Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17-02-2007, 02:21 PM   #1
Looking Glass

Well let me first say I am not new to Abandonia, although it has been a really long while since I last posted something on the forums. It's actually been so long that I have forgotten my old login name, not to mention the password, so this is a new account for me.

What I am about to write is something I have been wondering about for a long time now, but never really got around to posting, but somehow the question needed to be asked.

I noticed a similar thread about new games and/or getting older and mine is going to share a few similarities , but felt that my topic is different enough to warrant a new topic.

Okay, where to start?

Well from the beginning I guess...

I grew up playing Adventure games and RPG games predominantly. I was never really that big into RTS or FPS, but I did play a few of the more well known and higher rated games from those genres. The thing, I think for me, the reason I actually choose gaming to be my main hobby was because of the great stories and characters in Adventure and RPG games. It was better than watching tv, it was better than reading a book, it was an experience, a magical event.

I still have fond memories of Manny and Glottis from Grim Fandango, George Stobbart from Broken Sword, Morte from Planescape Torment, April from The Longest Journey, Guybrush from Monkey Island and Minsk from Baldur's Gate. Heck, these are just a few of my favorite characters from a few games I considered and still do, to be more than games. I could carry on mentioning others such as Fallout, Zork, Arcanum, all of which were very special games for me.

I am sure I'm not the only one with fond memories of past gaming experiences, but as of late, I cannot remember the last game of recent times, that has left me with one of those special feelings, a great memory.

Maybe it is cause I am getting older and have other responsibilities now ... perhaps its the quality of games that are being released, I don't really know anymore, but I do know that desire and excitement to play a game is no longer as strong as it used to be, nor is the memory afterwards upon finishing a game.

I really can't remember the last game that made me say WOW, what a game, what a story. The only game that I can think of for me, that deserves a mention is The Chronicles of Riddick. I really enjoyed that one, only played it a year ago.

I still enjoy gaming, but I find I use gaming more nowdays as a way to kill a bit of time, or as something else to do for a few minutes or maybe even a couple of hours here and there to take a break from boredom that creeps into routine activities. It seems that I would rather spend my free time reading from the internet, than playing a game. Heck even of late, tv seems more appealing.

Then there is this other problem, I actually still have some games that I purchased within the last year, most of which are from the bargin bin, but they are the must haves from a few years back. Games like KOTOR1 & 2, Thief 3, Farcry, Neverwinter Nights and a few others that don't come to mind right now, but for some reason I just don't have the energy or desire to actually get the CD's out install the games and play them. It's actually quite strange, I really wanted these games and I remember how fast I snapped them up when I saw them in the bargin bin, but now they kinda just sit there doing nothing, while I lament about memories of old.

Most of my gaming time is now actually spent playing Counter Strike: Source. It's a kinda weird addiction I have with it. I started playing CS way back when, and even though the games looks better now, its still more of the same and one would think you would get bored of it after all these years, but for some reason I will rather load up CS and play and hour, nevermind that it is the exact same boring game that I have played years ago, than play an hour of one of the games I have not played before. I don't really know why I do this.
I actually want to play a new game, but I think its the fact that it is a new game, that also puts me off. I can only think that it must be because, it's something new I am going to have to adapt to, it's a new learning curve and maybe a fear that if I do play it, it is not going to live up to my expectations.

I have seen and read quite a bit about many of the games of late. More "fast-food" like in nature. They are more action orientated, prettier to look at, yet shallow and more of a been-there-done-that feeling associated with them and with all the sequels being pushed out, could be a reason why I am feeling how I am.

I want that excitement back, but I think perhaps I am just getting older now and/or losing my love for gaming. I just don't see the games anymore that were my reasons for taking up gaming in the first place. ,Dreamfall doesn't feel like The Longest Journey, Broken Sword 4 while I thought it was a good game especially since it is one of the last few adventures left, felt a bit empty, sad in a way, just like I am feeling nowdays for gaming. It's like I have left all my friends behind and they are nothing but memories.

Maybe it's because my favourite genre, Adventures, are all but dead, maybe its me. Maybe its time to put the "toys" behind me and move on, but that memory of love I had for gaming still reminds me of how great games can be, but as of late, it seems like I am just lost in the woods and looking for a direction in my gaming world so to speak.

Any of you guys feel the same way?

P.S. I feel the same with regards to movies, I would rather go watch something old that I have seen than see a lot of the new films.
Looking Glass is offline                         Send a private message to Looking Glass