Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 27-03-2006, 02:24 PM   #2241
Japo
Autonomous human

My strategy involves covering the whole world, and goes as follows. First base in Europe, second in Eastern Asia and Third in North America. The order is dictated by the addition of the covered countries' contribution to X-Com. In the long term all of them get full operational facilities and personnel.

Among my soldiers I select one third of them with the greatest psionic strength, and put them in Europe, which is closest to the other two. When the mission is against Sectoids or Ethereals, I launch from Europe and my squad is then impervious to psionic attacks.

The rest of the world is covered by cheap radar-only bases in Africa, South America, Australia and the North Pole, which can include stores so that I can free some slots occupied by storage facilities in the operational bases.
Old 28-03-2006, 08:27 AM   #2242

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramidel@Mar 26 2006, 01:06 PM
Ironically, early in the game I don't hit the UFOs with my Skyranger, just my Interceptor. This is when I've just got conventional weapons, mind.

I misunderstood what you meant by this. Your new post has made this all clear now. k:

Expand? ::blinks:: What's this expand thing? o.o

By expand I mean building bases. I aslo build no more than four bases. My first in Europe, second in USA, third in Austrailia and lastly in Siberia - I use the last one for storage only.

I'm only playing the game on experienced level, so I'll be interested to see if I will need to change my stratagy when I play on a higher level.

Old 28-03-2006, 08:38 AM   #2243
Hypersniper
Forum hobbit

The post above was by me. I forgot to log in.
Old 28-03-2006, 12:01 PM   #2244

Hi all

I've started playing this game recently, and when it came to the point of attacking an alien base I ran in to some problems.
Is it possible to use those red teleport things yourself?
When I start playing a base attack mission most of my men start in a room with green floor which I can't seem to be able to leave. Only one or two of my men are outside these rooms, and that of course makes it pretty hard to finish the mission.
The last one, for example, I had to finish with only one man. He got a rediculous amount of kills, which was pretty funny, but it was also very hard to do. Any suggestions?

Old 28-03-2006, 12:49 PM   #2245
laiocfar
NOD Commander

Quote:
I'm only playing the game on experienced level, so I'll be interested to see if I will need to change my stratagy when I play on a higher level.
I use 8 bases, 3 with troopers and the rest only for interceptors. Europe (small lab, small workshop, 25 troopers, 1 Interceptor and 1 Firestorm); SouthAmerica (big workshop, 20 troops, 1 I and 1 F); South East Asia (big lab, 20 T, 1 I and 1 F); North America (1 I); Africa (1 I); Australia (1 I); Siberia (1 I); Antartica (1 I). I only lost tracks when they go trought Pacific, i need a listening post on Hawai. I start first base in Europe where u got most of your income, and next build min facilities bases network and expand where aliens show more interest.

Quote:
Is it possible to use those red teleport things yourself?
When I start playing a base attack mission most of my men start in a room with green floor which I can't seem to be able to leave. Only one or two of my men are outside these rooms, and that of course makes it pretty hard to finish the mission.
The last one, for example, I had to finish with only one man. He got a rediculous amount of kills, which was pretty funny, but it was also very hard to do. Any suggestions?
haha, u must know that the green floor and the red squares that u called teleport thing are just elevators, there are two buttons as a pawn and an arrow head next to use them. When the elevator goes to an upper level u will see some red lines coming from the floor. U need use them to attack some big ships where a 4 squares alien can be trapped in the upper hull
Anyway avoid to have all your squad or most of it in the same place during an alien base attacks, move as max in groups of 2, all the groups should work as one but no more of 2 men by room or some fusion ball launcher will blow up any room with 3 squaddies. If they sppot a room with many people KABOOM. Better got rambo like heros than got a top squad dead.
Old 28-03-2006, 02:11 PM   #2246
Japo
Autonomous human

The buttons Laiocfar talks about, which you need to go up and down in lifts, are the ones on the far left; most likely you haven't used them yet. Have fun.
Old 29-03-2006, 07:40 PM   #2247
Wolf Thug
Super Freak

Motion Scanners suck im not too good at using them and is there any way my toops dont loose control ....example ,paniking,alien control or go beserk i know bravery plays a part so less brave soldiers are given jobs like Medic,Weapon carrier etc is this a good way to curb the control thing..
Wolf Thug is offline                         Send a private message to Wolf Thug
Old 29-03-2006, 10:43 PM   #2248
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolf Thug@Mar 29 2006, 07:40 PM
Motion Scanners suck im not too good at using them and is there any way my toops dont loose control ....example ,paniking,alien control or go beserk i know bravery plays a part so less brave soldiers are given jobs like Medic,Weapon carrier etc is this a good way to curb the control thing..
Only Psychic training in the Psi-labs once you have Psychic technology.
PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks
Old 30-03-2006, 12:10 AM   #2249
Japo
Autonomous human

I also think that MSs suck, they're of no help: even if you know that there's an alien in a room, it doesn't mean it's not going to shoot you, if you enter a room with an alien inside you're in no disadvantage compared to the situation in which you knew it was there beforehand. Plus MSs spend TUs when used, they keep one hand busy so that a puny one-handed gun (pistol) must be used, or the two-handed gun gets a worse aim.

I never use them, besides my strategy for combat involves that I don't have to search for the aliens. I comb the whole area with my squad forming an advancing "curtain": the soldiers aren't too close so that the aliens don't get an easy score, but still no alien can trespass the line and get into my secured area unnoticed.

As for the psionic attacks, according to the manual a soldier's resistance to them doesn't depend on his psionic skill, which can be trained, but rather on his psionic strength, which is innate and cannot change through training nor otherwise. But of course, you don't know each soldier's psionic strength until he gets at least a month of psionic training. But you can suppose it--I think the aliens target the mentally weakest soldiers first.

I've got a system that defens me against psionic attacks, I've talked about it in a previous post on this same page.
Old 30-03-2006, 02:59 AM   #2250
laiocfar
NOD Commander

Psi defence cant be trained :bleh:

Japofran, use the line as formation its easy when u got a full squad and some open terrain where fire can be crossed, its the right formation to fight in the jungle. But in city scape or baes, it becomes unusefull and risky, u can be easyly ambushed and if some of they get in your rear, u are dead. There is were i started to use rombo like formation and a secure zone at the rear with guards, heavy weaponary and replacements.

MS are very usefull in city scape or base fighting particulary in base defences to set ambush. The trooper with the MS is only for MS, he must be used to move another soldiers or to know when the attacking aliens pass to attack next turn from their rear.
THe big fail of MS is that it no detect aliens that are waiting you to come in for shot and move.