Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 26-09-2006, 12:50 PM   #51
DEB

Unhappy

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragon_Fire @ Sep 26 2006, 06:41 AM) [snapback]257390[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
sorry DEB , but that didn't help. I am using the top save bar. thanks for trying k:
[/b]
Maybe you have saved one of the 2 auto saves to the top bar somehow. The program may be set to not allow a save over these. Try saving to another ( blank ) bar using a different save game name format to that used on the auto save bars.

I have windows 98 & no problems. See previous post by me re getting game to run in MS DOS; this may help in the circumstances if it is a "computer" fault.
If no luck try a new download and save over your exsisting copy in case of a download error.

Good Luck.
DEB is offline                         Send a private message to DEB
Old 29-09-2006, 09:26 AM   #52
Dragon_Fire

:brain: thanks deb i went with dl from another site and everything is working
just fine , except one of the A.I. players is out to get me, i know it!
All hail the conputer. LOL

Worried that this program from here might be corrupted in some way?
Dragon_Fire is offline                         Send a private message to Dragon_Fire
Old 29-09-2006, 07:31 PM   #53
DEB

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragon_Fire @ Sep 29 2006, 10:26 AM) [snapback]258107[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

Worried that this program from here might be corrupted in some way?
[/b]
Unlikely.
May have been a problem with the "Mirror" you downloaded from; you may have used a different one to me.
Or; more likely, just a download problem - I have had these some times, although if it was, yours was an unusual one. No doubt "the_fifth_horseman" will monitor this.

Glad you are now OK.
DEB is offline                         Send a private message to DEB
Old 26-03-2007, 03:07 AM   #54
Eric

Thank you very much for making AdvCiv available. I still have my original disk, but on my Win2000 laptop it can't find the CD ROM as a key.

Question: I downloaded the abandonia version and the AC_Main boots up just fine. The contols on the top half of the first screen also work fine. My problem is that the pointer won't go below the top third of the opening opening screen. I tried using an abandonia boot disk to load the proper mouse driver. The disk starts up OK, but will not see any other drives but A: and B: Any other drives are said to be invalid. So I have no way to start the game.

Arrgh! So close, but yet so far! I'd like not to have to go to an intermediate environment (DOSbox). Is there anything else I can try to get the pointer to move around the entire game screen?

Old 26-03-2007, 01:09 PM   #55
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
The disk starts up OK, but will not see any other drives but A: and B: Any other drives are said to be invalid. So I have no way to start the game.[/b]
NTFS file system, right?

Quote:
Arrgh! So close, but yet so far! I'd like not to have to go to an intermediate environment (DOSbox). Is there anything else I can try to get the pointer to move around the entire game screen?[/b]
You might try using VDMSound (downloadable from our programs page) to run it, but I heard there are problems getting it to work on W2K.
You might simply have no other choice left but to use DosBox.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 18-12-2007, 12:45 AM   #56
scallaghan
Lurker

Default So...

So does this game work in DOSBox or not? I use win xp....
I don't want to download it if it doesnt work because I have limited monthly internet transfer... so every MB counts...
I read through this thread and saw many people have problems with the game...
scallaghan is offline                         Send a private message to scallaghan
Old 18-12-2007, 02:55 PM   #57
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

Yes, it works. But as always you can't say it with dead certainty for every single PC. Simply download it and try it in DOSBox. If it doesn't run, then you still have pure WinXP as a last option, before you have to ask here again. And that's the point: With the help from all the forums people the dead certainty will be REACHED! (almost)
Old 06-11-2008, 05:42 PM   #58
BiffaloBuff

Default Some thoughts

You should be able to win every game, nearly always handily, against these hapless computer opponents.

I think it's hardest to play as Illyria, Thrace or Crete on a packed board (7 opponents), so it's nice and crowded, especially in your region. If I play as another civ, I prefer 6 opponents, so the world is less crowded and it's easier for someone else to get strong.

GET MILITARY! The advantage of moving last far outweighs this tool's disadvantages. I go for Metalworking first (a good tool in its own right and 20 points to Military), then aim for Military, although I may need to pick up a small-point tool such as Clothmaking or Music in between, depending on how things are going.

As a rule, if you have 9, 10 or perhaps even 11 goods, it's better to pitch 1, 2 or maybe even 3 of them than to cash them in for a small-value tool.

I try to build a few cities in the backwoods or on the edges of the board (corners sometimes), usually requiring 12 units to construct. It's an investment, but once up, they're pretty safe from attack, unless I get saddled with Barbarians.

After Military, I make Medicine a high priority. I'm going to be the strongest, so the AI will constantly be saddling me with secondary calamity effects.

Otherwise, you can make a case for many tools in the first half of the game. Pottery, Clothmaking, Engineering, Astronomy, Drama & Poetry, Music, Architecture and Mysticism all have advantages.

Of course there's the luck factor. There will be games where you draw Civil War or otherwise get slammed with an unusual number of calamities. In this version, you can curse your opponents and not make any enemies!
BiffaloBuff is offline                         Send a private message to BiffaloBuff
Old 17-06-2009, 06:43 PM   #59
gumpy
Game freak

This game has nothing to do with the Mircroprose game I take it?
gumpy is offline                         Send a private message to gumpy
Old 31-08-2009, 03:09 PM   #60
BranjoHello
Skilled WormMaster

Boooooring!

BranjoHello is offline                         Send a private message to BranjoHello