Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 22-04-2005, 09:35 PM   #1021
Jman4117
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by another_guest+Apr 22 2005, 03:44 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (another_guest @ Apr 22 2005, 03:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Jman4117@Apr 22 2005, 02:07 PM
Any Leader for the Martian Solution, then any Commander for Cydonia or Bust. (Commanders can be from a Battleship or Base.)
It needs to be a commander you captured at an alien base.

Kearnsy: there is no higher rank than commander.

Tip of the moment: Skyrangers won't protect your soldiers inside from blaster bomb explosions, at least a lot of the damage passes through. And apparently it's possible to steer such a bomb through a shed window. [/b][/quote]
No...any will work. I get them from Battleships regularly...
Jman4117 is offline                         Send a private message to Jman4117
Old 22-04-2005, 09:38 PM   #1022
Sharp
Game freak

Send a message via ICQ to Sharp

Heh, ive never had a blasterbomb fly into my skranger.

Also when attacking UFO's always bring at least 2 demo packs, if you can bring 10, hell bring 20 if ya really wanna.

Demo Packs are cheap yet extremly effective, you can blow walls in smaller UFO's and its amazingly useful when you have flying suits and you drop a demo-pack through holes. Demo Packs make very good room clearers, of course be sure that when you prime it always leave it 1 turn instead of 0, thatway justincase your dude goes unconcious another person can chuck the pack away.

And bahman, UFO is obviously a kick-behind game judging by this thread legnth alone, of course for some people it is not thier cup of tea. You might simply not prefer the finer details of UFO: Enemy Unknown.

« † DxRxIx † »
Sharp is offline                         Send a private message to Sharp
Old 22-04-2005, 11:07 PM   #1023
axident
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharp@Apr 22 2005, 09:38 PM
Heh, ive never had a blasterbomb fly into my skranger.

Also when attacking UFO's always bring at least 2 demo packs, if you can bring 10, hell bring 20 if ya really wanna.

Demo Packs are cheap yet extremly effective, you can blow walls in smaller UFO's and its amazingly useful when you have flying suits and you drop a demo-pack through holes. Demo Packs make very good room clearers, of course be sure that when you prime it always leave it 1 turn instead of 0, thatway justincase your dude goes unconcious another person can chuck the pack away.

And bahman, UFO is obviously a kick-behind game judging by this thread legnth alone, of course for some people it is not thier cup of tea. You might simply not prefer the finer details of UFO: Enemy Unknown.
I don't think High Explosives ($1500 a pop) can punch through outer UFO walls without XCOMUTIL. But some UFOs come ready-made with holes in the ceilings thanks to your Firestorm/Interceptor/whatever's work in the Geoscape.
axident is offline                         Send a private message to axident
Old 22-04-2005, 11:40 PM   #1024
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Until now, I'd never had a blaster bomb hitting my skyranger either. But I hadn't counted on a window in a barn, I thought I was steering the bomb right into a wall :whistle:

Once there's a hole in the ufo's roof, you can indeed toss in HE packs without fear of damaging much: the engines (and all the elerium) is already gone, blown up.
Old 23-04-2005, 04:56 AM   #1025
LoL

man elerium 115 or what ever is called is sure a pain in the behind ... i only have like 56 of them and i have to wait for a UFO to land insted of intercept them so i can get elerium

Old 23-04-2005, 07:45 AM   #1026
Guest(1)

Actually, if you intercept UFOs with punyish weapons and attack on 'careful' mode their engines still usually survive.

I learned this after shooting down about 50 UFOs with Plasma cannons on 'normal' and only 1 alien ship still had a working engine (they were small, though).

Old 23-04-2005, 07:47 AM   #1027
UFOGuest

Yeah, same here, really.

I always use Laser Cannons on the smaller ships, plasma cannons on anything bigger then that. Prettty simple to take down anything as long as you are careful about it.

