Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 07-08-2006, 05:39 PM   #1
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

I have a weird problem. I'm using Firefox or rather, I would LIKE to keep on using FF, if it wasn't for the darn fact that everytime I try to enter Abandonia, Youtube and shedloads of other sites, FF crashes. In the lower left it says something like "connected to DoubleClick" or "googlesyndicate.com". Then it freezes on me. Now I have to use MsE, booooo!

In addition, in the past week, MSN tends to crash after a few seconds after log-on. At first that was courtesy of MsE, or so I thought. Now the wretched thing won't work at all.

Did SpyBot S&D, Ad-Aware and Norman. All lights are go there.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems lately?
Old 07-08-2006, 05:46 PM   #2
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Are you using some kind of RSS extension for FF by any chance? Or any others for that matter? Try shutting them down and see what happens.

Edit: and to answer your question. I haven't run into any of these things lately (but I've been gone for the last three weeks) .
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 07-08-2006, 05:48 PM   #3
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Sorry, but I simply have no idea. What is it, how would I know if I got it and do I want it at all to begin with?

EDIT: FF working, or so it seems. Now I was able to google a bit. It seems that there were some google ad related issues some time back, involving googlesyndicate.com. Since DoubleClick is an ad thingy too, I guess it also is related one way or another. Since the tech talk is way beyond me, the original problem is to be considered unsolved.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:09 PM   #4
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

If you go to the Tools menu, you see an item called Extensions there. Click it to get a list of installed extensions (if you don't know about them, you probably don't have them, but still).
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 07-08-2006, 06:15 PM   #5
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

No ext whatsoever.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:05 PM   #6
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

The thing in the bottom left corner is the loading bar, it tells you what the browser's doing. For instance, right now mine says "Waiting for www.reloaded.org..."(although I'm not sure what exactly it's waiting for, but still). It's useful to see if a particular component (especially external adverts) of a page is holding things up.

I doubt that it has anything to do with your problem, though - did you try reinstalling the latest version of FF? There was a bugfix patch a couple of days back too IIRC. If you don't have the automatic updates on, you probably should - saves a lot of hassle.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 07-08-2006, 08:12 PM   #7
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

It was updated very recently, yesterday or the day before. I'm aware that the line in the lower right is what the browser is doing or about to do. That's why I reasoned it had to do with Googlesyndicate in some way.

But are there any ext. that I should have, by recommedation?

Also, I read that there are ways to block IPs (say, DoubleClick for instance) without using a firewall, which can be a bit sloppy sometimes. Should I block DoubleClick? I spend a lot of time removing cookies from them anyway.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:39 PM   #8
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mighty Midget @ Aug 7 2006, 09:12 PM) [snapback]247265[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
It was updated very recently, yesterday or the day before. I'm aware that the line in the lower right is what the browser is doing or about to do. That's why I reasoned it had to do with Googlesyndicate in some way.

But are there any ext. that I should have, by recommedation?

Also, I read that there are ways to block IPs (say, DoubleClick for instance) without using a firewall, which can be a bit sloppy sometimes. Should I block DoubleClick? I spend a lot of time removing cookies from them anyway.
[/b]
I'd recommend the Pop-up Blocker (although the built-in one is pretty damn good already), FlashGot if you want to use a dl manager or the wonderful Download Statusbar if you don't, and FoxyTunes to control your media player - don't know how I got along without that one for so long. There's a thread about extensions around here somewhere...
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 08-08-2006, 04:48 PM   #9
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

I think that DoubleClick and googlesyndicate.com try to open a pop-up or write a cookie and your browser doesn't permit them to make it, sometimes it occourred to me with other sites...
But I use Mozilla and a firewall, and they stop pop-up and coockies without freezing.

Maybe you should just install the latest version of the browser