Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 10-04-2006, 12:20 AM   #411
Mister.D

Naw, I just reinstalled it and now its working fine..
Must have been something odd happened when I downloaded it the first time.

Everything seems to run pretty good now, and I'm actually starting to kick the Aliens' asses.

I forgot how much fun this game was, I've been geeking out on this game every chance I get now :Titan:

By the way, if anyone else is playing this game and having trouble on the larger UFO attacks where you send in the troops.

Seems best way to deal with those super large troop ships is this, Set your guys up outside like a huge firing line.

Have 3 squads of at least 4 men each, and create a U shapred formation with them
so that 2 teams are opposite of eachother catching enemy in a crossfire, and have one team directly facing the door laying on the ground to spot targets.

Just let the enemy come out to you, and mow them down
I've been having great sucess with this tactic so far, as the enemy will always come out to you.
Mister.D is offline                         Send a private message to Mister.D
Old 11-04-2006, 06:49 AM   #412
laiocfar
NOD Commander

I use the same tactic to most of UFO, 2 teams of at least 4 men to make cross fire in the door. Some ufos got more than one gate so i make 4 teams to ambush them when coming out.
There are 2 lager Ufos, the battleship or UFO type 9; and the mothership or UFO type 10. Both with 4 squares on cityscape. The fisrt of them got like windows in the side. The battleship assault is the hardest to made. The enter to the Ufo is under the land, u should go by the corridors, there is an exit just in front of this gate so go there fast or the aliens will escape into city. There is also two windows in NE and SW sides, only flying units can move by there, so the flying bananas(sketoids?) will attack your rear. An airbone strike using marsec armor its too risky cuz u will get in the heavy fire as the aliens do when comming out from normal ufos. U also will find that they both carry a complete army inside. If killed the flyers, the bears aliens(Megaspawns?), the antropod cohort and the walking bombs; u should enter cuz there are always some aliens without enough moral to go out and some other bears trapped. In short, 2 teams to cover the ufo´s gate from north and south(4 men and expect to lose 1 or 2 per team), 2 teams of three people for cover the enters to the corridors(they should sppot the flyers and when done reinforce the team that get in combat with the other); after the main battle, reagroup unwounded soldiers in an assault group to enter the ufo and end the mission, u should got at least 6 healty troopers... if not the risky of defeat is still great.
This was a battleship, unlucky, i only assaulted a couple of motherships and with heavy causalities. I still dont get how do this type of Ufo, but u shoul made some blows to the alien dimension preventing attacks for avoid most of motherships.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:47 AM   #413
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Storming UFO's never been a problem for me. I beleives that it should not be a problem for you either as soon as you research the personal shielding technology as well as the dart gun...

Also, only the Marsec Armor torso is required to fly, you can (as I always do) take only the Marsec body and equip Megapoll standard armor for the rest of the body. It end up basically a Megapoll armor, with the torso slightly weaker and the ability to flly which greatly make up for the loss of armor. My flying assault team is usually my Martian Psy team. Having them flying counter the fact they are almost always too weak to actually wear any kind of armor, so when they get a few kills their strenght get up and I can begin to use them as normal squaddies on the ground too. And Psy attacks sometime make the difference with a walk in the park and a gruesome mission. There is nothing like taking control of an Alien, make him throw his usefull stuff at you and arm all his grenades and mines before making it run back toward his "friends"... And look at them all dying together. :twisted:
Old 12-04-2006, 05:05 AM   #414
laiocfar
NOD Commander

I only use Megapol products, Marsec hate me, the shield reduce your loses to 0 but they growth again when they deploy their alien bazooka.... this can banish a shield with only one partial hit or as area damge. The solution is the X-com armor but the shield protection is gone for ever. Psi attack dont prevent loses from Megaspawns (the big guy that look like a refrigerator), they are very tough and fire missiles and cannon beams. Plus they got the organic misile that eats the armor and other equipment. Its hard to deal with it.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:23 AM   #415
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

You can use more than one shield for the same units, this bring the shielding stronger if I'm not mistaken and my memory serve me right. Also, shields regenerate over time, so just keep rotating those squaddies and keep those with low shields on the back and it will do wonders. Also, you can use shields with the Xcom armor. For the rest, it's normal squaddie tactics management... If you see an alien with a "bazooka" then scatter and don't keep all your men packed up.

With the toxin B, you can kill about anything more than easily. Even those biological tanks. And it goes thru shields. It's harmless for your men and deadly for the Aliens, when I have enough to equip all my squaddies I usually only give them that unless I expect human resistance at the mission landing.
Old 14-04-2006, 01:32 AM   #416
Gerg Neymores

Got the game running pretty smoothly by upping DOSBox to 13000. But I am not sure how to get the music working. the sound is set up but I get no music and when I attempt to turn it on via the ingame options menu, the game locks up. help me?

Old 14-04-2006, 11:07 AM   #417
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Check the soundcard settings in Dosbox.conf. Try changing the card to Sound Blaster Pro 2.
Check the settings in the game's install/setup program. It's a different executable then the one used to run the actual game. Try using Autodetect.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 14-04-2006, 06:31 PM   #418
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

There is no music in the downloadable version because it been ripped that way.

Beleive me, you are not missing much.
Old 14-04-2006, 08:26 PM   #419
Gerg Neymores

Rock, thx for the info. Guess I'll just listen to my own music while I play.

Old 15-04-2006, 01:24 AM   #420
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

If you want an hint: you can hear Aliens closeby with the noise they make. This helps at lot, especially in the beginning.