Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 24-04-2005, 08:56 AM   #1051
Xcom fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Juan Rayo@Apr 24 2005, 03:09 AM
Last time I loaded the game, though, for whatever reason it got SUPERFAST. Even if I set movement and firing and all to 1 (lowest speed I think) it STILL is superfast. Any ideas what could have caused this?
Thanks
Try to run the small file along with the download (4KB), it's the loader that runs the main file. The loader set the speed to normal at XP

Old 24-04-2005, 11:33 AM   #1052
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by PrejudiceSucks@Apr 24 2005, 08:08 AM
Firestorms (not Avengers) should be used against Battleships as they can take a hit from the battleship and survive...
I use empty Avengers with plasma cannons to shoot alien retaliation ufos heading for my bases. While my defenses would take care of them, this would yield me no points at all. Just shooting one of those is worth some 500 points, plus you can retrieve their elerium and other loot afterwards.
Firestorms are never fast enough to intercept those ufos, it's even a close call with an Avenger.
So far none of my Avengers has ever sustained more than 40% damage, but I'm playing at standard difficulty.

I don't know if there's a difference in fuel (elerium) costs between 1 Avenger or 3 Firestorms.
Old 24-04-2005, 03:02 PM   #1053
Filipsan

Quote:
Originally posted by PrejudiceSucks@Apr 24 2005, 08:08 AM
The music is cut if you are not a VIP. The version with music + videos is about 30 mb.

Interceptors only make good fighters against anything less hard than a Battleship. I don't know what people are doing setting them all to Aggressive, you will cause as much damage without killing everyone onboard and blowing out all of the engines if you put your ships in 'careful'. Range between the Battleship and your craft gives no indication of the damage caused.
What music ?
I have all music in game, and i'm sure i've also intro.. hmm strange

To that second think.. well i can't understant wery well, but you are saying that using 'careful' will cause that ship will be downed withot damage (e.g. alee power sources will be alright) ??
Filipsan is offline                         Send a private message to Filipsan
Old 24-04-2005, 04:35 PM   #1054
Jman4117
Game freak

I think he is talking about all the video that was put into the TFTD CE version.

As for the aggressive interceptor attacks: Aggressive attack = faster fire rate
and if you are despirate and have only interceptors to take it down at the time....you want to drop it fast so you don't lose them all in the attack...
Jman4117 is offline                         Send a private message to Jman4117
Old 24-04-2005, 07:20 PM   #1055
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

If you only have interceptors than your soldiers can't be that good. Down the smaller UFOs with Interceptors (with Avalanches until you get Plasma Cannons) and take their elerium. Once you have an OK amount (say 200) then start investing in Plasma Cannons and armour for your soldiers. Heavy Plasmas are handy for beginners, they kill in pretty much one shot (even Mutons are downed in one), but a lot of people prefer Laser Rifles, me included.

If you are getting really beaten, I suggest just running away. Don't give the enemy a chance to kill all of yor soldiers, you are given credit for even turning up, use it.

Oh for some of you veterans, here is a hint (that you may know, but whatever). There is no problem if you just intercept a ship (of any size) but do not attack it. You get points for not ignoring it, so just attack those battleships (even at the start) but run back to base.
PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks
Old 24-04-2005, 09:49 PM   #1056
Lizard
Abandonia Homie

Just a question,I am not sure about this point:
You lose the game, when your monthly costs will be greater than your funding,or your monthly costs will be paid from your cash and you lose when you dont have cash anymore? :blink:
I never paid attention to my monthly costs before.... :whistle:
Lizard is offline                         Send a private message to Lizard
Old 24-04-2005, 09:58 PM   #1057
axident
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizard@Apr 24 2005, 09:49 PM
Just a question,I am not sure about this point:
You lose the game, when your monthly costs will be greater than your funding,or your monthly costs will be paid from your cash and you lose when you dont have cash anymore? :blink:
I never paid attention to my monthly costs before.... :whistle:
All that matters is your monthly ending balance.

For instance, if you have 1000 Engineers in 8 full-fledged bases, that's a HUGE bill at the end of the month, way more than funding, probably. But as long as those engineers are making lots of laser cannons for sale, and you sell the cannons, then you'll be fine.

Example:
Funding $10 million/month
Expenses $50 million/month

Means that at the end of the month, right before the funding screen pops up, you need $40 million in the bank. If you have less, you begin the next month with a negative balance.

If you have two straight months of negative balance at the end of the month, game over.
axident is offline                         Send a private message to axident
Old 24-04-2005, 10:00 PM   #1058
Lizard
Abandonia Homie

Ahhh....Fine I thought so...
I never looked into monthly costs before(and checked it with fundings.....)So I was little shocked when there was around 5mil salary for my scientists and engineers... :blink:
Lizard is offline                         Send a private message to Lizard
Old 25-04-2005, 04:35 PM   #1059
Sharp
Game freak

Send a message via ICQ to Sharp

heh, just a lil hint which some may consider cheating, others may call it...... good book-keeping.

Simply transfer all engineers/scienists to other bases just before the end of the month. They are in transit during the month change, they are not yet at any of your bases so do not count up to your base(s) monthly costs.

This can be done with soldiers (and skyrangers/interceptors i think) but they are best kept as you never know when you might need them.

This is probably the best way to keep you in the green.

« † DxRxIx † »
Sharp is offline                         Send a private message to Sharp
Old 25-04-2005, 04:55 PM   #1060
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

That is so real life LOL
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios