what the differences are between religions, or which beliefs on creation or evolution or lack thereof are more correct?

What does it matter? We're here, no matter how we got here.

Thinking seriously is good, but not when it leads to judging other people for what they believe...

So why emphasize divisions? Just love. That's all.

That's all.
taikara is offline                         Send a private message to taikara
Old 17-02-2005, 09:16 AM   #114
FreeFreddy

Tell me whom to love, and I'll start. Until then, it's interesting to search for answers.

Old 17-02-2005, 09:19 AM   #115
taikara
Abandonia Homie

Start with yourself...

Then start looking around!

Loving is just accepting. Few people really love, but that doesn't mean you can't.

I know you can.
taikara is offline                         Send a private message to taikara
Old 17-02-2005, 09:30 AM   #116
FreeFreddy

About myself - I know who I am. Therefore you could say I love myself enough, but not too much. It can't hurt to always examine itself critically, there are always possible mistakes to make.
About others - I looked around, believe me. For the last 6 years. About love, I think it should be mutually. And I didn't see anyone so far whom I could love. Either she was a disappointment upon looking closer or she simply wasn't any attractive, which is quite usual thing here. Thus said, perhaps my defaults for a friend might be set little higher than usually those of other people. But for that, I'm in the wrong country, I guess. Here in Germany, where people mostly aren't beautiful, have many psychical complexes and whose God is money and work to find the one I search for would need a lot of luck. I gave up to search here already...
Anyway, back to topic.

Old 17-02-2005, 10:20 AM   #117
rainwife
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by FreeFreddy@Feb 17 2005, 10:30 AM
... Here in Germany, where people mostly aren't beautiful, have many psychical complexes and whose God is money and work to find the one I search for would need a lot of luck. I gave up to search here already...
Well, I wouldn't stereotype... One can find people like that in every country and do believe me - not all people in Germany are like that!
rainwife is offline                         Send a private message to rainwife
Old 17-02-2005, 03:12 PM   #118
quatroking
[BANNED]

me+church= crazy Q...
(i hate the church so i have nulled my vote)
quatroking is offline                         Send a private message to quatroking
Old 17-02-2005, 03:57 PM   #119
FreeFreddy

Quote:
Originally posted by rainwife@Feb 17 2005, 12:20 PM
Well, I wouldn't stereotype... One can find people like that in every country and do believe me - not all people in Germany are like that!
Well, that might be right, but I didn't come in contact with really interesting people here around yet. Not because of lack of trying. I can say with being 100% sure that in Russia every 3rd woman is beautiful. Here in Germany, it would be only every 8th or similar.
Did you know that here in Germany they burned the "witches" especially concentrated? No wonder here aren't really many beautiful women left in Germany, and I can say that, after all I live here for 14 years already. So far for the "good and human" Christian religion.
(found the way back to topic *phew* )

Old 17-02-2005, 03:57 PM   #120
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by ReamusLQ@Feb 17 2005, 08:46 AM
What I have never really understood, is why (to me it seems like this atleast) the majority of people feel they can either believe in a religion, or science. They feel as if Science is attacking and trying to cut down religion. Why is this? It has always been my understanding, that the two ultimately work side by side.
That may be true for Judaism, but most other major religions still deny quite a bit of scientifical facts.
Fact of the matter is that jewish religion scholars talked about the theory of evolution some 200 or 300 years before Darwin. A lot of these texts are very advanced for its time, talking about gasses and their effects on life and tiny invisible particles shaping our very world. I don't recall his name now, but one religious scholar claimed about 500 years ago that the world is built up of a lifeforce and that everything we see is built from that energy. This energy was greated by G'd, when this energy was unleashed there was light (Big Bang, note that the creation of the sun happens AFTER the 'creation' of Light in Genisis) and from this energy came the ground and the water. This energy was ofcoarse in the water and the ground and the energy reacted on the water and brough forth... life!

It says black on white in every Jewish explanation of Genisis that life came forth from the soil and the water. The only part where G'd intervened with the 'energy' was with the creation of the Human, when He blessed the human.

So you see according to Judaism there is some sort of evolution and life came forth, not because G'd just put some animals on the world, but through this force. But before this force, before the Big Bang, there was G'd: the Beginning. He who created the energy, He who created Everything.