Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 23-08-2006, 04:44 PM   #1
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

I notice that people still are wondering how they can get dos games working under XP. Maybe the problem isn't that they don't want to read every FAQ, but rather that they have no idea whatsoever what dos-box is all about. Maybe every review could begin with:

Recommended for running this game in:
XP: Dos-box (with link to db faq/dl) or VDMSound (link)
Win9x: and so on...

in bold letters or something, right before the review starts.

Maybe it could be done at the download page instead.
Old 24-08-2006, 03:38 AM   #2
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

Well, isn't that why we have the compatibility icons?

If Win XP isn't listed in the compatibility (which is way at the top, before the review even begins), then there is no point in trying it in Win XP, is there?
Old 24-08-2006, 02:42 PM   #3
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

My point was that maybe the choise of words could be better, and that "compatible with db" doesn't give any clues if you're ignorant to dos-box in the first place. "Recommended" does that, well to me anyway or even "Strongly recommended". If the dl page goes through a "You REALLY want db for this one", then it pretty much nails it, I'd say.

Anyway, just a thought.
Old 24-08-2006, 03:06 PM   #4
Icewolf
Il Lupone

Send a message via ICQ to Icewolf

I agree with what you say.
On the other hand everything is explained and pointed out sufficiently. Probably it's the ignorant user's prob if he can't read properly.
Or do you think that's too rude?

I remember me gettin' in was like: What the hell is DosBox? I wondered in the first place. Then there's DosBox providing a help as well how it is to be operated.

Or is that too advanced thinking?
Old 24-08-2006, 03:11 PM   #5
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

I think the problem is that "these noobs" are completly unaware of dos-box as a dos emu. By saying "compatible with db" it's like "compatible? ok. so what? I want the game, not some dos-something". So yeah you're way ahead of them. The trick is to force them to become aware of dos-box as an emu NEEDED to play those games, in a sneaky (?) manner.
Old 24-08-2006, 03:18 PM   #6
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

But a sneaky manner without pop-ups is hard. And we have a 0 tolerance towards pop-ups.

Edit:
I don't mean to sound like a pessimist, here. I think that the idea sounds interesting, but as an admin I need to also consider if it is needed. Is there a real benefit? Or is it just a lot of work, that no-one will read? Right now I am leaning towards the second option, as each game page has the Compatibility icons, and most reviews have a bold part at the bottom detailing Technical Info on how to get the game running. If the icons and the bolded info isn't enough, then I assume that the problem lies with the downloader. That he/she do not read the review. But that they are only after the download. As such, giving them more text isn't going to lead anywhere.
Old 24-08-2006, 03:36 PM   #7
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

About the icon: THe reason I suggested this, was because I don't think people understand what it really means.

About pop-ups: You don't need that. All you need is to direct them to a dl page that contains the "YOU WANT DOS-BOX TO RUN THIS" above the dl button.

About reviews: I noticed that a great number of the dl-ers wanted that game that they already knew. Therefor they probably don't read the review. But a "strategically placed" RECOMMENDED FOR RUNNING: DOS-BOX on the other hand? Well, I've said my line. I'll leave it to you guys to figure out wheter it's worth it or not.
Old 24-08-2006, 04:27 PM   #8
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

That could be an option, I think, but it would need to be created so that it will only give such a disclaimer when there is no Win XP icon. And of course there has to be a DOSBox icon. Some games run in DOS and WDMSound, for instance. And others again run in WinFrotz