Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 09-03-2007, 11:36 AM   #241
Grand Dad
Game Wizzard

Not necessarily 5th_horseman! You can play it even on the DOS Prompt full-screen though it's faster and the mouse does tend to wander if you let it .
Of course the DOSBox is better
Grand Dad is offline                         Send a private message to Grand Dad
Old 11-05-2007, 02:46 AM   #242

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lethe @ Mar 27 2005, 11:02 AM) [snapback]85579[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Am I the only one who actually plays without cheating, and makes the whole fortune selling tobacco to the incas? :bleh:

Finished this game in every way possible except viceroy-spanish, spanish just sucked...
Dutch in south america all the way k:
[/b]
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Microprose Veteran @ Apr 13 2005, 01:41 PM) [snapback]94586[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
My Die Hard Tips To Win In Colonization No Cheating!

1) Play with whatever nation you wish.

2) Play method: play like the French did in reality! - be friendly to the natives; - trade muskets and horses to natives especially those next to enemy cities! - make missions in all native camps in your territory (untill they get offended) --> Why all this trading weapons and horses to natives? Well, the natives in enemy territory will attack enemy colonies of course! This may also help them from becoming extinct. Your 'own' natives must also be armed. If an enemy invasion occurs, most times 'your' natives will attack the invaders if they invaders are numerous. You can also use a missionary to incite the natives into warfare against your rivals.

[/b]
Has nobody else mastered the Spanish rape tactics?!
Raping the Indians can really pay off, as long as you don't try it too early! and please, for the love of god... don't sell them muskets... The Indians can be really temperamental, even if you try to be nice to them... at least with the Spanish smash the indian tactics, you can be sure they will hate you :P

I like to use all 4 nations and I still don't think I've found any one strategy that consistently beats the others.
English immigration isn't half bad though.

I love strategy games. I'm well over Command and Conquer Generals, Warcraft III Frozen Throne (except for DOTA), but I'm downloading colonization today hehehe that game always sees some play at some time of the year.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:29 PM   #243
Japo
Autonomous human

I've tried both being friendly to the Indians and wiping them out. Their aggressiveness can be reasonable, but only if you found missions in every nearby village, don't expect to live alongside them if you don't. I always play with the Spanish (and have beaten Viceroy level), actually I don't care about the bonuses, and I'd say the Spanish one is the most worthless one since combat in this game is so exasperatingly random.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:40 PM   #244
laiocfar
NOD Commander

Spanish arent hard since indians arent good at fighting... the problem are the other europians, when your armies are far away in the rainforest hold an enemy siege is nearly impossible. Normaly, i rush the nearest europians and relly on fleet and some well emplaced forts to dont have landings near my seaside colonies, the inland colonies always got the army near and washigton helping to fight indians can result in a huge number of veterans.
Old 14-05-2007, 10:37 AM   #245
melthas
Abandonia nerd

Immigration bonus of The English is the best for me. Because you can make a difference in this game by increasing your population and thus production.
Dutch starting with a merchantman and a stable trade is also good. You can use the money you earn to populate your colonies.
The French and the Spanish are the worst while the french are a little bit better IMHO.
melthas is offline                         Send a private message to melthas
Old 14-05-2007, 12:57 PM   #246
Nick
Переводчик помаленьку

Send a message via ICQ to Nick Send a message via Skype™ to Nick

Netherlands rules. It has merchantman at start, so you can transport more cargo to the Motherland and make a jump relative to your European neighbours in development. I always play for them. But my first completion was for English. For historical authentity.

Nick is offline                         Send a private message to Nick
Old 15-05-2007, 03:33 AM   #247
laiocfar
NOD Commander

Netherlands gots the economy power and it results in a good advantege, the best in the game if you ask me, but war and exploring are always better than buy imigrants.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:59 PM   #248
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

[semi rant]What's with all these swamps I wonder. I started 5-6 games, random map, and every single one of them had the entire coastline consisting solely of swamp. Isn't there supposed to be any other tiles? [/semi rant]
Old 02-06-2007, 04:25 PM   #249
Japo
Autonomous human

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mighty Midget @ Jun 2 2007, 05:59 PM) [snapback]292699[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
[semi rant]What's with all these swamps I wonder. I started 5-6 games, random map, and every single one of them had the entire coastline consisting solely of swamp. Isn't there supposed to be any other tiles? [/semi rant][/b]
Then go to other latitudes. I also get tired of tropical climate all the time, because my ship seems to arrive always at tropical latitudes. Nevertheless you can colonize there just as well... if you like five sugars in your tea.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:58 PM   #250
Incappucciato d'Ombra
A Shadow in the shadows

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Japofran @ Jun 2 2007, 06:25 PM) [snapback]292701[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I also get tired of tropical climate all the time, because my ship seems to arrive always at tropical latitudes.
[/b]
This because there is only 4 entry point for the ship (14, 28, 42 and 56 on Y axis) but only in America's map , on random map there is only 2 : 28 and 42, and at this latitudes only tropical, savannah, rain and swamp can be found in abundance :tai:

Imho, this is one of the major fault of colonization (random and custom maps sucks ! :angry: ).
Incappucciato d'Ombra is offline                         Send a private message to Incappucciato d'Ombra