Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 02-07-2007, 04:49 PM   #561
riostyx

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Jul 2 2007, 09:56 AM) [snapback]297618[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
If you have any questions, I'm here to answer them.
[/b]
I followed the guide and everything, but after I set up the sound, and I go to start xcom, the game says that it cannot load e/geoscape.
Then the game looks like usual, but in blue, pink, and no text. What's wrong?
riostyx is offline                         Send a private message to riostyx
Old 02-07-2007, 06:44 PM   #562
laiocfar
NOD Commander

You do tried with the other executable? There are 2 of them one with an alien face icon (works properly) and another one with a sun icon (gives geoscape error). Anyway it could be a random hang since its the same error menssage. If you can copy the error menssage textual it would be usefull.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:09 PM   #563
riostyx

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(laiocfar @ Jul 2 2007, 12:44 PM) [snapback]297638[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
You do tried with the other executable? There are 2 of them one with an alien face icon (works properly) and another one with a sun icon (gives geoscape error). Anyway it could be a random hang since its the same error menssage. If you can copy the error menssage textual it would be usefull.
[/b]
I actually have the original (xcom:tftd) cd. It just doesn't work anymore.
It did work on this computer at one point while running compatibility mode, but no longer.
It comes up with the error saying that there has been an illegal instruction detected by the system.
This happened before compatibility mode after I took my turn and during the hidden movement screen.
After compatibility mode, this still happens, but only if I attempt to move a unit down stairs or off a balcony.
I reinstalled before and after I put compatibility mode on, but nothing has helped so far.

Then, I installed DOSbox, mounted to c: and all that. After I perform the sound setup, I try to start the game (in DOSbox.) I get a black screen with an error saying "Cannot open E:geodata\interwin.data."
I press enter and another error comes up saying "Cannot open E:geograph\geoboard.scr."
Enter again, "Cannot open E:geograph\texture.dat." This goes on for twenty or so more similar error messages.

Xcom now starts like it normally would, but with a few differences. The screen where one would usually choose the language no longer has the pic of an aquanaught fighting. Instead, it has a blue background, with a blue rectangle inside that, with four rectangles inside that. Each rectangle is outlined in pink. No text is visible. After clicking what would be English, another black screen comes up where the intro movie and game designer's name would have been. There is a small, pixelated blob of tan, blue, red, and yellow on the bottom of the screen.

I press esc to skip the "movie" and get the screen that normally asks if you want to start a new game, load, or quit to DOS. However, this is the exact same as the language screen, but three rectangles instead of four. If I select "load" or "new game", nothing happens and the game freezes. If I press "quit," I am sent back to DOSbox and the command console thing.

Are you able to download Xcom on this site and should I just do that and see if that works? I know it is not illegal to download a ROM of a game that you already own. Also, where do I download it?
Old 02-07-2007, 10:54 PM   #564
laiocfar
NOD Commander

Do you got the game installed in the folder "C:\Mps\X-Com\Terror From The Deep"? I think that it can be the same error of many Sid´s games as colonization, civilization I and II; all of them requeired to be installed on "C:\Mps" folder.

About downloading, since the game is under esa protection we cant give it to you or give links or directions where its downloable; but since you got a no working copy we are are free to help ya or we dont? 5thhorseman will known better
Old 02-07-2007, 11:11 PM   #565
riostyx

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(laiocfar @ Jul 2 2007, 04:54 PM) [snapback]297680[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Do you got the game installed in the folder "C:\Mps\X-Com\Terror From The Deep"? I think that it can be the same error of many Sid´s games as colonization, civilization I and II; all of them requeired to be installed on "C:\Mps" folder.

About downloading, since the game is under esa protection we cant give it to you or give links or directions where its downloable; but since you got a no working copy we are are free to help ya or we dont? 5thhorseman will known better
[/b]
by c:\mps folder, do you mean that you can't have a sub folder?
on my pc, xcom is in c:\mps\tftd\[data] and a "TERROR" batch file is in c:\mps\ (this does not work)
do I need to get rid of the "tftd" folder?
Old 03-07-2007, 12:45 PM   #566
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

As far as I can tell, the game is trying to read data from its' CD. One it cannot find because it hasn't been mounted in DOSBox yet.
What you need to do is mount your CD-Rom drive in DOSBox for the game to read its data from the CD. Since it seems its' drive letter is E, that would be:
mount E E:\ -t cdrom
I also suggest you reinstall the game under DOSBox (first move the saves somwhere else so you don't lose them), in case it's actually a file corruption problem.

Quote:
Are you able to download Xcom on this site and should I just do that and see if that works? I know it is not illegal to download a ROM of a game that you already own. Also, where do I download it?[/b]
1. No, because it's sold.
2. Is it? Far as I know, it is only legal to make a backup from the copy you yourself posess.
3. Can't tell you. ESA would have our heads on pikes the next day after.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 03-07-2007, 02:21 PM   #567
riostyx

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Jul 3 2007, 06:45 AM) [snapback]297757[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
As far as I can tell, the game is trying to read data from its' CD. One it cannot find because it hasn't been mounted in DOSBox yet.
What you need to do is mount your CD-Rom drive in DOSBox for the game to read its data from the CD. Since it seems its' drive letter is E, that would be:
mount E E:\ -t cdrom
I also suggest you reinstall the game under DOSBox (first move the saves somwhere else so you don't lose them), in case it's actually a file corruption problem.

Quote:
Are you able to download Xcom on this site and should I just do that and see if that works? I know it is not illegal to download a ROM of a game that you already own. Also, where do I download it?[/b]
1. No, because it's sold.
2. Is it? Far as I know, it is only legal to make a backup from the copy you yourself posess.
3. Can't tell you. ESA would have our heads on pikes the next day after.
[/b]
I should mount the CD like I was using Daemon Tools, but using DOSbox instead? I will try and thank you very much.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:27 PM   #568
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

I thought you were talking about a real CD-ROM in your computer's optical drive.

If you mounted an ISO image with Daemon Tools, then you'll have to use DOSBox' IMGMOUNT utility for this purpose:
imgmount E:\ (location of your ISO) -t iso

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 03-07-2007, 02:51 PM   #569
riostyx

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Jul 3 2007, 08:27 AM) [snapback]297775[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I thought you were talking about a real CD-ROM in your computer's optical drive.

If you mounted an ISO image with Daemon Tools, then you'll have to use DOSBox' IMGMOUNT utility for this purpose:
imgmount E:\ (location of your ISO) -t iso
[/b]
I do have a real cd in an optical drive.I know you use isos with daemon (that is not what I have), I just meant... I'm not sure what I meant. Anyways, IT WORKS!
I can now walk down stairs. However it is lagging tremendously. Do I increase the frameskip?
Old 03-07-2007, 03:05 PM   #570
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

You do a few things about that:
1. Open Dosbox.conf and set core to dynamic
2. Change starting cycles to 10000 and the cycleup/cycledown values to 1000.
3. Change output to ddraw or overlay (surface is the slowest one there is)

Now in DOSBox experiment with frameskip and increasing/decreasing cycles until it runs at a satisfactory speed.
CTRL+F7 / F8 increase and decrease frameskip, CTRL+F11 / F12 increase/decrease cycles. I don't recommend setting frameskip too high - 1 or 2 should be more than enough.

Remember to use DOSBox v0.70 for that, BTW, since it's a fair bit faster than the previous versions (and more stable with dynamic core).

-- Reed Richards