Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 02-02-2007, 03:52 AM   #2681
styer27

Send a message via AIM to styer27 Send a message via MSN to styer27

Awsome guys thanks!

I think ive figured out the problem i was talking about in question 10, heres an example:

I was fighting a small craft, a large scout, full of etherals. I killed all enemys outside the ship and walked 2 men inside the 1st compartment after the main hatch, the one with the two doors, one left, one right, no aliens in sight, one of my men entered the next door, into the navigation room where en etheral was hiding, i shot at him but missed so was forced to end my turn. The etheral mind controlled my soldier who then walked back into the 1st compartment and shot my 2nd man, ok, thats all normal, enemy had los.
I had two more men hiding outside the main hatch and i would walk in, see my mind controlled soldier, then walk back out again, i did this so i didnt have to kill my soldier. But everytime i walked back out of the craft and ended my turn, the aliens would mind control the same soldier every turn, even though he was secluded in the 1st room by himself. Now you could say that the etheral was walking in, mind controling my man, then walking back into the navigation room, but i hear no doors opening or closing, so that wasnt the case. After about 5 turns i gained control of my soldier again who was still in the same room, i then searched and found the only etheral hiding in the engine room by himself. How on earth could he have possibly had los to my man from two rooms away?

My conclusion is this:
An enemy alien MUST have los to mind control a trooper, but unlike our troopers who mind control an alien then they dissapear next turn caus of no los, i think the aliens still see thier target for one turn after the initial mind control. This is hard to put into words. Lets say i mind control a sectoid and then walk him into a room where noone can see him, on the next turn he will dissapear for me, but if i was an etheral, i think i would still see him, no matter where he is.

Hope everyone understood that.

Someone else must have an example of something similar. If not, i guess im taking too many drugs :wallbash:
styer27 is offline                         Send a private message to styer27
Old 02-02-2007, 10:25 AM   #2682
Japo
Autonomous human

That makes sense, as I said the aliens are pretty good at knowing where your soldiers are. More than once I got the impression that they knew withot having LOS but I didn't study any case as thoroughly as you.

So are you positive that it lasts only for one turn? You said that you spent 5 turns in retaking control of your soldier and the aliens didn't need to go into the same room at any time during those 5 turns. It may be a bug/design flaw, or maybe intentional to account for alien mind superiority, that LOS are recalculated for your turn but not for the aliens' turn, or stuff; so they would always get to mind attack any soldier who was mind attacked the previous turn. That would fit my experience.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:47 PM   #2683
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
An enemy alien MUST have los to mind control a trooper, but unlike our troopers who mind control an alien then they dissapear next turn caus of no los, i think the aliens still see thier target for one turn after the initial mind control. This is hard to put into words. Lets say i mind control a sectoid and then walk him into a room where noone can see him, brain_ph34r.gif on the next turn he will dissapear for me, but if i was an etheral, i think i would still see him, no matter where he is.[/b]
Makes sense, actually.

Also, the LOS calculations are not perfect and bugs sometimes occur. The alien may have been calculated to have LOS to your soldier by accident.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 03-02-2007, 10:33 PM   #2684
permeant

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Feb 1 2007, 04:18 AM) [snapback]277475[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(permeant @ Feb 1 2007, 08:47 AM) [snapback]277415[/snapback]
Quote:
I am running DosBox 0.65 on my powerbook G4 (mac). I've downloaded the DOS version of xcom from this site, but I can't get it running. I'm having the same sort of geoscape/tactical flipping problem, at best.

Can anyone please post line-by line instructions on how to run this game? :wallbash:

I have been craving some xcom for so long, and it's excruciating to be hung up here!

thanks! permeant
[/b]
Without knowing what you have exactly done and what specifically is the problem, we cannot help you.
Until you post more detailed information about your problem, I can only refer you to this FAQ.

Please post a more detailed description of your problem including any and all error messages you encountered.
[/b][/quote]

I'm running Mac OS 10.4.8 on PBG4. I've installed DosBox 0.65 (Mac version), which seems to be up and running fine in a window. It shows its colorful ASCII spash screen, sets some sound parameters at the command line, and sits at Z:\>

I've downloaded the DOS version of X-Com from abandonia, and it sits uncompressed in a self-generated folder "xcom" on my desktop.

In DosBox:
Z:\> mount d /users/x/desktop/xcom -t cdrom
"MSCDEX: Mounted subdirectory: limited support. Drive D is mounted as CDRom."

Z:\> d:

directory listing shows:
17 files (368,701 bytes total)
25 directories

file names:
cdsetup.bat
done.com
dos4gw.exe
ds_sto~1
full.bat
go.com
install.bat
intr.o
intro.exe
noway.com
readme.txt
setup.exe
small.bat
sound.cfg
ufoc.d
ufocd.bat
welcome.com

(not clear to me which is the main executable... but seems to be go.com?)

D:\> go.com

... DosBox window goes black, then a moment later shows some colored stripes along the top, title bar reading: "DosBox 0.65, Cpu Cycles 3000, Frameskip 0, Program: GEOSCAPE"... a couple seconds later goes black again with title "...TACTICAL", then switches between the two every couple seconds, ad infinitum, hung.

Any help?
permeant

permeant is offline                         Send a private message to permeant
Old 03-02-2007, 11:08 PM   #2685
verek_22
Licenced misery wizard

This game is really cool. I'll never stop liking it. :w00t:
verek_22 is offline                         Send a private message to verek_22
Old 04-02-2007, 12:55 AM   #2686
permeant

OK, so I got it figured out. Had to MOUNT a C: drive, "INSTALL.BAT C:", then edit the "c:\UFOCD.BAT" file to include my "d:" drive in place of the "%1", as CDSETUP didn't replace the variables as it was supposed to. And XCOM runs!

Only problem is, it's quite slow and choppy. My latest hour was spent trying to figure out how to press CTRL-F1 on my mac without it controlling the brightness, so I can load the keymapper, so that I can reassign the CTRL-F8 to another combination, because @$#@ CTRL-F8 opens up my mac menu bar instead of changing the FrameSkip's. bloody h---. (BTW, mac users, pressing like all the ctrl-option-command-fn buttons plus F1 does it)

So now we'll see if it's even worth playing, or too slow :blink:
-permeant
permeant is offline                         Send a private message to permeant
Old 04-02-2007, 02:38 PM   #2687
Japo
Autonomous human

You know that you can increase cycles pressing Ctrl+F12, do yo? (Can't help you with Mac issues.) 3,000 may be not enough.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:02 PM   #2688
HomerDOHSimpson

In the dosbox folder is a .conf file you can edit the cycles dosbox start with.
You can also copy&paste and create a GAMENAME.conf file for every game and create a batch file to start with this file.

Here's my batch file for Ultima 8. (Ultima.bat)

C:\Programme\DOSBox-0.65\DOSBox -conf C:\Programme\DOSBox-0.65\Ultima8.conf Y:\DOSGAMES\Ultima8\u8.exe

1st part where dosbox is
2nd part (-conf) start game with specific conf file
3rd part where the exe of the game is

If this don't help. READ THE README.
HomerDOHSimpson is offline                         Send a private message to HomerDOHSimpson
Old 05-02-2007, 12:03 PM   #2689
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

3000 cycles is way not enough for this game. Increase to around 10000 and see if that helps.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 09-02-2007, 01:12 PM   #2690
deki86

Ciao a tutti!

vorrei sapere come si fa per promuovere i soldati, visto ke ho un colonello con oltre 100 uccisioni alle spalle e non riesce a d diventare comandante e altri soldati ke non riesckono a essere promossi, kome devo fare?

Mod-edit: Babelfish translation:
Quote:
Hello to all! I would want to know like is made in order to promote the soldiers, approval ke I have a colonello with beyond 100 killings to the shoulders and it does not succeed in d becoming commander and other soldiers ke not riesckono to being promoted, kome I must make?[/b]