Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 25-04-2005, 06:16 PM   #1061
Spookyfish
Game freak

Heh. It's like you're telling them, "Sorry guys, the travelling expenses replace your salary for this month. Hey, stop complaining, you got free cookies!".

I found this rather neat site that covers pretty much everything on the game. The link seems to be broken now though... Damn. Anyone got any links to a decent UFO site with strategy and that lot?
Spookyfish is offline                         Send a private message to Spookyfish
Old 25-04-2005, 07:18 PM   #1062
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

I think http://www.xcomufo.com/usg.html is a decent one. Topics here on abandonia have gone more in debt than probably any site, but this one covers quite a bit of the game and strategy.
Old 25-04-2005, 07:37 PM   #1063

Does anyone know exactly which version of UFO is available for download? Is it the latest? I've got X-Com (the US version) and I'm just wondering if figuring out how to install that and patching it would give me a more "pure" UFO experience. :blink: I'm a bit obsessive about my games...

Also, has anyone tried to use XComUtil with this version? How does it work?

X-Com was the first game I ever played, but I never finished it (got damn close though, and I was only 8 years old) I mean to remedy that now.

Old 25-04-2005, 07:38 PM   #1064
admanb

^ That's me. Forgot I had an account here. :tai:
admanb is offline                         Send a private message to admanb
Old 25-04-2005, 10:19 PM   #1065
SPAM

This game is real fun... UNTIL THE 100000000000000 TIME TO START A NEW GAME AND STILL CAN NOT GET A GOOD START!!! I once had a captian and 3 sarges andthe rest squadies on a full trans all laser rifles and nades and stun rodes. this was in the 1st month so it was pretty good. I had just captured a 2 engineers a navagator and 4 soldirs. ok all of the unconios ones were in my ship ready to leave in case of big problem. then one dumb alien i has hunting for pops out of nowhere shoots one guy, end of turn. My captian goes nuts an shoots my sarges and 2 squaddies. then the allien throws this weired granade and all my men run like headless chickens till the bomb blows up and kills all but the one in te ship. I get ready to take off with thease captives to find out that one has woken up and taken one of my own rifles and the one perfictly fine suaddie goes nuts instead of stunning the guy. eventually kills the allien in his madnes and i hit abort. Aw well i got a navagator engineer and soldire still right wrong i found ou my alien containment facility was 1 hour from being compleated. then the countries say screw you and forget the program!!!! Earth is in doodoo and i am dead!!! this is just one of my triles to most are not as bad but still the same end result. I have another where the rookies I hire by some stroke of luck can sniper real well and seldome miss but that file is about 15 days form program shutdown and I can not salvage it because I only have on fighter (the other got shot down) and a lighting with 1/2 a tank of fule which if I could get it to take off and fight with the interceptor could then take down a larger ship and have fule!!! I have read the tips about the game but can not seem to do squat, I have even had powered armor and lost every guy. manly because 1 guy was killed so the rest go insane while one allien kills them all, I just want to slap some since into my men!!! Please some one give some good help of the path to reserch in the begining or somthing!!!!!! I am so confused :eeeeeh: it is making me angry :ranting: and sad which mixed together over time make you sick I praise any one who can stop me from hitting my head on the wall

Brought to you in part by----SPAM
(SUPER-PAIRINOIED-ALLIENS-from-MARS)

Old 26-04-2005, 03:10 AM   #1066
Jman4117
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by Spookyfish@Apr 25 2005, 06:16 PM
Heh. It's like you're telling them, "Sorry guys, the travelling expenses replace your salary for this month. Hey, stop complaining, you got free cookies!".

I found this rather neat site that covers pretty much everything on the game. The link seems to be broken now though... Damn. Anyone got any links to a decent UFO site with strategy and that lot?
www.xcomufo.com
http://www.strategycore.co.uk/
Jman4117 is offline                         Send a private message to Jman4117
Old 26-04-2005, 03:17 AM   #1067
Jman4117
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by Guest@Apr 25 2005, 07:37 PM
Does anyone know exactly which version of UFO is available for download? Is it the latest? I've got X-Com (the US version) and I'm just wondering if figuring out how to install that and patching it would give me a more "pure" UFO experience. :blink: I'm a bit obsessive about my games...

Also, has anyone tried to use XComUtil with this version? How does it work?

X-Com was the first game I ever played, but I never finished it (got damn close though, and I was only 8 years old) I mean to remedy that now.
The purest one would probably be 1.2 patched with xcomutil to fix the difficulty bug. 1.4 has a few sound bugs and the Collector's Edition has numerous bugs that can't be fixed (Vertical blaster bombs, proximity grenades, etc.)

