Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 16-08-2006, 06:56 PM   #51

Sigh, I've run up against a huge crash.

I just finished freeing the prisoners and teleported back to the rebel base. When I ask the leader "What's next?" Vavoom dumps out to Windows. Anyone know of any remedies?

PS. I think I installed the 1.3 patch . . . at least I THINK it worked . . .

Old 12-09-2006, 07:47 PM   #52
Nigga
Forum hobbit

Well, I don't know if my replies will be useful, cause a very long period of time has passed since the posts mentioned here, but still I'll write...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Computica(Guest from Beats of Ra @ Feb 9 2006, 11:44 PM) [snapback]205478[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
What if I could get you all the Full game, would that be illegal to have it for download through the Net? I got the Original game and case right at my home in perfect condition. I made 5 backup copys just incase something happend. k:
[/b]
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sebatianos @ Feb 10 2006, 12:29 AM) [snapback]205496[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Computica(Guest from Beats of Ra@Feb 9 2006, 10:44 PM
What if I could get you all the Full game
What do you mean Full game? This isn't a demo version...
[/b]
Yes, Abandonia version is full, but it lacks just one file - VOICES.WAD (which "weighs" 27 MB, for instance!), the file's name fully uncovers its purpose I think!!! That's why people don't talk during the game and there is no voice in the intro sequence.
I also have got a FULL version of the game with all them voices, if you are interested!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Goodguy3 @ May 5 2006, 12:43 AM) [snapback]228672[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
My problem is that the people do not speakto me(asin, no text is displayed for them), but ican respond to them just as they are talking tome...its bugging me..
[/b]
There is an option is Strife which controls whether the text of the conversations is displayed (not just pronounced) when you interact with them NPCs. It is toggled by some functional key right during the game (like auto-health is toggled by F5). I think it's F8, but I'm not sure. Press F1 for help and look through ALL the keys, you will find it there!

"What if everything you see is more than what you see-the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You can either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Nigga is offline                         Send a private message to Nigga
Old 12-09-2006, 08:22 PM   #53
Treewyrm
Abandonia nerd

Aaah... Strife. I remember playing demo long time ago when it came out, I was amazed by things they done to regular FPS, while all those features by now are not that impressive still I must admit it was tough for the time when it came out. Besides the game have different endings depending on how you make your way through. Interesting plot and good atmosphere, a cross between medieval times and high-tech aliens catched perfectly. What unfortunate that the game is quite short and some maps are really weird and unlogical but still nicely done considering it's just a good old doom engine. Strife pushed engine to the limits even hexen did not reach. Too bad the game came out too late. Nevertheless I think it's a great game, definetly had features ahead of it's time. Many modern games don't even attempt to implement some of those which Strife had. Good game and definetely worth playing despite it's age.
Treewyrm is offline                         Send a private message to Treewyrm
Old 26-09-2006, 01:32 PM   #54
Fenril

I remember playing this game at a friends a very long time back but at the time I couldnt run it on my pc.

Im using zdoom seems to get rid of the sound slowdown problem, I also installed the 1.3 patch but seems like zdoom has its own save system.

Is there anything I can tune in the options to make the sprites/models less pixilated? :\

Also what makes for better sound...general midi or soundblaster awe32?
Fenril is offline                         Send a private message to Fenril
Old 26-09-2006, 04:49 PM   #55

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fenril @ Sep 26 2006, 01:32 PM) [snapback]257486[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Also what makes for better sound...general midi or soundblaster awe32?
[/b]
Soundblaster AWE32, but only if you actually have the card on old 486DX2. In DosBox it doesn't matter which "card" you select for MIDI music, it all would sound more or less the same.

Old 23-02-2007, 06:59 PM   #56
Malachite

I got ZDoom, and it improved the game greatly! Thank you so much, I seem to have a problem though, for some reason I will save, but when I quite and then start the game back up, all the save files are gone, is there a way to fir that?

Any way, Strife is on of the best FPS ever! I love the RPG aspect of it, I really wish there were more games like it!