Old 23-04-2005, 07:48 AM   #1028
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by LoL@Apr 23 2005, 04:56 AM
man elerium 115 or what ever is called is sure a pain in the behind ... i only have like 56 of them and i have to wait for a UFO to land insted of intercept them so i can get elerium
When shooting down ufo's, use the careful attack. That way you have the best chance that some of the ufo's engines will survive, especially when they have more than one. It makes a huge difference, so thanks to whoever mentioned that "trick" first in the thread!!
And the bigger the ufo, the more elerium it carries.

I must say this time I've got more elerium than I'll ever need. But then I only used some to build psi amps, some power suits for my best troops (the other get the lighter armour that doesn't need any elerium) and I've been using mostly laser rifles, even when I had enough heavy plasma clips. So basically I just need elerium to keep my Firestorms in the air.
And my Avengers, but those only come out to intercept the most dangerous ufo type. I still use Skyrangers for all missions except alien bases, as they don't require any elerium.
Old 23-04-2005, 07:50 AM   #1029
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

True. Avalanche Missiles will take down anything less good than a Terror Ship, though, like Supply Ships for example.

Supply Ships do have loads of armour, though, so you might want a couple of ships.

Did you know that Careful actually makes your weapons more accurate too. It's pretty handy when you really want to take down small ships, for whatever reason.

In other news I R TEH 1337th POSTZORX!!!12!!

*edit* : seems Another Guest is the 1337 poster. Oh well.

*extra edit* : Another_Guest, why are you using anything larger than a Skyranger on Alien base attacks? They can carry enough soldiers and equipment to get the job done, especially if it contains 14 people with Laser Rifles and Alien Grenades.

Another_Tip for you (see what I did there? Hehey) in cities or alien bases, if you see any red barrels and/or a petrol station, if you fire on it, it will blow itself up. Here is a tip I learned by accident, though. If you Auto Fire on them, then the barrels / petrol station will not be destroyed until all 3 shots have gone, however it will explode 3 times.
PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks
Old 23-04-2005, 10:04 AM   #1030
axident
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by another_guest+Apr 23 2005, 07:48 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (another_guest @ Apr 23 2005, 07:48 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-LOL@Apr 23 2005, 04:56 AM
When shooting down ufo's, use the careful attack. That way you have the best chance that some of the ufo's engines will survive, especially when they have more than one. It makes a huge difference, so thanks to whoever mentioned that "trick" first in the thread!!
And the bigger the ufo, the more elerium it carries.

I must say this time I've got more elerium than I'll ever need. But then I only used some to build psi amps, some power suits for my best troops (the other get the lighter armour that doesn't need any elerium) and I've been using mostly laser rifles, even when I had enough heavy plasma clips. So basically I just need elerium to keep my Firestorms in the air.
And my Avengers, but those only come out to intercept the most dangerous ufo type. I still use Skyrangers for all missions except alien bases, as they don't require any elerium. [/b][/quote]

Thanks to my overkill-game where I'm trying to get 100 top-notch soldiers with maximum stats, I've downed hundreds of UFOs (or waited for them to land first), and I have more E-115 than I'll ever realistically need, now. So I don't even bother with Skyrangers anymore... no point, when I have so much E-115 that I have to build extra general stores just to house it.

The setup I use for each base consists of one Avenger with only ONE Plasma beam, set to Cautious + attack smaller UFOs. The rest are Firestorms and Avengers with dual Plasmas. I used to have one of them with nothing but Laser Cannons, to try to down small UFOs with E-115 intact, but a single-Plasma-cautious attack works okay, plus I usually try to wait until a UFO lands so I have a 100% chance of nabbing the E-115.

***********WARNING: SPOILER/CHEAT METHOD***********

Another way to get around E-115 limits is to cheat on construction materials: Click to build something that uses lots of E-115, like Flying Armor. Have 0 engineers and build 0 armors. Then click on it again, increase the amount of armor to 1, and staff it with engineers. You get the armor for free. You have to have some alloys and 16 units of E-115 to even start building the armor in the first place, though.
axident is offline                         Send a private message to axident