Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 22-05-2010, 11:06 PM   #1
rachelthedemon

Default Dark Queen of Krynn Installation Problem

At my wits' end, here. I'm trying to install the game in DOSBox, and I've tried literally every workaround offered here. The error I keep getting is "Wrong disk!" when I go to install with a new configuration. So I'll give you my specific setup, what I've tried, and hope that somebody can actually get this thing to work:

Original ZIP file extracted to C:\OLDGAMES\DQK

Contents of folders DISK1, DISK2, and DISK3 are in C:\OLDGAMES\DQK\FLOPPY

I have mounted C:\OLDGAMES\DQK as Drive C in DOSBox, and mounted C:\OLDGAMES\DQK\FLOPPY as Drive A.

My configuration for the game is VGA, Tandy sound, installing the game to C:\, not installing the default party, and saving to the hard disk.

I just want either someone to tell me how to get past that Wrong Disk error, or to upload a dqk.cfg file that works and doesn't use PC Speakers. At this point I don't care which because I've been fighting with this all day. I just want to play the darn game.
rachelthedemon is offline                         Send a private message to rachelthedemon
Old 22-05-2010, 11:16 PM   #2
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

but the game on abandoina is pre-installed, you just type start.bat

and just why did you move the contents of the directories into subdirectory "floppy"? have you been drinking tonight?
Old 23-05-2010, 10:32 AM   #3
dosraider
Dismembered.

First: delete what you have done till now, it's worthless anyway. Start over from scratch.
The game folder in the archive from AB is named DQOK.

***WHY someone thought it was needed to rename the original install dir to DQOK in stead of DQK is a mystery, one of the many here on AB, seems some peeps think they are creative .... and in their creative process they of course screw up things....***

Unzip the whole folder -(with the subfolders)- on your \oldgames\
Now rename DQOK to DQK

Run dosbox, mount your \oldgames\ as C:
do a
cd dqk

Run install now, it will work, you can choose something else then that horrific PC speaker sound, and the config will be correctly saved.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 23-05-2010, 11:48 AM   #4
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

he/she/it doesn't have to rename dqok to dqk i just named the directory to big black dongs and it went fine (of course you have to change this path in the install configuration ..)

edit: on the other hand, he/she/it will most likely screw things if he/she/it doesn't have to write anything

and damn, who picked pc speaker as default. who the hell created that archive. i'm going to repack it with proper settings and DQK instead of DQOK

Last edited by _r.u.s.s.; 23-05-2010 at 11:54 AM.
_r.u.s.s. is offline                         Send a private message to _r.u.s.s.
Old 23-05-2010, 12:50 PM   #5
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. View Post
he/she/it doesn't have to rename dqok to dqk i just named the directory to big black dongs and it went fine (of course you have to change this path in the install configuration ..)
That's the whole point (or in fact: screw up) isn't it?
Someone changed the folder name after install.
Of course the ones who are familiar with the dosprompt find the solution in 5 secs, but if the only thing you grown up with is a cursor and clicking ...... you're screwed.

Quote:
and damn, who picked pc speaker as default. who the hell created that archive. i'm going to repack it with proper settings and DQK instead of DQOK
There are more such games configs on AB ...... Why..? I don't know.
n00bs? Archives taken from other sites without being properly tested/configured? Lack of basic dosbox knowledge?
Who knows.

Quote:
i'm going to repack it with proper settings and DQK instead of DQOK

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*

Last edited by dosraider; 23-05-2010 at 12:56 PM.
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 23-05-2010, 03:01 PM   #6
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

well i think that person who manages to mount a floppy drive in dosbox would find out that he would have to rename the directory according to it's name...