Originally posted by bahman@Apr 30 2005, 08:39 PM
what is the range of a base defence? 0?
???
Jman4117 is offline                         Send a private message to Jman4117
Old 30-04-2005, 08:45 PM   #1143
axident
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizard+Apr 30 2005, 08:28 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lizard @ Apr 30 2005, 08:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by efthimios@Apr 30 2005, 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lizard@Apr 30 2005, 08:08 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-efthimios
Quote:
Quote:
@Apr 30 2005, 09:57 PM
I don't think it is very strange.* It was just a flesh wound.

With heavy plasma?The weapon that can blow up the armor of UFO?

Well, it didn't touch him, but passed about I don't know, 20cm from the surface of the skin and created a flesh wound, but eh, well , ah, yes. :whistle:
LOL
Sure....
I just waiting for the moment when some alien survive in epicentre of blaster bomb explosion.THAT will be freaky!
Btw:This thread has almost 1500 posts.... :blink: [/b][/quote]
On Superhuman, I once shot a blaster bomb into the face of Sectopod--which survived it!
axident is offline                         Send a private message to axident
Old 30-04-2005, 08:48 PM   #1144
Lizard
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by axident+Apr 30 2005, 10:45 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (axident @ Apr 30 2005, 10:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by Lizard@Apr 30 2005, 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by efthimios@Apr 30 2005, 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lizard@Apr 30 2005, 08:08 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-efthimios
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
@Apr 30 2005, 09:57 PM
I don't think it is very strange.* It was just a flesh wound.

With heavy plasma?The weapon that can blow up the armor of UFO?

Well, it didn't touch him, but passed about I don't know, 20cm from the surface of the skin and created a flesh wound, but eh, well , ah, yes. :whistle:

LOL
Sure....
I just waiting for the moment when some alien survive in epicentre of blaster bomb explosion.THAT will be freaky!
Btw:This thread has almost 1500 posts.... :blink:
On Superhuman, I once shot a blaster bomb into the face of Sectopod--which survived it! [/b][/quote]
I was thinking of something like sectoid, or floater(or even muton...)
Sectopod surviving blaster bomb happens regulary on Superhuman
Lizard is offline                         Send a private message to Lizard
Old 30-04-2005, 08:49 PM   #1145
bahman
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by Jman4117+Apr 30 2005, 08:43 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jman4117 @ Apr 30 2005, 08:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bahman@Apr 30 2005, 08:39 PM
what is the range of a base defence? 0?
??? [/b][/quote]
How I can ask it simpler!? Suppose you build few plamon defence in your base. Now question is that what is the range of this defence. Is it zero? I mean the defence is just usefull when a ufo lans on your base or you can shoot even any ufo in a certain range far from your base. Well I am writing a book for this simple question...
bahman is offline                         Send a private message to bahman
Old 30-04-2005, 08:57 PM   #1146
Danny252
I have a custom title!

they defend your base when aliens attack it.
period.
Old 30-04-2005, 10:31 PM   #1147
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by Axel@Apr 30 2005, 07:01 PM
Hi, im running this game on laptop, win XP using dosbox with D-Fend. My problem is that the game crashes when im trying to atack alien base on earth.
Did you get the game from abandonia?
Otherwise it's possible that you're still playing version 1.0, which had a bug causing the game to crash upon entering an alien base.
However, later versions of the game may or may not be able to load your old saved games, and the same is true when applying patches to upgrade your version of UFO.
Old 30-04-2005, 10:35 PM   #1148
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by bahman@Apr 30 2005, 08:49 PM
How I can ask it simpler!? Suppose you build few plamon defence in your base. Now question is that what is the range of this defence. Is it zero? I mean the defence is just usefull when a ufo lans on your base or you can shoot even any ufo in a certain range far from your base. Well I am writing a book for this simple question...
Base defense will only work when a ufo is attacking your base, so the range is indeed zero. If your technology allows it, build fusion ball defenses. Three or four of those, plus a grav shield, should keep out virtually any ufo.
Old 30-04-2005, 11:57 PM   #1149
Sharp
Game freak

Send a message via ICQ to Sharp

Base Defense 101

You start out with your base defence that attack UFO's, these are the ones that hit your UFO's which try to attack your base (see them incoming via Hyperwave Decoder and they say Alien Retaliation).

come in several forms, from lowest to highest
  • Missile Defence - Conventional rockets, about as useful as throwing a pistol at a sectapod.
  • Laser Defence - Shoots laser beams at incoming UFO's, better then missiles.
  • Plasma Defence - Blow up alien ships with powerful plasma guns, extremly useful in Base Defence.
  • Fusion Ball Launcher - The Ultimate in base defense, a few of these and your base should be safe from any Alien attack
However Base Defence goes much much further then that,

Grav Shield - Every base should have one if you can afford it. This baby makes it so once all your base defences have finished firing it will bounce the UFO back up again and allow all your missiles/beams to fire the UFO's again, it effectivly doubles your base's firepower.

Mind Shield - This doesnt do anything in a direct attack to your base, but if you have a nice base which you dont want the aliens to find out about and attack then getting one of these mind shilelds lowers the chance of the aliens from discovering your base.

-----------------------

That is the basics of base defence in the terms of shooting down UFO's that try and attack your base, so what about the UFO's that might make it through???

Firstly the design of your base is one of the biggest factors in whether you can win a base defence or lose it.

A preffered base design is

X - Empty
H - Hanger
A- Acess Lift
R - Other room

HH HH HH
HH HH HH
XX XX XA
RR RR RR
RR RR RR
RR RR RR

Altrenativly you can have

RX HH HH
RX HH HH
RR XX XA
RR RR RR
RR RR RR
RR RR RR

Aliens only come in through the Acess Lift or Hangers, this method means that you can contain the aliens into a section of your base easily while then mining the hallways with prox grenades, or alternativly you might have some HWP's to kill the alien scum.

---------------------------------

There is another factor that you have to take into account, your equipment. There is an 80- item limit and you automatically get the top 80 items in your base inventory that can be applied to combat, this means that if you have a lot of laser weapons then you will only have a few/no plasma rifles for your troops.

Also should make sure that all soldiers on a base should be wearing armour regardless of whether they are on a troop transporter or not.

There has been rumours that if you have lots and lots of HWP's in your base that they all get used so you can cause a lot of destruction right at the start of the attack, however you must have at least one soldier defending your base otherwise the aliens automatically win.

Just remeber the basic rule though, the best defence is attack, see an incoming alien battleship to your base, take it out with a firestorm.

« † DxRxIx † »
Sharp is offline                         Send a private message to Sharp
Old 01-05-2005, 12:28 AM   #1150
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

Hmm, in an alien invasion/attack of your base, do your troops in the transport planes use the weapons loaded there or those of the base? Do the ones in the planes count towards the 80 limit?
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios