Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 11-07-2005, 06:10 PM   #51
The Unknown

Is there a way to get this jewel downloaded?
Old 11-07-2005, 06:11 PM   #52
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by The Unknown@Jul 11 2005, 06:10 PM
Is there a way to get this jewel downloaded?
I'm afraid there isn't. It's ESA-protected, you see.
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 12-07-2005, 09:46 PM   #53
Dark_Gamer

I am lost I need help please how do you you run it in dos-box :help:
And yes there is a way to download
I need step by step, help, I dont Know how to use dos_box.
Dark_Gamer is offline                         Send a private message to Dark_Gamer
Old 12-07-2005, 09:56 PM   #54
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by Dark_Gamer@Jul 12 2005, 09:46 PM
I am lost I need help please how do you you run it in dos-box :help:
And yes there is a way to download
I need step by step, help, I dont Know how to use dos_box.
Have you read Anubis' excellent DOSBox Tutorial? I found it very helpful.
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 16-07-2005, 11:46 AM   #55
rumor

Hello everyone!

Look, I ended up joining Abandonia looking for Syndicate Wars, but not the game itself (which I own and for which I have brought back to live an old AMD K6-2 with a custom DrDOS). For the ones looking for a download, you can still buy it (doh!), and there's a bunch of places you'll find it as abandonware. Search better and you'll find it.

But I don't seem to be able to find what I want: the info. I've read several times this game is "ESA-protected", but what does that mean? Who owns its source code? Could we get a copy of its source code, sample art, etc? What is its legal status? Who can we ask about this matters?

Most of us believe it's a great game, even more than just "GREAT". So, why not remaking it?
If 'Wing Commander: Privateer' has been remaked, open source, for XP, Mac and Linux, some of us out here can remake 'Syndicate Wars', and even make it better than the original.

I'm a game programmer and right now I'm coding for myself and looking for a job too; I'm serious about remaking Syndicate Wars.

Drop me a line on any info, ideas...
rumor is offline                         Send a private message to rumor
Old 20-07-2005, 02:01 PM   #56
Phil Jeary

A new updated version of Syndicate would be great - who can we harrass to make it?

I borrowed a mates Amiga to play the original, and shortly after buying my own PC Syndicate Wars come out - i'm sure I remember playing it over the network or in some form of multiplayer too. Syndicate Wars

I think its time I revived the beast and got it working again. I have been trying to get Dungeon Keeper 2, Birth of the Federation and Terminator: Skynet working with XP so i'll just add it to the list - no luck so far but having just checked out the DosBox tutorial mentioned above i'm up for having another attempt.

If I do get it working, bring on the Cataclysm!

Old 21-07-2005, 09:47 AM   #57
rumor

@ Phil Jeary et al:
Quote:
A new updated version of Syndicate would be great - who can we harrass to make it?
I do agree, it would be great. BUT...
I've been looking for Syndicate and Syndicate Wars source code, legal ownership of its copyright, etc, and found nothing. There's no Bullfrog anymore, so that's a dead end.

So, I'm thinking about programming a new version or a remake of Syndicate / Wars, full 3D and including shortcut keys to make the camera aim to the four "iso-views"...

I can handle such a project, but I would need some help; should I do it all by myself, it would take me a year or so...

Again: Would anyone team up with me to make it?

If no-one would like to play such a game, I could do it by myself and for myself, not giving it away, programming and modelling in my spare time.

I still hope someone will drop me a line to tell me "count me in".
Old 21-07-2005, 10:15 AM   #58
Jimbo the Legend

That would be awesome. couldnt help you out with the programming, but if u needed a play tester then count me in
Jimbo the Legend is offline                         Send a private message to Jimbo the Legend
Old 21-07-2005, 10:34 AM   #59
rumor

Come on! It's not just programming: Modelling, animating, making music & sound FX...

For instance, I hate Photoshop; I use The Gimp and PhotoSuite 8.06 (the "not-so-bad" one). Making textures will take me more time than programming a basic camera system. And to speed things up, if no other programmer shows up, I'll be using RAD (Rapid Application Development) tools.

For anyone out there who wonders how serious I am about this: I've contacted Gas Powered Games to ask for permission to use their Dungeon Siege Engine. What I missed the most in Syndicate was REALLY going into the buildings, using elevators, etc.

Is there REALLY no-one willing to team up?

@ Jimbo the Legend: No matter how long it takes, I'm counting you in for BetaT. Thanks.

"Freedom doesn't just give you the right to do things,
it also gives you the ·chance· to do things!"
Old 21-07-2005, 10:38 AM   #60
Jimbo the Legend

well ir eally havent got a clue when it comes to programmin artwork animations anythin like that to do with games. would be willing to try and learn if you could point me in a direction to get started on some of the basics

J
Jimbo the Legend is offline                         Send a private message to Jimbo the Legend