Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24-03-2005, 08:56 AM   #11
another_guest
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by MahwahDenizen@Mar 24 2005, 03:40 AM
I have a question about dueling.* I have a * class sword and * class armor.* But I still cannot seem to get the hang of dueling.* Does anyone have a good strategy for dueling?
First of all, it depends on your character. Some are good at swordplay, others will take quite some time to improve. Not much to be done about that, except to "train" against weaker captains, like those of trade convoys, etc.

Secondly, some weapons have a preferred way of attacking (for example: Shiva's sword deals a lot more damage used in 1 particular way, though I don't know which one from the top of my head).

My usual way of attacking (of course this should be changed when using a weapon that's no good for striking!):
1) strike
2) parry (in most cases this will block your opponent's attack)
3) strike
4) Usually I'll dodge here. I've got the impression their striking always deals most damage, so it's not that bad risking a different attack getting through, rather than taking your chances at receiving a strike
5) Sometimes a third strike will work, but this seems to be mostly when your opponent wounded you in step 4. If he didn't, I'd opt for a different attack, as I've noticed they'll usually dodge in this step. Maybe a built-in rule to expect a third identical attack after you've attacked twice in a row using the same attacking method?

Then I'd start the same cycle all over again.
There's a New Horizons FAQ at several websites, where you'll find a list of some of the special weapons' preferred attacking modus. If you don't find it immediately, I'll see if I've still got it somewhere.

Oh, and if you try this method, please let me know if it works for you or not