Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 25-10-2006, 04:47 AM   #11
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

5 Days and 7 Days had their moments, I will admit but then again, they were designed "Old School". The first Resident Evil was pretty scary when I played it the first time, so was Gabriel Knight (the werewolf story, I forgot the title). But them shooters...? Nah. Just plain, insane, inane fun, no matter their generation.

Overall, I think you're right: Today's game (as has been established by now ) are all about stunning graphics, while they seemed to care more about mood, feeling and tension in the earlier days.
Old 25-10-2006, 07:36 AM   #12
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I'm glad you mentioned the 5 and 7 days adventures - personally I found the third installment (Trilby's Notes?) by far the creepiest. The brilliant faded colour scheme of the "insane" world, and the way you could slip into that world randomly.
I especially liked when you randomly ended up inside the basement of the defoe mansion being attacked, and all that you can do is say "it hurts" - I don't really get creeped out by much of anything, so I particularly love the fact that a freeware "ameteur" game was what did it for me
Old 25-10-2006, 07:42 AM   #13
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

HL1 jumping crabs that jump from darkness still manage to scare me. especially in those tight dark places.
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 25-10-2006, 11:58 AM   #14
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

When I was playing Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines. Maybe it's not exactly prevailing throughout the game, but there were a fair few places which had me on the edge. The haunted hotel especially, but abandoned hospital was very good too.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 25-10-2006, 01:34 PM   #15
The Punisher
Abandonia nerd

Question

F.E.A.R. IS ONE HELL OF A GAME.... Blood, gore, darkness and a little scary creepy girl!!! EEEEKKKKK!!!!
The Punisher is offline                         Send a private message to The Punisher
Old 25-10-2006, 02:03 PM   #16
Horoma
Abandonia nerd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Oct 25 2006, 01:58 PM) [snapback]263496[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
When I was playing Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines. Maybe it's not exactly prevailing throughout the game, but there were a fair few places which had me on the edge. The haunted hotel especially, but abandoned hospital was very good too.
[/b]
Oh yeah, the haunted hotel, that's what I call great atmosphere. k:

It really scared the crap out of me. I mean, you arrive there unexpectingly, still happy you found the way through the sewers, and when you approach the front door ...... BANG .... the outside lamp explodes. Perfectly sets the mood from the start. And when you enter, it just gets worse. Especially the kitchen scene was damn scary.

The hospital was scary too, but far less, and let's not forget the werewolf in the park. Of course, after the first playthrough, the tension is much less, because you already know what's going to happen.

Honorable mention too for the London Tower in Vampire TM:Redemption. Definitely not as scary as the haunted hotel, but still great atmosphere.
Horoma is offline                         Send a private message to Horoma
Old 25-10-2006, 02:14 PM   #17
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

For me it was more the visions and voices that appeared there.

The house where you first encounter Andrei and the subsequent tunnel section are also noteworthy - the horror is a bit more splatter-type there, tho.

And the plaguebearer cult. Zombie horror, but it starts getting scary after a few minutes.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 25-10-2006, 08:12 PM   #18
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

BORING.
Scariest game evar is like Undying dewd, even at teh nightimez, ya know.

@Midget: Yeah right, like I'd ever be scared by some older game like I was by Call of Cthulu, talk about creepy fish peeps.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 25-10-2006, 08:39 PM   #19
troop18546
Home Sweet Abandonia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Punisher @ Oct 25 2006, 04:34 PM) [snapback]263513[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
F.E.A.R. IS ONE HELL OF A GAME.... Blood, gore, darkness and a little scary creepy girl!!! EEEEKKKKK!!!!
[/b]
Oh please...
Blood and gore - yes, but scary? More like one level in the whole game in 1616517464168748 types of ways remixed all over and the same enemies with their numbers over 1000K. LOLZ
The girl is the most un-scaryest thing I've seen in a game. LOL

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Punisher @ Oct 24 2006, 10:57 PM) [snapback]263376[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
A long time ago, me and my friend played AVP we walked around a corner and suddenly a alien jump on us :w00t: LOL We were so scared that we runned away from the computer
[/b]
ZOMG, that is pretty much the scariest game in the world. Just crank up the volume a tad bit and you'll see what I'm talking about.
troop18546 is offline                         Send a private message to troop18546
Old 26-10-2006, 07:52 AM   #20
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Just out of interest Blood-Pigggy, have you actually played any of those older games like Gabriel Knight?

Incidentally, IMHO Lovecraft was a pulp hack, and therefore not particularly scary.