Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 26-01-2010, 04:01 PM   #231
darklandsfan
Default halp!

I can't seem to get the game to run. when I unzip the file I get a directory called darklands with 644 files in it. in this directory is a darkland.exe but when I run it, nothing happens. I also ran the install.exe but it ends up at a screen where it asks me to insert a floppy to install from. how do I get the tame to start? thanks

Old 26-01-2010, 04:50 PM   #232
Saccade
[BANNED]

Are you running this tame from Windows explorer (ie, "my computer") or are you, as is said in the FAQ's, readme's, etc... playing it using an essential piece of software:

Dosbox?

You need Dosbox to play 95% of the tames here at Abandonia.com...
one of our Dosbox guides

If you're still having problems and you *are* using Dosbox, it may be worthwhile starting a thread in "Troubleshooting" to get help.

Of course, you will probably have to sign up, if you haven't already...
We're having problems with the automated system atm, so you can apply here and we'll do it manually for you
Registration Requests
Saccade is offline                         Send a private message to Saccade
Old 22-02-2010, 03:04 PM   #233
calenth

Found this forum in a google search for Darklands info. What a great game! I can still remember when the ads for this came out back when I was in grade school, then playing the game in high school . .seems like every five years or so I get an itch for it again.

I do my party setup a little different from what most other people seem to -- anyone have any thoughts?

Setup

Last edited by arete; 26-02-2010 at 05:49 AM. Reason: per user's request

Old 25-02-2010, 06:20 AM   #234
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

You can't edit posts unless you're registered

And if you do register, you get to randomly post trivia in our chatbox with us to while away the time...

I can join your two posts if you like. And if you need anything, do not hesitate to scream!

*scream in background*
Coming!! We are so busy!

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete
Old 25-02-2010, 04:14 PM   #235
Calenth2
Default please do

Yeah, I tried to register but I think the emails are hitting a spam filter or something. You can merge 'em if you want but then our conversation won't make sense! :P

There are a few errors in the above posts -- after starting a few more games, Nurnberg's armor selection is semi-random, and sometimes it does have full plate sets.

I also think I've figured out the "powergamiest" builds possible, though others may disagree. Oblate/Oblate/Oblate seems to be the strongest possible starting alchemist build, since you avoid the str/end penalties from alchemist/master alchemist and still can start with 43 int at age 30, 3 formulas, and enough alch skill to get somewhere. I like that character from a roleplaying perspective too -- a fallen monk, seduced by the alchemical sciences . . .

For a charisma/speaker character, you can start with 39/39 str/end, 34 Chr, and 41 starting speak common at age 30 by going a fairly bizarre route -- nobility birth, travelling merchant, noble heir, knight. I'm still sortof trying to figure that one out from a roleplay perspective.

With healing, if you're limiting yourself to 30 year olds, I don't think you can start with a character that has 30 healing and thus enough to heal 2/day, since healing breaks every 15 points as best I can figure out so far (you might be able to with Physician, but that character wouldn't be good for anything else). On the other hand, a laborer/laborer/recruit can start with 15+ healing and heal just as well as anyone else would. So that gives your 43/43 Ox character something to study while everyone else is training alchemy or whatever. Also hard to make sense of in roleplay terms though (I like to imagine he just got sick of work accident injuries all the time and started collecting folk remedies).

As an aside, I'm really enjoying that the sweet spot for age in Darklands is 30-35. Makes me feel not quite so old when I think about how long it's been since I first played this game :P

Old 26-02-2010, 05:47 AM   #236
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

You shouldn't need to have an email - as far as I know they don't send them anyway. This forum's been borky for some time, but the owner's devs seem busy on other things...

In any case, please tell us the nature of the bug you're experiencing so that we can help you.

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete
Old 26-02-2010, 09:01 AM   #237
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Just tell me the username you tried to register with. I'll take care of the rest.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 26-02-2010, 06:34 PM   #238
calenth3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
Just tell me the username you tried to register with. I'll take care of the rest.
registered as "Calenth". If the email sender is down then that explains it.

If I start hanging out here more my girlfriend will get even more annoyed with me than she already is for spending all my free time over the past week playing a game from 1992 :P

Old 26-02-2010, 07:01 PM   #239
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

Did take care of it and sent you an e-mail. Can I delete the account calenth1?
Old 26-02-2010, 10:11 PM   #240
Pex
Game Wizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenth2 View Post
For a charisma/speaker character, you can start with 39/39 str/end, 34 Chr, and 41 starting speak common at age 30 by going a fairly bizarre route -- nobility birth, travelling merchant, noble heir, knight. I'm still sortof trying to figure that one out from a roleplay perspective.
Third son of a nobleman with no obvious chance of inherintance or good prospect for marriage decided to build up his own fortune as travelling merchant (maybe working as a guard first, but showing better education then most guards risen to partnership). When both of his elder brothers died (for whatever reason) his father called him back home and made him an heir. Soon after he was knighted as it befits someone of his stature.

In regards to your other post, why some people have so much trouble understanding the charm of playing games from 90ies?

Last edited by Pex; 26-02-2010 at 10:13 PM. Reason: adding last sentence to avoid doubleposting
Pex is offline                         Send a private message to Pex