Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 01-11-2005, 10:26 PM   #81
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Maybe we should add onto that.
How about taking everyone's ideas?

A 3D, RPG, side-scrolling, action, Space Invaders on a 2D plane?

To the Team: I'm also very good as a level designer, so I might come in handy for that.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 02-11-2005, 11:55 AM   #82
Taskmaster
Super Freak

NeverWinter Nights has a very nice toolset for creating modules. The engine is all done, there are tools for dialogue trees, scripting and the like.

You would have work for the designers (over all design, terrain types, planning order, etc), artist and modelers (rebitmap existing object,and make new ones), writers (dialogue, lore, etc), programmers (there is scripting in a C++ like if I recall correctly), etc.

The game already has a huge base so lot of folks would be able to play the finished product. There are web sites that have tutorial, help, etc. It is easy enough to make a nice module (I've made two) without spending years on it.

Old 02-11-2005, 12:04 PM   #83
Nikson
Game Wizzard

The toolset is for making NWN modules. It can't be used to create separate, independent software.
Nikson is offline                         Send a private message to Nikson
Old 02-11-2005, 01:36 PM   #84
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

Okay, the following members are in the team:
(Remind me if youre missing in the list)

TheChosen
Nikson
Bobbin Threadbare
Abi79
Danny252
Moogle
Blood-Piggy
Punch999
Swiss
Chickenman
OlSheep
Fawfulhasfury
Taskmaster

In the weekend, il check everyones skills and update this in the first post.

@Swiss-Nice logo. k:

Blood-Piggy told me that whe should have 2 or 3 more designers (Im the main designer).

Blood-Piggy and Nikson will be the two other designers.

And now, on the game.....

The idea of the 3D space invaders is...well...it doesnt sound new. It might just be a pong with a 1€ coin and a 100$ bill as a backround.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 02-11-2005, 03:07 PM   #85
Abi79
Home Sweet Abandonia

Send a message via Yahoo to Abi79

A game... Hm... I usually can't come up with good ideas, but I'd recommend a 2d game in which you control a squad of troopers during World War II. You need to do missions while, by scrooling the map, you can see other battles taking place and/or planes flying... Something like that, but would likely be too hard for us, so....

A game simmilar to SWAT maybe ? In a 2D world, you need to save hostages, attack terrorists... (of course it needs to be a game playable on a PII 266 MHz and on a 2MB 2D graphic card....or support DirectX 7 and a Voodoo 2 ... no particular reasons :P )
Abi79 is offline                         Send a private message to Abi79
Old 02-11-2005, 03:23 PM   #86
Danny252
I have a custom title!

Quote:
Originally posted by Taskmaster@Nov 2 2005, 12:55 PM
NeverWinter Nights has a very nice toolset for creating modules. The engine is all done, there are tools for dialogue trees, scripting and the like.

You would have work for the designers (over all design, terrain types, planning order, etc), artist and modelers (rebitmap existing object,and make new ones), writers (dialogue, lore, etc), programmers (there is scripting in a C++ like if I recall correctly), etc.

The game already has a huge base so lot of folks would be able to play the finished product. There are web sites that have tutorial, help, etc. It is easy enough to make a nice module (I've made two) without spending years on it.
And for us without NWN? Must we just sit here and twiddle our thumbs? NOONE I know in school or on msn has ever mentioned NWN..
huge fanbase indeed..
Old 02-11-2005, 06:06 PM   #87
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I have NWN, but there's very little that most of us can do, because more of us don't have NWN.
Which engine now?
A semi-3D Space Invaders would work best in GameMaker.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 02-11-2005, 07:57 PM   #88
Taskmaster
Super Freak

I was just tossing out ideas. Whether or not you have the game, does mean it doesn't have a huge base. I did not read a post that said you wanted to sell the game or not. NWN would be a great toolset if you wanted to create an RPG that is story based.

One of the best rules in facilitating a large group and gathering ideas, is that there are "No bad ideas." Every idea and person submitting the idea is respected. After you have gathered the ideas, then each person selects their top 5 from the list and you go from there.

As for being on the team, I don't think at present that I have the time necessary to devote to it. Thank you for considering me though.

Old 03-11-2005, 02:27 AM   #89
OlSheep
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Blood-Piggy told me that whe should have 2 or 3 more designers (Im the main designer).
It seems to me that this is a strange way to pick game designers. The point here is to give that title to those who are able/willing to write a game design document (you'll have to create an account on gamasutra to read this article). You can't just point your finger at someone and say "you'll be designing the game" (well, you could, but that doesn't seem very efficient). Now, don't get me wrong, these are wise choices. The thing is, as long as no one here comes forward with a complete, written vision of a finished product, no one here can claim to be the "game designer".

Of course, if we're going to create some sort of Space Invaders, there won't be much need for a game design document (as long as we're talking about keeping the original game's style, the concept is relatively simple). Incidentally, we won't need game designers. The programmers (that is, if we happen to have more than one working on this) will have to agree on various conventions so that everything is done cleanly and that's it.

I'm truly sorry if I sound a bit anal. You know that French forum I keep talking about? They get a huge bunch of 10 to 12 years old who want to see their names on their dream game's credits screen. The result is a lot of morons posting things such as "I'll be the game designer, I won't work and you guys'll do my bidding." Of course, this always lead to a flame-fest. After years of reading these posts, I get twitchy when a see something about game design.

[edit]: Back on-topic, I think we should do a simple rogue-like (with 2D graphics, I'm not writing an ASCII renderer :P). It shouldn't be hard to keep things simple, it'll be enough to gauge our team's capabilities and it'll allow us to re-use some of our work if we want to make a real RPG later on.
OlSheep is offline                         Send a private message to OlSheep
Old 03-11-2005, 04:25 AM   #90
Nikson
Game Wizzard

Sounds good. Old School dungeon crawlers are very good for pushing programming ability without focusing on the graphical side.
My thumbs up k: for the idea.
Nikson is offline                         Send a private message to Nikson