Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 06-09-2005, 07:07 PM   #11
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

How can a democratic country have judges that are on their position untill their die?

Althought i have nothing against older people it is a proven fact that cerain processes are not done as fast and mind is not so clear anymore when you are old. That's why people retire.

So why have 70 year old or 80 year old judges???
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 06-09-2005, 07:15 PM   #12
blastradius14
Abandonia Homie

They are appointed for life.

Benjamin Franklin lived for a very long time... maybe he had influence on it?
blastradius14 is offline                         Send a private message to blastradius14
Old 06-09-2005, 08:49 PM   #13
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by Doubler@Sep 6 2005, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Judges should be independant, atheist and centre-based for them to really be reliable.
Atheist? Make that agnostic.
I'd say make that independent. :bleh:
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 07-09-2005, 12:36 AM   #14
allyfaucet
Abandonia nerd

I've never heard of the guy. I was out of the know when Rehnquist died, too :blink:

I don't think it matters too much if a judge is religious or affiliated with a party or on the political spectrum, as long as they can make sound decisions. Of course all of that stuff influences their judgement, but that's why we have 9 of them to go off of each other, so you get people from Scalia all the way to Ginsberg.
allyfaucet is offline                         Send a private message to allyfaucet
Old 07-09-2005, 04:38 PM   #15
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Quote:
Originally posted by R Havell@Sep 7 2005, 05:38 PM
Actually, not "letting go" is not effective not only because of the timnig issue but becuase sperm may already be present on the penis and some sperm are ejaculated during sex. But anyway, back onto US politics...
Well there were times in the US political history when these questions were completely in place...

But back on topic - judges should be completely independent, unfortunately if they are, no body is recomending them. Infulental people recomend judges that would be useful to them. And because these peoepl are influential their candidates usually end up where they want them to end up. Laws have nothing to do here - politcs can change laws - especially if the legal minds are their candidates... This just proves what the Greeks already found out in the ancient times - you can't have democracy once all the people can't be physically present at an importaint meeting. Representatives of the people don't represent democracy anymore.
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 07-09-2005, 06:35 PM   #16
Toxik
Game Wizzard

I always say that.there is no democracy unless you know whats is really going on and you can change it
For my country iom getting tired ofthings like.politics increades their wages by 7500 czk(
its like around 35czk to 1 usd)discussion about increasing wages of firemen,policemen
and doctors are moved to next year
Toxik is offline                         Send a private message to Toxik
Old 08-09-2005, 01:43 AM   #17
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by allyfaucet@Sep 7 2005, 12:36 AM
I don't think it matters too much if a judge is religious or affiliated with a party or on the political spectrum, as long as they can make sound decisions. Of course all of that stuff influences their judgement, but that's why we have 9 of them to go off of each other, so you get people from Scalia all the way to Ginsberg.
You realize, of course, that at one time the justices were chosen for their lack of political and religious affiliations? And that Ginsberg is a moderate--that the last liberal on the Court died roughly 30 years ago?
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 08-09-2005, 04:12 AM   #18
eolsunder

Hey, its just the way humans are.

To have perfect Judges you need to have robots, who have no emotions or political ties, something that can just judge the laws.

But Judges are humans, so EVERY Judge ever made has political ties, ideals, views on life. And all those things influence their decisions. A good Judge will try and limit those views, but every one will put their views into their decisions (wether they notice it or not).

Hey, just the way the world works. If Judges were nominated by the people, then the people's political/religious views would influence who gets in. If Judges were nominated by the government/politicans, then its the politicians views that influence their nomination. Nothing will change that.

We can only hope that they use their job and skills to make decisions based on the laws, not their own views.

Me, I didn't know who he was before this, and really don't care since my vote doesn't count anyway. If I didn't like him, really nothing I could do about it anyway since its not a elected position.

eolsunder is offline                         Send a private message to eolsunder
Old 08-09-2005, 04:18 AM   #19
allyfaucet
Abandonia nerd

I think you're right, there is no perfect judge.

Some have said that judges should be athiest and/or independent, but if they all were, even those things would shape their opinions. I guess this is why we have 9 of them. Also, the president would have a hard time appointing a hardcore liberal or hardcore conservative judge. They can't be too far in either direction or Congress would whip them out of there so fast it would make their head spin.

However, there are times on some cases and issues that are brought to the Supreme Court where sometimes a justice is advised to sit out of the case because their feelings on the issue have already been made public.
allyfaucet is offline                         Send a private message to allyfaucet
Old 08-09-2005, 09:39 PM   #20
punch999
The true Shadow President

But the thing is bush nominated him for his religious views so he could help stop abortion and stem cell researched deemed un right because the bible treasures all life and crap
punch999 is offline                         Send a private message to punch999