Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 20-05-2005, 07:33 AM   #1291
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

Cheers! You're right about the etherial stuff - another way to get them is to get mind probes + excess stun weapons (just in case) and fly off to the FIRST terror site. It will most likely be nothing dangerous, especially if only Floaters are involved. Just capture literally EVERY alien at the site of any importance (one soldier with a mind probe in your skyranger WILL be able to 'read' anything in the whole map) or just fire stun launchers and throw smoke grenades/use stun rods all over the map just to make sure.

I think that the 'reproduction' is used in that VERY nasty corrosive venow, not in the Battlescape.

*edit* Get loads of medics, navigators and engineers. Then you are given something handy no matter what.
PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks
Old 20-05-2005, 09:03 AM   #1292
Duarte Sanchez

I have a question about Scientists?

Does there rate of research increase exponentially with the number of scientists?? ie. would 100 scientists complete 2 projects faster than if 50 scientists each worked on 1 different project?

Thanks!
Duarte Sanchez is offline                         Send a private message to Duarte Sanchez
Old 20-05-2005, 11:54 PM   #1293
Malice Mizer

Does anyone happen to know why Xcom seems to run rather quickly? Even on 5seconds it's all very quick, much faster than on the original version, anyone tell mr how to slow it all down?
Malice Mizer is offline                         Send a private message to Malice Mizer
Old 21-05-2005, 12:21 AM   #1294
axident
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by Duarte Sanchez@May 20 2005, 09:03 AM
I have a question about Scientists?

Does there rate of research increase exponentially with the number of scientists?? ie. would 100 scientists complete 2 projects faster than if 50 scientists each worked on 1 different project?

Thanks!
nope, it's linear
axident is offline                         Send a private message to axident
Old 21-05-2005, 02:02 AM   #1295

each project has a set number of man-hours to complete (how many, i have no idea) so if a project takes 1200 man hours, it takes 10 scientists 120 days, 20 scientists 60 days, 40 scientists 30 days, 80 scientists 15 days, etc.

Old 21-05-2005, 03:35 AM   #1296
Aramazon

Hello, I lately started playing and its a great game. Cept i got one problem, all i ever get are floaters, so i cant get the psy abilities. Do i just have to wait or is there something i can do to get a greater variety of species?

Old 21-05-2005, 10:25 AM   #1297
Spookyfish
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by Aramazon@May 21 2005, 03:35 AM
Hello, I lately started playing and its a great game. Cept i got one problem, all i ever get are floaters, so i cant get the psy abilities. Do i just have to wait or is there something i can do to get a greater variety of species?
Nope. It's just some strange twist of faith. Soon those other crazies will pop up and start mindblasting your troops. But you should be happy. Floaters are relatively easy once you get lasers, so your troops will get the experience they need to take out etherals without dying five times first .
Spookyfish is offline                         Send a private message to Spookyfish
Old 22-05-2005, 11:51 AM   #1298
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

Yeah, once on my first terror site I went to, not only was it at night, which was bad because I forgot to pack my Flares, but also I was up against Etherials. And Crysallids.

I cannot describe in words how hard it is to fight them with a Rookie-level crew with a Captain and 2 Sergeants, at night, with nothing better than Rifles (I had totally forgotten about Lasers in my rush to get Plasma Cannons).

Needless to say, I got hammered, in total taking out one alien with 12 soldiers before the lone survivor ran back into the Skyranger and took off.

Still, those aliens b@stards didn't get my ship!
PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks
Old 22-05-2005, 07:15 PM   #1299
Fama

Quote:
Originally posted by PrejudiceSucks@May 22 2005, 11:51 AM
Yeah, once on my first terror site I went to, not only was it at night, which was bad because I forgot to pack my Flares, but also I was up against Etherials. And Crysallids.
Surely that must be wrond, since chrysalids come with snakemen and not ethereals, or I'm terribly wrond AND I will start having bad nightmares...
Fama is offline                         Send a private message to Fama
Old 23-05-2005, 12:48 AM   #1300
Malice Mizer

Are you people certain that XCOM is abandonware? I know you're all rather scrupulous in your checks but after a few discussions on some forums, regarding the games I've been informend by quite a few people that the current owners of the license (Atari if I remember correctly) are very, very bitchy about anything to do with it. They won't sell the license (one person i spoke to compared it to a 'Get Out of Jail Free' card from Monopoly, rarely used but seems to be traded around a lot as padding for other deals) and have been known to be very hostile towards fan projects like remakes and the like.

Anyway, i just though i'd let you know, unless you've spoken to them, in which case I can go back and sneer at everyone who told me i'm breaking the law... and then refuse to give them the links mwahahaha
Malice Mizer is offline                         Send a private message to Malice Mizer