Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 07-09-2005, 12:14 PM   #1
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

Thinking of getting a DS soon (next couple of months) to help me with some long hours that I will be at work (not while working of course). The GAME store has one DS with a second hand game of your choice for 97 GBP, or with a new one for 119. I tried it for the first time yesterday and it is bigger than I expected it to be. I played a couple of minutes of a racing game Asphalt urban gt, and I liked it. Though if I get the DS I would play more strategy games (Advance wars DS and Age of empires II come to mind) and perhaps sports. Though I am not aware of any basketball or football/soccer games for it.
For those that have the DS, is it worth it? How is the battery life? The games?

The PSP sure looks better in some ways but due to the higher price, not sufficient word about strategy games for it, and that it just feels very fragile to me (personal opinion), is not my first choice.

Comments?
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 08-09-2005, 04:30 PM   #2
ShadowXIX
Abandonia nerd

Id say wait on buying a DS, as word has it Nintendo is already working on a replacement for it. DS was never designed to compete with PSP in power. The PSP is quite obviously leaps and bounds more powerful than the Nintendo DS as far as displaying 3D graphics.
ShadowXIX is offline                         Send a private message to ShadowXIX
Old 08-09-2005, 07:41 PM   #3
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

DS.
You're looking for games right?
If you want games go for DS, everyone thought the touch screen was a gimmick, but it's fantastic.

Turns out all PSP's crap is a gimmick, I bought it and said "WHY DOES THE BATTERY RUN OUT EVERY 4 HOURS!?".
If you're poor, the PSP will continue to eat up your money after you buy it, as games and DVDs are expensive and the batteries will be chewed up and spit out like no tommorow. Not only that, but it has dead pixels at times, which can become severly annoying. I actually only know a few games on the system that're worth your time.

If you're VERY certain about the PSP's future, you might want to take a chance and go for it.
Otherwise the DS will keep you nice and busy, the price is low, the system is awesome, and the games are cheap and the selection is great.
I like my PSP, but it doesn't compare to the DS in many ways, except if you're looking for graphics, the PSP is very pretty.

Sadly, I think the PSP will probably start declining even more, as it's lagging way behind the DS in terms of sales. (It's only sold about 1/3 of what the DS has.)
So be safe, get the DS.

(And buy Nintendogs or Kirby: Canvas Curse for the game)

EDIT: About the strategy games. Blizzard is thinking about bringing Starcraft and Diablo to the DS, so you might to be informed of that. And do NOT pass up Advanced Wars, it's amazing.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 09-09-2005, 12:15 AM   #4
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I got GBA, and will not upgrade to DS till GBA is working fine.

It is simple to say that I love this small gaming machine. I play a lot of home-made software (there is release of Another World for GBA) and a lot of old NES, SMS and GG games.

As for original games, DS can play GBA games, so you can play Advance Wars 1 & 2, FF1 & 2, FFT, Ogre Battle etc.
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 09-09-2005, 02:13 AM   #5
ShadowXIX
Abandonia nerd

Man when did the release of Another World for GBA come out?

Thats awesome maybe Ill buy one of the new super tiny GBAs whenever they come out just for that game in a portable.
ShadowXIX is offline                         Send a private message to ShadowXIX
Old 09-09-2005, 11:53 AM   #6
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by ShadowXIX@Sep 8 2005, 04:30 PM
Id say wait on buying a DS, as word has it Nintendo is already working on a replacement for it. DS was never designed to compete with PSP in power. The PSP is quite obviously leaps and bounds more powerful than the Nintendo DS as far as displaying 3D graphics.
I do not doubt that the PSP is more powerful. Thing is, so what? The game is in the game, not the theoretical capabilities of a system. Archimedes anyone? (not the human, the computer)

About what you said for a new gameboy system. Is that a guess or is it based on anything more? Time frame? If you are talking about 2 years from now, nevermind. :-)

efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 09-09-2005, 11:55 AM   #7
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

Does advance wars have any skirmish or random campaign option or is it set linear missions?

I wonder if there is a version of the classic Empire for the GBA/DS.

BTW, thanks everyone for helping me here.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:13 PM   #8
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by ShadowXIX@Sep 8 2005, 09:13 PM
Man when did the release of Another World for GBA come out?

Thats awesome maybe Ill buy one of the new super tiny GBAs whenever they come out just for that game in a portable.
GBA version of Another World is available for free from this site: http://www.foxysofts.com.

Distribution rights are acquired from original game creator Eric Chahi.

You have to have flash cart to be able to play it on GBA, or an emulator to play it on your computer. (I like the fact that this time it saves your progress trough the game)

As for Advance Wars for GBA, you have different game options, including Campaign, Maps which you can play versus AI or versus friends. But at beginning you don’t get all maps, you have to win battlers, collect coins and then buy them. And one thing with campaign: it is hard to get over 950 points from each of them, but is possible. Very challenging game.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:17 PM   #9
ShadowXIX
Abandonia nerd

efthimios is being called Game Boy Evolution theres some info on it google it. It won’t be out until 2006

Anubis is that a french versio of Another World? I notice you can even get the game for a bunch of the models of Nokia phones I think thats would be so sweet.

I hope they have a English version
Old 09-09-2005, 06:56 PM   #10
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

It's French/English version of the game. At first screen you have to select the language.