Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 06-03-2008, 07:26 PM   #751
Grimreaper

Great game. Even though I played Eye of the Beholder a lot over ten years ago I never got hold of Lands of Lore. I'm happy it didn't disappoint.

One question though. I have trouble training up the mage skill (not that there is any problem finishing the game anyway). My character gets to level 4 easily after using the wand of fireballs, but then it gets very hard. I threw fireballs on great orcs for 2 hours and only gained one level on my main character. Does anyone have any hints?

The rogue skill is a bit tough as well. I got them all to level 5 by shooting arrows and throwing things for a while, but after that my atempts to gain experience seemed futile. Is there an easier alternative?
Grimreaper is offline                         Send a private message to Grimreaper
Old 10-03-2008, 01:17 PM   #752
Scatty
Treasure hunter

For the rogue skill, shooting with the crossbow "Valkyrie" helps, but after level 5 it can take quite some time. I also think that the stronger the monster / enemy that you hit, and the more damage you cause with a hit, the more experience you get.

As with magic, after level 4 you might want to find a next, stronger spell than fireball, using which will increase the experience you get after hitting someone with it. Also, the higher strength of a spell you cast (from 1 to 4), the more experience you'll get after you hit something. Spell strength 1 doesn't give much, while you can earn good experience even with the basic spark on strength 4 (if you cause good damage, see below).
The experience earned is also affected by how much damage you cause with the right spell. The more damage, the more experience. Some enemies are more resistant against certain spells while vulnerable against others, you'll have to experiment there. For great orcs you might want to try Lightning or Freeze instead of Fireball, though, I think they aren't very affected by fireballs. They're very vulnerable against Mist of Doom.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 11-03-2008, 09:09 PM   #753
Grimreaper

No short-cuts, just hard work. Allright then. I guess I'll take your advice and experiment with spells, trying to figure out the most efficient combination.

And yes, the crossbow Valkyrie is wonderful indeed, hits every time which is useful throughout the entire game.
Grimreaper is offline                         Send a private message to Grimreaper
Old 12-03-2008, 12:22 PM   #754
abigor
Lurker

Exclamation

hey guys I'm kinda new here, awesome game, one of the best RPG's

but i have a problem, the game asks for a certain word from the manual...and i don't have it, the only one i saw was the doc file, but it's not working

please help....
abigor is offline                         Send a private message to abigor
Old 12-03-2008, 12:39 PM   #755
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

i know it can be difficult but try reading through this topic.

edit: page 71
Old 14-03-2008, 07:33 PM   #756
Sabreman

I've finally taken the plunge and decided to dedicate myself to some of these old games I've dabbled in before, and being a huge fan of Dungeon Master I decided to start with Lands of Lore.

Well, it's rather excellent, isn't it? Very tough though! I haven't been so challenged by a game like this for a long time. Just the constant pressure from monsters... gives me some of the great tension I used to get playing DM back in the day. low on health, out of food and water, stuck in some dangerous part of the game. Poison is a major pain!

I'm only a short way in. Currently battling my way through the first proper dungeon. Getting spun around, chased down dead ends and generally playing in a constant state of panic.

It's super :amused:
Sabreman is offline                         Send a private message to Sabreman
Old 18-03-2008, 11:11 AM   #757
pawliss

Default Help

My trouble is that i get black screen and the game freezes even before i get started. I chose charadter and when the king tells me to meet him in the palace this is where the game freezes. Anyone knows what to do? ...anyone
pawliss is offline                         Send a private message to pawliss
Old 18-03-2008, 01:07 PM   #758
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

run setup, play with sound settings (and use dosbox)
Old 21-03-2008, 08:51 AM   #759
pawliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. View Post
run setup, play with sound settings (and use dosbox)
Ahoj,
didn't help
I ran setup in dosbox, chose Soudblaster Pro and in Dosbox started the game. The only change there was that I could see a flash of the next screen (guards B4 the castle, I guess).
What did I do wrong?
pawliss is offline                         Send a private message to pawliss
Old 21-03-2008, 11:10 PM   #760
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Download the CD version (with full speech) from here, and see if that helps eventually.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty