Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 23-04-2011, 10:06 PM   #1
whateverr
Default D-fend + buck rogers = really pissed off

I don't know anything about "emualting DOS". The dude who runs this site said he uses D-fend, si I figured I'd use defend.

There is no explanation anywhere for d-fend. I can't find any information about using it at all. The stupid youtube tutorials are worthless trash cause they also don't explaina anything, only showing the various games they chose to play with it.

I read through the help here and everyone is talking about "mounting" and all sorts of other stuff that isn't shown at all in d-fend, so all this help is equally useless.

All I want to do is play a freaking old game and it's like having to spend weeks puzzling voer cryptic reponses retro gaming web sites.

There was no information for pathways or directories when I downloaded this game from this site. It's not explained AT ALL where the game is SUPPOED to be saved. No directory, no pathways.

I load the game up just fine but I cant save anything because the moment I try to, I get a "unexpected error when saving 3". Whatever the hell that means. I've seen people with this problem in the past but they weren't using D-fend and I don't understand what they are talking about. I can't find any quality info whatsoever on using d-fend for gaming whatsoever. Everything i come accross is either way too complicated with lingo I don't understand or way too simplistic.

Old 24-04-2011, 12:47 AM   #2
Maxor127
Game Wizzard

You should use D-Fend Reloaded if you're not. It's all pretty self-explanatory. You should make a folder for your DOS games in C:. And then create a profile for each game you want to load. There's a section for Drives when creating or editing a profile. You just select the folder that the game's executables are in. The problem with saving might be with a config file, where it's looking for the save folder in a different location than you have it. You should be able to edit that with a text editor.
Maxor127 is offline                         Send a private message to Maxor127
Old 24-04-2011, 09:19 AM   #3
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I'm not the kind of people who believe that it is better to simply tell someone what to do. I prefer to teach people how to use what they can use instead. "Give fish to someone, he will eat for a day. Teach him to fish, he will eat for his lifetime."

There is plenty of tutorials on this site and everywhere. The helpfile of DOSBox is also very straightforward for anybody who care to invest half an hour reading it. If you still want me to teach you how DOSBox works then I'll be happy to... Otherwise, judging from the tone of your post... I would not be inclined to help you further.
Old 24-04-2011, 11:37 AM   #4
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

If I were you, I'd check if the game files (or the directory it's in) aren't set to "read only".
Quote:
I don't know anything about "emualting DOS". The dude who runs this site said he uses D-fend, si I figured I'd use defend.
There is no explanation anywhere for d-fend. I can't find any information about using it at all. The stupid youtube tutorials are worthless trash cause they also don't explaina anything, only showing the various games they chose to play with it.
D-Fend is an obsolete and horribly bugged frontend. It's no longer supported or updated and so pretty much useless.
Quote:
All I want to do is play a freaking old game and it's like having to spend weeks puzzling voer cryptic reponses retro gaming web sites.
Try dragging and dropping the game executable over DOSBox icon. Sometimes it works.

Or you can try a more recent frontend - like DBGL or D-Fend Reloaded.

Personally, though, I am against frontends for two reasons: they don't do anything you can't do yourself, and if you depend on them you'll be back to square one when the frontend's default config doesn't work on some game or another (or, like the old D-Fend used to, causes the game to glitch or crash)

Other than that, you might want to check the Beginner's Guide to DOSBox. It will take you about an hour to go through and once you're done you should know and have everything you need to run any DOS game in DOSBox. If any part of it confuses you, just ask about the things you don't understand and I'll gladly explain.

Quote:
I read through the help here and everyone is talking about "mounting" and all sorts of other stuff that isn't shown at all in d-fend, so all this help is equally useless.
It's anything but useless. Mounting is a basic procedure used to give DOSBox access to part of your computer's hard drive contents. As I explain in the Beginner's Guide, it can be automated so that DOSBox mounts a specified directory immediately after it starts, so that after setting it up once you never need to do it again.

Quote:
There was no information for pathways or directories when I downloaded this game from this site. It's not explained AT ALL where the game is SUPPOED to be saved. No directory, no pathways.
Assume a subdirectory of whatever you mount as DOSBox C drive.

Quote:
I've seen people with this problem in the past but they weren't using D-fend and I don't understand what they are talking about.
Link please. I should be able to make some sense of it.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards

Last edited by The Fifth Horseman; 24-04-2011 at 12:01 PM.
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 24-04-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
Japo
Autonomous human

I suppose you mean D-Fend Reloaded, the original D-Fend is dead.

I'm afraid the tutorials we have are not for any frontend, but for DOSBox alone. I suppose you took a look before starting a thread. Besides you're not asking very politely.