Old 23-02-2007, 10:24 PM   #57
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Mounting the main drive instead of the game folder, and then manually changing to that folder will probably help. Some games have problem to find their location when the folder is mounted in DosBox like a drive.
Example:

mount c c:\games\strife -----> wrong

mount c c:\
c:
cd games\strife -----> correct

Ignore the red sentence in DosBox that mounting the drive C: is not adviseable.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 07-04-2007, 12:56 PM   #58
Mousazz
Game freak

Angry

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom Henrik @ Feb 5 2005, 04:43 PM) [snapback]61945[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Just added the cheats for the game.

Unfortunately we are not allowed to host a walkthrough for the game, but I have permission to link to a very good and detailed Walkthrough written by Ulf Stromberg k:
[/b]
thanks for the cheats! type RIFT10. Now, type LEGO 4, PUMPUPH 5 and PUMPUPS 10 times. Now, IT'S TIME TO KILL!!!! . Use SIGIL and kill EVERY front soldier (including MACIL and his SPECTRE (if they're alive)). You could use that for TARGET PRACTICE :brain: :brain: :brain: !. Easy killing i tell ya! . use SURGERY KITS to replace SIGIL and SOLDIER damage. press escape and new game to restart. then do the same.
P.S.: I like 1st sigil (attack: homes lightning strikes from sky on target) most, coz it deals a lot of damage and very little (4) health is lost.
Enjoy
Mousazz is offline                         Send a private message to Mousazz
Old 07-04-2007, 05:34 PM   #59
Mousazz
Game freak

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Computica @ Apr 21 2006, 11:43 PM) [snapback]224757[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Oh! the download size for this game is about 30mb the one on my CD is 60mb. Hmm... Do the people talk during the text, and does music play ingame, and during the begining movie is there a man's voice speaking? Maybe all the talk about sound is just that all the sound files aren't included in you all's download...

You all have great discussions I'll sign up as Computica.
[/b]
there's no music. everything else is there, believe me, please.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:07 PM   #60
Mousazz
Game freak

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Scatty @ Feb 24 2007, 02:24 AM) [snapback]280729[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Mounting the main drive instead of the game folder, and then manually changing to that folder will probably help. Some games have problem to find their location when the folder is mounted in DosBox like a drive.
Example:

mount c c:\games\strife -----> wrong

mount c c:\
c:
cd games\strife -----> correct

Ignore the red sentence in DosBox that mounting the drive C: is not adviseable.
[/b]
i used the first option (mount c c:\games\strife -----> wrong). the thing is, you have to select that mounted folder (mount c c:\games\strife [enter] c: [enter] -----> correct). note: enter is used for execution of order

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Malachite @ Feb 23 2007, 10:59 PM) [snapback]280716[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I got ZDoom, and it improved the game greatly! Thank you so much, I seem to have a problem though, for some reason I will save, but when I quite and then start the game back up, all the save files are gone, is there a way to fir that?

Any way, Strife is on of the best FPS ever! I love the RPG aspect of it, I really wish there were more games like it!
[/b]
i don't know, didn't have that problem. TIP: try installing the game where it is selected by default, then move it where you want.
example: installed: c:\strife. moved: e:\games\abandonia\strife.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mousazz @ Apr 7 2007, 03:56 PM) [snapback]286413[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom Henrik @ Feb 5 2005, 04:43 PM) [snapback]61945[/snapback]
Quote:
Just added the cheats for the game.

Unfortunately we are not allowed to host a walkthrough for the game, but I have permission to link to a very good and detailed Walkthrough written by Ulf Stromberg k:
[/b]
thanks for the cheats! type RIFT10. Now, type LEGO 4 and PUMPUPH 5 times. Now, IT'S TIME TO KILL!!!! . Use SIGIL and kill EVERY front soldier (including MACIL and his SPECTRE (if they're alive)). You could use that for TARGET PRACTICE :brain: :brain: :brain: !. Easy killing i tell ya! . use SURGERY KITS to replace SIGIL and SOLDIER damage. press escape and new game to restart. then do the same.
P.S.: I like 1st sigil (attack: homes lightning strikes from sky on target) most, coz it deals a lot of damage and very little (4) health is lost.
Enjoy
[/b][/quote]