Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 14-07-2007, 11:26 PM   #431
Iluvalar

I've played for years this game !
and i continu playing til today
Maybe my favorite game ever

Old 17-07-2007, 01:55 PM   #432
schlechtj

Good to see people still interested in Master of magic. I still love the game and play it all the time. Yes, most of the pages are gone. Perhaps people can post the old dead links here. Here is the secret to old dead links: The internet archive has been saving webpages for years. Go to www.archive.org and type the old url into the wayback machine. You cant download stuff but text files etc... are available.

Now about the Unit editor and race editor. I wrote those. If anyone is interested.... I can create a simple web page and post them. I also have a few old save game editors and instructions on how to edit master of magic files. Email me if interested at schlechtj@gmail.com.

Old 17-07-2007, 01:58 PM   #433
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(schlechtj @ Jul 17 2007, 03:55 PM) [snapback]299882[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
www.archive.org[/b]
wow thanks
Old 20-07-2007, 05:20 AM   #434
Guest_Eddie_*

Hey guys I loved this game, boy I wish it were more balanced though. Seems like the main problem is how one decent hero with waterwalk/flying/pathfinding and +movement gear can basically take over the whole world. The problem seems to be with how poweful high defense is against regular units.

Anyway here are my favorite exploits don't read them if you want to keep the game somewhat balanced, you probably already several of them.

Choose custom wizard at the begining, choose 11 life books then you can select summon Torin as one of your beginning spell. Also be sure to choose prayer. Prayer is extremely effective with Torin especially when he's vunerable at the begnining. Put all you magic into mana and you can summon Torin by like turn 20. On impossible he's strong enough to kill some of the weaker lairs and smaller towns by himself at first. Once he gains a level or two he's unstoppable in most situations. Get items/heros for +movement and flying/water walking/pathfinding and you just won the game good job.

Choose Myyor + High Elfs = Longbowmen + adamantium + heroism = GG Get at least 2 Nature books for water walking and make sure you get enough life books for heroism. You now have an unstoppable unit as soon as you find adamantium and can build a town with sawmill and alcamist guild. Use regular longbowmen until you get that city going.

Dwarf Hammerhands these units are amazing. 8 attack 6 guys per unit 4 hit points each. Sadly thats really all the dwarfs have so build them soon and try to take everything over.

Anyway I find that I've finished the game before I can use the more advanced units. Paladins do rock though, I'll wait around and build up just so I can use them.

Old 21-07-2007, 04:52 AM   #435
danhanegan

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest_Eddie_* @ Jul 20 2007, 12:20 AM) [snapback]300360[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Choose custom wizard at the begining, choose 11 life books then you can select summon Torin as one of your beginning spell.[/b]
Unfortunately, this was only possible in the early versions of the game. In the 1.31 release that abandonia downloads, only common spells can be taken as starting spells (1 per spellbook after the first). I forget wether the spell that summons Torin is rare or very rare but it doesn't matter, you can't start with it. This was apparently implemented to eliminate a lot of rather broken early game strategies, some more abusive than the one you mention.

Quote:
Choose Myyor + High Elfs = Longbowmen + adamantium + heroism = GG[/b]
I love High Elves but wouldn't reccomend depending on longbows. In the 1.31 version, pretty much all ranged units suck compared to the same units in the original release. This is because they now only get to fire once per turn, and firing missles takes up their whole turn. In the original release firing only took half a turn, and the unit could either fire a second volley in the other half turn or use the 1/2 movement point remaining to move a space to open or close the range as desired. Longbows were particularly nerfed because the long range attribute was removed from them. When playing in the 1.31 version, longbows are mediocre at best; I prefer the excellent elvish cavalry.

Quote:
Dwarf Hammerhands these units are amazing.[/b]
Hammerhands are nice, but berserkers are better.
danhanegan is offline                         Send a private message to danhanegan
Old 21-07-2007, 09:24 AM   #436
droma
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Hammerhands are nice, but berserkers are better.
[/b]
and chaos channeled berserkers are even better.

When it comes to heroes artifacts are the key, this is why I generally take artificer at the beginning. This cuts your enchanting costs and gives you both artifact creating spells right off the bat. Also worthwile would be warlord, paired with enough life spellbooks and a casting of crusade all your units are able to obtain Champion veterancy. Couple this with either High Men paladins or High Elf Elven Lords and youve got one nasty army. The only ranged units that are really worth the time (outside of heroes of course) are magicians or halfling slingers.

Early in the game, if your chosen race has access to them your best friends are cavalry. These can generally subdue any neut towns and have fair sucess against those roving phantom warriors.

