Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 08-09-2011, 11:46 PM   #1
cas2313

Default Conqueror 1086 scaling issues.

I booted this game up in dosbox, and works fine besides one problem; game cinematics are not scaled correctly. the best example i can give is jousting; its widescreen when its supposed to be fullscreen. any ideas?
cas2313 is offline                         Send a private message to cas2313
Old 09-09-2011, 11:07 AM   #2
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Do you starting game in fullscreen or in window? With fullscreen it could be scaling problems that can be tuned in DOSBox settings, but with window - it can be native game feature...
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre
Old 09-09-2011, 11:50 AM   #3
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

I'm guessing you mean the 320x200 and 640x400 resolutions with their 8:5 aspect rate as opposed to the 320x240 and 640x480 with the 4:3 rate.
This is easily fixed by enabling aspect correction in DOSBox.

Start -> Programs -> DOSBox 0.74 -> Options -> DOSBox 0.74 Options
If your Windows asks what do you want to open the file with, pick Notepad.

Now move down to the section starting with [render] .
Several lines below, you'll find aspect=false . Change it to aspect=true and save the changes.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 09-09-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
Expack2
Game Request Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
I'm guessing you mean the 320x200 and 640x400 resolutions with their 8:5 aspect rate as opposed to the 320x240 and 640x480 with the 4:3 rate.
This is easily fixed by enabling aspect correction in DOSBox.

Start -> Programs -> DOSBox 0.74 -> Options -> DOSBox 0.74 Options
If your Windows asks what do you want to open the file with, pick Notepad.

Now move down to the section starting with [render] .
Several lines below, you'll find aspect=false . Change it to aspect=true and save the changes.
Actually, Fifth, it has nothing to do with that - instead, it's because I used the "double" compression method when converting the Smacker-format video files. What this does is double the scanlines by height; since the preceeding isn't exactly easy-to-understand, I'll quote directly from the official online manual for Smacker compression (ignore the mention of Bink in the quote - although this quote is referring to the modern Smacker format, the old Smacker format still operates under the same principle):
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAD Game Tools
Scaling compression takes a, say, 640x480 video and compresses it at 640x240 - then, at runtime, the Bink player stretches the video window back up to 640x480.
Since Conqueror A.D. isn't expecting this, it plays back the cinematics as though they weren't scale-compressed - thus resulting in the problem cas2313 brought up.

Although I know how to correct the problem while maintaining a relatively small combines filesize, it would require me to re-compress all the Smacker files non-essential to gameplay, and leave alone all the ones which are. Because of a speed-bug in Windows XP and higher, I'd need to have someone use the last standalone version of Smacker Video Tools (this version outputs files usable by DOS games using the Smacker video format) to render the videos under Windows 95 or 98.

Proud Beta Tester for Desura Since October 28, 2010

Last edited by Expack2; 09-09-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Expack2 is offline                         Send a private message to Expack2
Old 10-09-2011, 04:05 AM   #5
cas2313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japo View Post
It has everything to do with troubleshooting (on-site games support), there's no other place for it.
Right. i wish i could help somehow, i have vista. its a shame that its not an easy fix
Old 11-09-2011, 07:09 AM   #6
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expack2 View Post
Although I know how to correct the problem while maintaining a relatively small combines filesize, it would require me to re-compress all the Smacker files non-essential to gameplay, and leave alone all the ones which are. Because of a speed-bug in Windows XP and higher, I'd need to have someone use the last standalone version of Smacker Video Tools (this version outputs files usable by DOS games using the Smacker video format) to render the videos under Windows 95 or 98.
My secondary PC is running 98. Do you have any notes on how to perform this process?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 17-09-2011, 03:34 PM   #7
cas2313

im almost tempted to download the iso thats been uploaded, but then i'd have to sit there for hours and manually download everything :/
Old 17-09-2011, 04:01 PM   #8
zirkoni
Game Wizzzzzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas2313 View Post
then i'd have to sit there for hours and manually download everything :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISO Cellar
To download games from the ISO cellar easily, use jDownloader
Simply paste the provided links into its link grabber, and jDownloader will do the rest for you!
nuff said
zirkoni is offline                         Send a private message to zirkoni
Old 17-09-2011, 04:02 PM   #9
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

Use JDownloader, there is a link at the top of the ISO forum. It will download all the parts for you by itself.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86