Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 26-04-2008, 01:26 PM   #1
Jake Grey
Forum hobbit

Default DOS Box Restoration

If someone were to offer reconditioned DOS and 98SE machines for sale on Craigslist, mostly Pentium Is and IIs with maybe the odd 486 if there are any working examples in existence, would you lot consider buying one and how much would you be willing to pay?
Jake Grey is offline                         Send a private message to Jake Grey
Old 26-04-2008, 02:03 PM   #2
dosraider
Dismembered.

PI: between 5€-10€
PII: between 10€-25€
486: between 1€-5€ -(or even free to get rid of them)-.
Of course in good working order, included monitor, keyboard and mouse.
As listed on kapaza.be
What the situation is in GB, don't know and don't care.

That's what they are worth here in Belgium.

The prices for sec hand PC begin to rise above 50€ for PIII minimal.
A good working complete PIII with enough RAM (+512) that's able to run XP goes approx 100€-200€ here.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 26-04-2008, 08:13 PM   #3
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Perhaps you could explain what do you mean by "reconditioned"?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 27-04-2008, 05:12 AM   #4
Kugerfang
_r.u.s.s. changed it :'(

Why would I buy one if there's already DOSbox?

-Terry Pratchett
Kugerfang is offline                         Send a private message to Kugerfang
Old 27-04-2008, 06:16 AM   #5
dosraider
Dismembered.

Why not?
Did you ever used a 8008-ZILOG Z80-8086-286-386-486-PI-PII-whatever? Apparently not.
I even wonder if you ever saw one.

And FYI: a PI is still capable enough to use as internet PC.
Even a 286 can be used on internet.
Never heard of Arachne, just to name one? Hmmmm,no ,probably not.
:laugh:

FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 27-04-2008, 02:25 PM   #6
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Why would I buy one if there's already DOSbox?
For you there is no point. But older gamers might want to set up one just for the sake of its sentimental value - or perhaps because DOSBox just can't beat the real thing in their minds.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 27-04-2008, 02:33 PM   #7
Jake Grey
Forum hobbit

Dosraider: Thanks for the info. Do I take it that that excludes shipping costs in most cases? No promises about peripherals, I'm afraid; the ones that work will most likely be sold separately. Everything will however come with a warranty of some description, the details of which are not yet finalised.
Fifth Horseman (May I call you Reggie? :amused: By 'reconditioned', I mean that they will be put into as close to as-new condition as possible, with any worn or defective components replaced. There'll probably be a few 'new' machines assembled from several non-functional ones, as well.
Krugerfang: Because even the best emulator is no substitute for the original hardware, even if you can afford a machine powerful enough to run one without difficulty.
Jake Grey is offline                         Send a private message to Jake Grey
Old 27-04-2008, 02:48 PM   #8
dosraider
Dismembered.

Prices on Kapaza.be are always 'cash and carry', if the buyer wants home delivery the extra costs are fully for the buyer.
Not a big problem in a small country as Belgium .....:laugh:

@Kugerfang: lots of people still use old dos based DB programs, and other similar programs, dosbox works great for gaming, but 80% of those old dosprogs won't run in it.-(try to get a label print prog to work in dosbox with an antique daisy wheel printer .......)-
Another reason? Why would I fire up my XP or Vista when I have some 10 minutes to lose and on top of that dosbox when I can boot a dos 486/PI in 4 seconds?
Not enough? Some games only will accept a joystick through a real hardware game port, the joystick simply won't work on an emulated one.
And of course, my grandkids love those ol'PCs.
Etcetera etcetera etcetera ............

But rest assured, for most of the dosgames I also prefer dosbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Grey View Post
No promises about peripherals, I'm afraid; the ones that work will most likely be sold separately.
That could be a problem, I may suppose you know that most modern keyboards/mouses/.... won't work directly with those ol'PCs-(DIN plugs!)-? So if you sell them separate it means extra cost for the buyer.

FOR RENT
*Advertising space*

Last edited by dosraider; 27-04-2008 at 02:59 PM.
Old 27-04-2008, 06:17 PM   #9
Jake Grey
Forum hobbit

I can see the problem, but unfortunately there may not necessarily be enough working peripherals to include one of each with every base unit. Keyboards and mice can certainly be shipped free with a base unit, of course.
Old 27-04-2008, 07:15 PM   #10
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
That could be a problem, I may suppose you know that most modern keyboards/mouses/.... won't work directly with those ol'PCs-(DIN plugs!)-? So if you sell them separate it means extra cost for the buyer.
Yeah, but I dread to go back to a wheel mouse! I mean, those things started acting up on you in a month or so and you had to clean them all the time and stuff - and still they were hard to use for precision clicking.

The keyboards are less of a problem, but still...
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos