Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 31-07-2006, 11:32 AM   #31
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Dudes. Don't overuse quotes.
Especially, don't quote umpteen posts not related to your problem. That's some bad forum manners.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 01-08-2006, 04:57 AM   #32
Aboikos

That was me yesterday with the over quoting. Sorry about that.

I'll state my question in what i hope is more appropriate way.

When playing this most excelent game, my progress is slowed to tiring legnths by the AI "considering to buy ships". E.g. (0,20,30) and then it counts down slowly, (0, 19, 30), untill (0, 0, 0) and then the next AI does the same thing. With 7 AI's it is a study in boredom, leaving you enough time to, say, write a post contemplating the problem....

I am already aware of the ctrl+F12 etc. trick, but is there any other ways to speed up the game? Like downloading a possible improvement for DOSBox or strapping a rabits foot around the hard drive.

All attemps to help is greatly appreciated.

With respect,

Aboo.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Jul 31 2006, 11:32 AM) [snapback]246066[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Dudes. Don't overuse quotes.
Especially, don't quote umpteen posts not related to your problem. That's some bad forum manners.
[/b]

Old 01-08-2006, 08:57 AM   #33
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

In dosbox.conf, you can change core=normal to core=dynamic. This can increase the maximum functional cycle count for your machine up to twice the usual count.

Another possible trick... the review says the game is compatibile with VDMSound. As a rule of thumb, games tend to run faster on VDMSound then in DosBox.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 02-08-2006, 11:03 AM   #34
Aboikos

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Aug 1 2006, 08:57 AM) [snapback]246240[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
In dosbox.conf, you can change core=normal to core=dynamic. This can increase the maximum functional cycle count for your machine up to twice the usual count.

Another possible trick... the review says the game is compatibile with VDMSound. As a rule of thumb, games tend to run faster on VDMSound then in DosBox.
[/b]

THANK YOU! That solved the problem and the game is running smoothly now. I am very happy.

Aboikos

Old 03-08-2006, 11:54 AM   #35
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Glad to hear I was of help.

-- Reed Richards
Old 03-08-2006, 08:30 PM   #36
brainTeaser
Lurker

wow lots of people with problems.

I had no problems. I was going to ask if anyone is moddifying because a couple things would be nice.

#1 the trade is a bit wrong. In the board game the rules are you must trade atleast 3 cards and 2 must be correct. In the PC game it is only letting you trade 3. Not really that big of a deal though.

What is really my reqeuest is to allow for a 'setup'. Basically you could pick all of the players and where they have units, how much treasury they have, the commodity cards they currently hold, and then of course acheivment cards.

Why you ask would I want this?

To bounce between a PC game a real life. Would be kewl if me and my friends were playing a game and got to tired and just documented what is out there. Then send out a game and play by email that is the same (that is until we can meet again and then reset it up)

lastly, how about implimented the additions that are being done in Civproject . That would be kewl I think... but anyways. This is deffinately kewl either way
brainTeaser is offline                         Send a private message to brainTeaser
Old 02-09-2006, 01:19 PM   #37
DEB

I downloaded Advanced Civilization yesterday, but am unable to get it to run. I have a Windows 98 system.
I also own CIVIL WAR which runs on DOS, see details below:-

Requirements
------------
IBM PC or 100% compatible
386 DX-33 or better
4MB of RAM
SVGA (VESA) supported graphics card with 1 MB of video memory
Hard disk with 10MB of free space
100% Microsoft compatiblle mouse and driver
550K of free conventional
2.7 free Extended (XMS) memory

Civil War runs in SVGA at 640x480 with 256
colors and requires an SVGA (VESA) supported
graphics card with 1MB of video memory to
run.

Although the above specifications are the same as those for Advanced Civilization, I am receiving a DOS message suggesting that the program cannot trace VESA at 640x480 with 256 colors! It then drops out of DOS from a Screen marked as AC_MAIN FINISHED.

I have set up a shortcut as per the Windows 95 advice, which does not show the DOS message noted above
but drops out of DOS at the same point. However, I cannot get the sortcut properties info to recognise the .BAT info as there is no .BAT file in Advanced Civilization. :wallbash:

Can anyone please advise/help me get around these problems or advise how I can run the game on Windows 98. Thanks.
N.B. I have not tried DOSBOX as its notes suggest the Windows 95 shortcut method is the best means of getting results.

DEB is offline                         Send a private message to DEB
Old 02-09-2006, 03:39 PM   #38
DEB

Smile

I also downloaded the Manual for this from this site - but it is the basic Civilization Manual !
How (or where ) do I get the Advanced Civilization Manual or an update to the basic
Civilization one?

Thanks.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:54 PM   #39
DEB

I decided to have a go at MS DOS and got a bit furthur than before !

C:\ADVCIV\AC_MAIN.EXE got me past the grapics query but crashed with error message :
Can't open catalog file- aciv.ct1.

Posted as I thought this might be useful to any pending answer.

N.B. Found the DOSBOX site, and it said Windows 98 needs DOSBOX to run game correctly.

Can anyone confirm this?
Old 04-09-2006, 10:57 AM   #40
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Nah. Windows 98 has onboard DOS, y'know?

These two topics should help:
How to configure DOS for gaming
Win98 - Memory
Another option is to use Abandonia's bootdisk.

Have a nice game!

-- Reed Richards