Dont bother with choosing Klackons, Lizardmen, Gnolls, Orcs or Trolls. These either grow too slow, are unruly, or have poor high end units. Orcs are just boring.

High Men are nice as they can build just about everything and they get Paladins. High Elves are nice for thier forester and bonus to hit as well as the Elven Lords and magic power per pop bonus. Halflings are nice for thier food bonus (I dont think im making this up, been a year or so since I played) lucky, and thier slingers, but not really worth picking as your race. Nomads are nice early game because of thier gold bonus and they have good units. Dwarves are nice for thier production bonus, good engineers, hammerhands and stone golems. Draconians are nice but ehh, I dont play them too often.
and thats just some random information I just felt like imparting... Hmm, I think im gonna go play a bit now.
droma is offline                         Send a private message to droma
Old 22-07-2007, 04:36 AM   #437

Hey Dan, I do have v1.31 installed (at least that's what it says on the game screen) and normally you can't pick higher level spells except if you pick all 11 in one school. If you pick all 11 then you start with all of the common spells and it let's you pick a few higher level ones.
As for the longbowmen I seem to have games were I don't have time to build up to very advanced armies and I've found having a horde of 8 longbowmen to be just amazing. Especially if you stick with them and they gain experience. All units only have a base of 10% to hit from a distance so the elvish +1 to hit effectively doubles the longbowmen's abilities. Also I like that they have 8 ammo instead of the only 4 that priests have. I think that 8 longbowmen could kill 8 calvary or maybe even 8 lords if you could cast something to slow them down.
Beserkers huh? I haven't really used them before.
Hammerhands are 8 -attack 4- defense 4 hearts (regular)
Beserkers are 7 -attack 3- defense 3 hearts (regular) BUT they have 3 Thrown.

Hmmm they are pretty close.... I think that one on one the hammerhand would win because of his extra hit point but actually Beserkers are only 120 to build while hammerhands are 160. So yea I think you're right that all around the Beserker is a better unit. Add to that the fact that the
-Thrown attack will kill a few guys before they can counter
-Thrown attack can attack flying units
-Dwarfs are available only on Myyor

and I can see what you mean.

Anyway thanks for posting it was interesting.

-Eddie

PS droma and others what's up with Chaos channels? When I get the "+2 defense" bonus I find that in some battles this bonus is as much at +5 defense!!!!!!
I'm trying to play the game without exploiting it and this seems like an exploit

Old 22-07-2007, 02:18 PM   #438
droma
Forum hobbit

If im not mistaken, and I could be, chaos channels also turns the unit into a chaos creature. This gets them the chaos node bonus of extra attack/defense. Aha, just checked manual:

"In addition to being a valuable source of magic power, nodes can
affect creatures within their spheres of influence. Creatures from the
same magic realm as a node have enhanced attack strengths and
defenses when in combat on squares from which the node draws its
power (the same squares that are covered by a visible aura after a spirit
melds with a node). See Magic Nodes for more details."

So, thats a 2 armour bonus from being chaos channeled and a 3 armour bonus for being under a node's influence.

*Although you dont often find yourself fighting under a chaos node's influence on a regular basis, so there could be a bug here or something as well.
droma is offline                         Send a private message to droma
Old 24-07-2007, 03:37 AM   #439
Computer Illiterate!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DiamondSoul @ Aug 23 2004, 08:23 PM) [snapback]9835[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Oh Master of Magic is simply the best game in the world, i've been playing it for years!!

You guys might have some trouble running the game smoothly with sound, but it is possible using only VDMSound and some tweaking to the properties, if anyone needs help making it work i'd be glad to be of assistance, i just got it to work on my computer with sound without DosBox a little while ago.
[/b]
I need help with this....it keeps telling me to Configure....can you help?

Old 24-07-2007, 03:38 AM   #440
Guest_Eddie_*

Yea I think you're right about turning it into a chaos creature (although I don't remember getting a bonus to my attack just defense), what I didn't realize was that a node's bonus powers extend into adjacent squares as well.

I just did a game with the longbowmen and they work extremely well in many situations. For example with 2 longbowmen with heroism and alchemy (+1 to hit magical weapons) I was able to kill a Sorcery node with 2 phantom beasts and about 6-8 phantom warriors. The longbowmen killed the phantom beasts in 2 shots. This is because they have very low armor. The longbowmen don't work well against guys with high armor. Still I was able to kill hydra & friends in one case and a demon lord & friends in another case with only 4 or 5 longbowmen.

Next I want to try those beserkers out and also warlord with the cursade so I can have elite +2 guys.