Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 27-10-2005, 02:11 PM   #1771

Yes, I know that... But its not the battles which are running too fast, its the whole game...

Old 27-10-2005, 02:13 PM   #1772
The Unknown

Sorry, It was me...
Old 29-10-2005, 07:46 PM   #1773

My x-com works just fine, i've tried the version from here and from HOTU and they work fine. Now. when i get x-comutil it starts just fine, and the x-comutil settings are working, i can get to combat and play it, but if i save in the middle of a combat and load it, it dosnt work anymore. for that matter. no combat works after i've played one combat over. i've tried reinstalling and different drivers and alot of different things. So i was curious if anyone has any ideas what would help.

A list of the different things i've tried.

Util with YEs to all. Util with No to all. Util with standards to all
Making a shortcut(bat) to the exe's a bat to the bats and so on. as instructed and starting the game from them.
No graphic acceleration. Full (no effect)

Old 30-10-2005, 10:10 AM   #1774
blue123
Abandonia nerd

I've ran the game a few times, and it doesn't crash anymore.
blue123 is offline                         Send a private message to blue123
Old 31-10-2005, 07:20 AM   #1775
mcbugge
Lurker

I do not know if this has already been discussed, it was just too many damn posts :P I have been trying to capture an alien leader, but I just can't find one. I understand that they usually are inside battleships and alien bases, but I have shot down three battleships and I just can't find one. Any help on this would be nice
mcbugge is offline                         Send a private message to mcbugge
Old 31-10-2005, 10:06 AM   #1776
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

It has been discussed quite a few times, and of course with all these repetitions this thread becomes even bigger

It's been quite a while since I played UFO. I'm not sure about battleships, but alien bases certainly contain an alien leader. Most often he can be found in the control room with the huge "elevator" in the middle. Most of the time you'll manage to get there before the 3-or-so aliens in that room have left. Be careful though, one or more of them may wield a blaster launcher, and you don't want your precious alien leader to be blown up by his own troops by mistake
Old 31-10-2005, 10:53 AM   #1777
anders_

Hi.

I've read some posts not far from all in this huge thread.
I finally managed to get this game running but got a few questions.

1. Is the bug still in wich makes stats go all around if too high?
2. Any stats that are more important or useless? I recall Fire Accuracy and Time Units were very important.

I've dealt with the third ship, got unconsious alien all three times but the building for alien prisoners is not finished yet
anders_ is offline                         Send a private message to anders_
Old 31-10-2005, 01:03 PM   #1778
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

I'm not sure if there's been any update solving the stats bug, but I don't think the bug itself poses much of a problem... You'd need hundreds of missions to get your stats up that high, if you manage at all to keep anyone alive that long. I've finished the game twice, and I never got too close to the 255 limit.

Imo, fire accuracy is the most important stat. Time units comes in second because for several actions (like shooting), a soldier needs a fixed percentage of his TUs. So lots of TUs will just increase your soldier's walking range, quite useful for hit and run attacks but not as important in the end as accuracy.
Hugely important are the psy stats, but those come in later in the game. Even the best soldiers aren't of much use if they can't resist psy attacks... And once you've trained some soldiers in psy warfare, it's so easy to take control of these pesky aliens.
Hm yes, I forgot strenght. While I wouldn't sack soldiers for lack of strength, this stat is mainly important to decide the weapon distribution among soldiers.

About those scientists: if it's a money issue, hire engineers instead. These guys make you quite a bit of money (produce med-kits, laser rifles and later on laser cannons), enabling you to get out of the money-trouble-spiral. At least that's what I usually try, first get some engineers to make a profit, then use that money to support my research.
Old 31-10-2005, 02:02 PM   #1779
anders_

Thanks, I got to page 35 this far and I realize I forgot to let the heavy weapons to the strongest soldiers.
Also believe I should up scientists atleast 10 more (got 30 almost at end of january).

I'd better do some trial and error to work the rest out.
anders_ is offline                         Send a private message to anders_
Old 31-10-2005, 09:25 PM   #1780
Sharp
Game freak

Send a message via ICQ to Sharp

Reactions is a very important stat, and bravery is a decider one for me as well.

High Reactions are a must because if your soldier has low reactions, it will take him/her far longer to improve the reactions stat as the only way to increase the reactions stat is to use oppurtunity fire, and soldiers with low reactions do that less often.

« † DxRxIx † »
Sharp is offline                         Send a private message to Sharp