And since you have "Xcom: UFO Defense" you probably have 1.2. If it doesn't have the thing where you enter a code from the manual, then it is 1.4
Old 26-04-2005, 04:02 AM   #1068
Jman4117
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by SPAM@Apr 25 2005, 10:19 PM
This game is real fun... UNTIL THE 100000000000000 TIME TO START A NEW GAME AND STILL CAN NOT GET A GOOD START!!! I once had a captian and 3 sarges andthe rest squadies on a full trans all laser rifles and nades and stun rodes. this was in the 1st month so it was pretty good. I had just captured a 2 engineers a* navagator and 4 soldirs. ok all of the unconios ones were in my ship ready to leave in case of big problem. then one dumb alien i has hunting for pops out of nowhere shoots one guy, end of turn.* My captian goes nuts an shoots my sarges and 2 squaddies.* then the allien throws this weired granade and all my men run like headless chickens till the bomb blows up and kills all but the one in te ship. I get ready to take off with thease captives to find out that one has woken up and taken one of my own rifles and the one perfictly fine suaddie goes nuts instead of stunning the guy.* eventually kills the allien in his madnes and i hit abort. Aw well i got a navagator engineer and soldire still right wrong i found ou my alien containment facility was 1 hour from being compleated. then the countries say screw you and forget the program!!!! Earth is in doodoo and i am dead!!! this is just one of my triles to most are not as bad but still the same end result.* I have another where the rookies I hire by some stroke of luck can sniper real well and seldome miss but that file is about 15 days form program shutdown and I can not salvage it because I only have on fighter (the other got shot down) and a lighting with 1/2 a tank of fule which if I could get it to take off and fight with the interceptor could then take down a larger ship and have fule!!!* I have read the tips about the game but can not seem to do squat, I have even had powered armor and lost every guy. manly because 1 guy was killed so the rest go insane while one allien kills them all, I just want to slap some since into my men!!!* Please some one give some good help of the path to reserch in the begining or somthing!!!!!!* I am so confused :eeeeeh:* it is making me angry :ranting:* and sad* * which mixed together over time make you sick * I praise * any one who can stop me from hitting my head on the wall

Brought to you in part by----SPAM
(SUPER-PAIRINOIED-ALLIENS-from-MARS)
If you are losing on month two then you are going over budget. Two months straight in debt = termination. Get up to 20 soldiers, 10 engineers, 20 scientists and 2 tanks in the first few months. Should keep you in the green moneywise.

As for research go with something like: laser pistol, laser rifle, alien alloys, personal armour, medkit, laser cannon, heavy plasma, plasma cannon, craft tech, power armour, crafts, mars.

Mmmmmmm.....tactics....

Bring 10 soldiers and a rocket tank. Laser anything is better than the rifles and pistols you start with. Swap those out ASAP. If your troops have over 35 strength, give them autocannons. If they have decent accuracy on top of it, give them either heavy cannons or rocket launchers. The cannons should be firing HE rounds +90% of the time. Give these guys sidearms in case they run out of ammo or get in a close range battle. The weaker troops get your rifles and pistols along with a mix of proximity nades, standard nades, and HE packs (and bring two smoke grenades, they are nice for departure).

Turn 1: Prime both smoke grenades. Throw one at the top of the ramp and one at the base.

Turn 2: Send the tank and 4 guys out the back. Clear the immediate area.

Turn 3 ->: Scout with the tank and fire with the soldiers from the rear. Find the UFO then put a proximity nade 1 meter from the door. Clear the map on the exterior on the UFO. Move your remaining guys out as you clear the map.

Entry: After securing the various buildings, etc on the map, move you troops towards the UFO. If nothing came out and tripped the proxy while you where scouting, blow it with a standard nade. Move your highest reaction troops next to the door (Laser pistol rocks here vs sectiods/floaters). Send them straight into the door with maxed TUs. If there is more than one alien on a line of sight, move back out; if only one, shoot it and move out; otherwise find cover inside. Move more troops in over the next few turns. If the engine is intact don't use HE with your heavy weapons troops, use their sidearms. Work your way through the ship slowly, high reaction troopers first, until you wipe out the remaining crew. (And if the interior is gutted and there is no engine: Nuke the hell out of the place with HE..... :evil: )
Old 26-04-2005, 06:04 AM   #1069
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

k: Nice explanation, Jman!!

Only 1 thing I could add at the moment: if you see holes in the roof of a small ufo (I mean one measuring 9 squares by 9 squares), you know that its engine has blown up, so you can toss HE packs through the hole in the roof. I usually try to throw at least one as far away from the ufo's door as possible, as there's much chance that there will be aliens at the back of the ufo. When there's smoke inside, it's hard to see them when entering, so it's nice if you can blow them up first
Old 26-04-2005, 10:04 AM   #1070
Student
Thumbs up

Yeah that should do (ive tested it myself). :evil: :evil:
BTW why do i always have to send troops to cydonia? id rather nuke the place :evil: .