Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 11-11-2006, 07:46 PM   #1
Burger Meister
Om Teh Nom Noms

<span style="color:#000000">*** If you have your own domain only!

I will have up more information as the month goes on. I am also accepting ideas/suggestions to better improve the service.

- Burger Meister
Burger Meister is offline                         Send a private message to Burger Meister
Old 11-11-2006, 09:12 PM   #2
troop18546
Home Sweet Abandonia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Burger Meister @ Nov 11 2006, 10:46 PM) [snapback]266447[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
<span style="color:#000000">*** If you have your own domain only!

I will have up more information as the month goes on. I am also accepting ideas/suggestions to better improve the service.

- Burger Meister
[/b]
Sweet. Although I don't want to trouble you so I'm out.
troop18546 is offline                         Send a private message to troop18546
Old 12-11-2006, 03:01 AM   #3
Burger Meister
Om Teh Nom Noms

Don't want to trouble me? I don't understand!
Burger Meister is offline                         Send a private message to Burger Meister
Old 13-11-2006, 02:17 AM   #4
Titan
Gnome

Send a message via ICQ to Titan Send a message via MSN to Titan Send a message via Skype™ to Titan

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Burger Meister @ Nov 11 2006, 09:46 PM) [snapback]266447[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Tested download speeds via 256kbps DSL have been from 150kb/s to 400kb/s.
[/b]
Not to be picky or sound stupid here... but.... 400 kilo bits per second download on a 256 kilo bits per secont connection................................ :blink: :monkey_dance: mg2:

or something.

Also... 10 Giga BYTE storage... with 50 GB transfere.... 50 GB / month?

Imagen someone uploads a full ISO @ 700 MB.

50 + 1024 = 51200 MB
51200 / 700 = 73 downloads.
51,2 KiloByte / sec (400kb/s)
11,8 days and the server is out of bandwith for the month.

Not beeing pesimistic, but realistic.
Old 13-11-2006, 10:39 AM   #5
Puffin
Abandonia Homie

Nice idea!

Will someone monitor what people upload? How can you make sure people only have abandonware-related files on your server?

You should check out www.servage.com, btw really cheap, but good!
Puffin is offline                         Send a private message to Puffin
Old 13-11-2006, 08:53 PM   #6
Burger Meister
Om Teh Nom Noms

Well seems I got enough feedback, alright let me answer some questions...

@Titan:
Quote:
Not to be picky or sound stupid here... but.... 400 kilo bits per second download on a 256 kilo bits per secont connection[/b]
Sorry, I don't understand what you are trying to say, could you please rephrase that?
Quote:
Also... 10 Giga BYTE storage... with 50 GB transfere.... 50 GB / month?[/b]
Ok so I looked at my Cpanel and guess what I found out...
Space: 10,000mb = 10gb
Bandwidth: 500,000mb = 500gb

So 500gb a month is a lot yes? Space, I will have a script of some sort that will delete files that have no been downloaded recently. Please give a suggestion if you feel there is something more rational.
Quote:
Imagen someone uploads a full ISO @ 700 MB[/b]
I am planning on doing file size limitations to 200-400mb per file I think. Using 7-zip on a 700mb file could size it down a fair ammount.

@Moli:
Quote:
Will someone monitor what people upload? How can you make sure people only have abandonware-related files on your server?[/b]
I will be monitoring along with anyone that wishes to help. If someone breaks the rules I ban right away, I will not be leaniant. People know the rules and they should learn how to respect them

Please ask more questions and information! I am ready to answer!

Old 13-11-2006, 11:05 PM   #7
Gargantuan Orangutan
Super Freak

With ISOs, you won't get far with 10GB. I filled up that much space in a month. You should maybe restrict accounts to non-ISO data.

Deleting files after a certain amount of inactivity is annoying. Most file sharing services already do that. If you want to offer something attractive to others, don't do that. Deleting files after 6 months of inactivity would probably be reasonable though.

Gargantuan Orangutan is offline                         Send a private message to Gargantuan Orangutan
Old 14-11-2006, 03:37 AM   #8
Titan
Gnome

Send a message via ICQ to Titan Send a message via MSN to Titan Send a message via Skype™ to Titan

Ah.. well, 500 GiB sounds better.

About the first "question":
You stated that you accived a download speed of 400 kb / s on a 256 kb / s connection.
I just found those figures impossible.

Anyway; If you can write up a nice ToS for the "dump" you should be fine. Just be carefull with hotlinking and leeching as they can bust any transfere limits pretty fast.

k:
Old 14-11-2006, 08:37 PM   #9
Burger Meister
Om Teh Nom Noms

Quote:
You stated that you accived a download speed of 400 kb / s on a 256 kb / s connection.
I just found those figures impossible.
[/b]
I am using Firefox with extensions FasterFox and DownThemAll! I'm serious about the 400kb/s

The connection is called a 256kbps DSL, but it can go faster. Trust me on that. Unless my ISP lies to me and says my connection is a 512kbps which would make no sense because most sites I get 100kb/s - 125kb/s.

Quote:
Anyway; If you can write up a nice ToS for the "dump" you should be fine. Just be carefull with hotlinking and leeching as they can bust any transfere limits pretty fast.[/b]
I am working on one right now. I've decided no time limits for download you know. There will also be no isos unless they are under 200mb or 150mb extracted...
Old 14-11-2006, 08:40 PM   #10
troop18546
Home Sweet Abandonia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Burger Meister @ Nov 12 2006, 06:01 AM) [snapback]266480[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Don't want to trouble me? I don't understand!
[/b]
What I meant was that I don't want to use up your bandwith by uploading or downloading (i.e. leeching) smth off your soon to be site. That's all. I got a lot of stuff (mainly games) I could share, but I'd use up a lot of your space.
troop18546 is offline                         Send a private message to troop18546