Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 11-11-2005, 12:09 PM   #1
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

We already had "new category" ideas. Well subcategories goes for already existing categories.

Someone asked for new category FPS shooters. This could be very well solved with subcategories. Personally, i would like to search for spaceshooters in action or logical-platforms or just platforms in arcade category.

How this shoul be handled? Well, you know that small arrow besides an option, like in yahoo mail, you have reply with this arrow and when you point mouse cursor on this arow new small many drops down.
So, we could have arrows to the right of the existing categories and when you point cursos on them, new small many will appear.

Example: subcategories in Action would be: Brawl, Fighting, FPS shooting, Shooting, Space-shooting, Others
Or tyopes like Scrolling, 3D action etc, but i like the first many better.

And instead of Others, it couls say "action unsorted", so you can get a list of games that don't belong to neither subcategory.

Offcourse, you can still click on Action category and get the list of all action games.

Besides Action, Arcade and Strategy, not to mention Sports, this subcategories will be also very useful for Unsorted category. There you'll have Pinball, Destructive, Unsorted unsorted...

You get the picture. If some category doesn't require subcategories, than it won't have that small arrow.

I just know this is good idea.
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 11-11-2005, 12:19 PM   #2
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

It is.

And i support it.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 11-11-2005, 09:57 PM   #3
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

After reading this I clicked on the Abandonia banner to the top left and took a good look at the menu. I noticed there is already 12 categories, and if a game doesn't fall in one of them there is a 13th one called "Unsorted"...

Personnaly, I think that adding more categories or even subcategories would only clutter the menu to a point it would become annoying.

Like it is right now, once you find a game you like you can look at the bottom for other similar games. Isn't that similar to what you are proposing?
Old 11-11-2005, 10:34 PM   #4
DeathDude
Caught Somewhere In Time

While being useful for classifying games putting subcategories will just mean a lot more work goes into implementing all of this and somehow I feel it won't be the easiest of tasks and it will just clutter up the menu even more.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/ Upcoming Concerts will be attending 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden!!, 7/27/08: Judas Priest
DeathDude is offline                         Send a private message to DeathDude
Old 11-11-2005, 10:35 PM   #5
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Not exactly. Like I said, someone would probably want to see only FPS or only football games, or real time strategies, or turn-based strategies or maybe action games that don't really fall into any of the classic genres of action games.

Someone already proposed new categories and I bet that there a lot of people who want to try or just see games of certain type.

Adding subcategories wont change existing categories and won't complicate front page. I was talking about sub-menys that will appear only when you point the specific place, like a small arrow i mentioned, or maybe even click on it. That way nothing won't look messy, but people will have much much less trouble finding games of desired type than checking shots of the games and than going through similar games on and on.

Think about it again. It may be useful to lot of people.
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 13-11-2005, 06:16 PM   #6
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

I think this should be considered for the future. After all the site is growing and there are many games yet to come. So some subcategories could be helpful - but also the main categories should be changed (to be more general).

For instance - WWF: Arcade Wrestling is automatically put in the arcade section, but I'd never even think of looking there for this game.

I think the main categories should be broader, with subcategories. Example:
Text based games are all adventures, crypt games are of different categories, arcade games also fall into different categories, board games are generally strategy games...
So there's only be a few main categories (action, strategy, adventure, sports and simulation).
Then the subcategories would follow: adventure - RPG (basically those are adventures as well), Text Based, Cartoonish (like Fable), Realistic (like Blue Force), Futuristic (like Gateway)...

But this would mean some bigger site changes.
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 13-11-2005, 07:09 PM   #7
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

This sort of thing can get very confusing, though. The categories at the Underdogs, for example, make no sense whatsoever to me. There's just far too many of them.
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 13-11-2005, 07:29 PM   #8
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I agree with this idea.
But the problem would be simplifying it as AJ said, if we get sub-categories, we need to have them easily accesible, and perfectly understandable.
Like the Underdogs, we don't want to have a category for nearly everything we can possibly think of.
It would probably work out if you click on a genre, then the categories appear near the "advanced search" toolbar, and then you can sort them into more popular categories, like point and click, or first person.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 13-11-2005, 08:37 PM   #9
Shrek
Abandonia Ogre

well, maybe what I'm going to say doesn't belong to this thread or maybe it even doesn't make any sense, but I think that if a game can fit in more than one categorie/genre, it should be listed in all these categories (for exemple, an arcade game with adventure elements should be presented in both, adventure and arcade genre lists).
Shrek is offline                         Send a private message to Shrek
Old 15-11-2005, 12:32 AM   #10
bruno
Home Sweet Abandonia

i agree with shrek, for ex: ultimate manager soccer it is in simulation(and it it is not bad), but it is a sport game, why ihe dasn´t was place in both categories. All sport managers games are simulation and sport. :whistle:
bruno is offline                         Send a private message to bruno